Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:02:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Hamlin lake

Started by kgr624, February 08, 2006, 03:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgr624

Question? Anybody ever fish Hamlin lake in Ludington?
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

Andy

Dan

Come on Andy. Yes is all you got. You know you forgot to tell him it is one of the best multispecies lakes around. Good green fish, brownies, tiger muskies, walleye and as many pike as you can stand to take off your line. You'll also tie into some of the biggest dogfish around there as well. They'll rip a spinnerbait rod out of your hand. There is one article on Hamlin on the teardropbass.com website. One of the problems at Hamlin is parking at ramps. They don't have a place to launch many boats from. Wilson Hill Park off Jebavy Rd. is where almost all the tournaments run out of. As you come into Ludington on 10 going toward downtown turn right on Jebavy which is at the corner where the Burger King is.  At the ramp there is probably parking for 9 or 10 rigs maybe. Up on the road room for another 10 or so and then you have to park along the road or use one of the smaller ramps, there are two or three smaller ones. By the way if you go there I have a camera bag with a digital video camera, a still camera, and a hand held GPS floating around in the north end. The lake is basically a flooded river mouth. You can't get out to the big lake though because of a dam. There is a state park on the south end of the south lake. Lots of bayous, flats, wood, plenty of weeds and just a fun place to fish.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

gnewski5

kgr624,

Hamlin is a riot to fish. Like Dan said, lots of fish, lots of ways to fish for them. Weeds, rocks, wood, rocks, drops what ever tickles your fancy.And with right around 5000 acres the lake doesn't seem buisy at all. We had just under a 3 lb. average win last year,we're going back this year.

We used the ramp at the state park. Good parking. Theres only 1 dock, but there wasn't any congestion at all. $6 for parking though. 

Andy

The ramp at the state park is VERY nice. As for fishing grab a crankbait and hit the main lake drops, You never know what you will hook up with,but always a good time.

spinninbug

I grew up on Hamlin it is by far my favorite lake of all.  My husband wasn't all that fond of it until he met me.  I showed him a thing or two.  Now he likes it too.  Last year we had our club up for a two day tournament there,  I fished with one of the guys that is considered one of the best in the club,  I never thought I would hear him say this,  but at about two o'clock he said you know I'm getting tired of catching fish,  we had a riot.  Like Dan said you never now what your going to catch.  This is one of the reasons I have a problem with down state lakes (St. Clair, Gun, Gull,  Devils)  there can be boats on this lake and it doesn't seem busy.  You can at least get away from boat traffic up in the wonderful north.  Not just on hamlin but on other lakes too.  But Hamlin is the best!!!! :)
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

gnewski5

spinningbug,

Sounds like your from up that way. Have you ever been on Hodenpyle dam pond? Its just southwest of Mesick. You can see it from 37 as your headin north. Ive got some huntin property up there at 37 and 10. Going to be up at Hamlin for 2 days in July for a tourny. Thinking on leaving early and trying Hodenpyle for a day or two, Just wondering how it was?

kgr624

Hey thanks for all the input but acutually i posted that up to see if people knew of this awsome lake. I actually bought a lot on one of the indain bayou up there about 3 years ago and I have fished and practiced on this lake every weekend in the summer in those 3 years. But it is awsome to hear that everyone thinks the same as me about thsi lake. Best decision I have made with my money is buying that lot let me tell you.

spinninbug

I haven't been,  I have fished tippy though.  We have talked about it but never made it over there.  I know alot of people that camp up there and fish for eyes though and love it.

Good luck on Hamlin,  we don't fish it until August.  :(
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

Dan

Well, if you are heading up there and want to bass fish Hodenpyle would not be my first choice. Unless you know the water take along a second lower unit. There are trees in 30 foot of water! We use to have a tournament on the backwaters there and after two years we scrapped it. I have never been too impressed with it unless you are after walleyes. There are definitely smallies to be caught there but midsummer it is more than tough. Spend more of your time on Hamlin or if you are up as far as Hodenpyle you are only another 15 -20 minutes from Duck and Green Lake at Interlochen. If you want to stay closer to Hamlin there is always Pentwater, Manistee, and Portage Lake in Onekama. M37 and US 10 is a stones throw from where I have a cabin. I'm about 20 minutes west of there.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

kgr624

Dan,
      yeah been to all those lakes and actually portage is not a bad lake I have caught a couple nice 5 pounders out of there but i can't seem to catch them on tournament days up there though. Also smallies at Pentwater are awsome too.

djkimmel

Hodenpyle was interesting. A loooonnngg time ago, I fished a team tournament there (I believe it was a Teardrop event) and I had never been on a lake before that time that had trees just under the surface in 30+ feet of water in the middle of nowhere.

We caught one of the only limits and won by fishing logs on the bottom and weed patches in the main lake. Nothing big, but the locals said they were slamming TOADS up the river - they just apparently didn't get them on tournament day. We were too chicken to run up the river.

It might be fun for a day of different kind of fishing, but be very careful and don't run around carelessly. Fish to the east of the big campground. Or go up the river very carefully. There are a lot of better lakes up in that area.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

gnewski5

Thanks for the info on Hodenpyle everyone.

kgr624, sorry the thread got off topic. We will be there(at Hamlin) July 15th and 16th. We'll be weighing in at 2:00 at the state park. Stop on by and say hi.

Greg Wisniewski

kgr624

Greg,
       Will be there!!!!

Skulley

There are so many lakes in this state that I am anxious to try.  I have never fished anything west of Lansing or north of Gaylord.  I am finally going to go to Burt/Mullett this year.  I am excited about that.  Camping with the family and annual out of town 2 day Bass Tournament with my club.

BD      ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Dan

Any time you get a hankerin give me a holler and we'll go fishing over here on the sunset coast.

Skulley

Thanks Dan.....I just may do that.......... :D

BD    ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com