Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:34:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Dressing the part

Started by McCarter, November 07, 2007, 08:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dashaver63

I never thought of wearing tournament logo shirts as free advertizing for the billion dollar company's, unless you're a Kevin Vida, KVD or Ike. Someone thats recognized in our sport as a "superstar". Rather if I would wear Berkley, Stren or something of that nature, it's just a product I have faith in. When I go to a BFL and see someone wearing a logo shirt, it's not going to make me run out and buy that product, even if that person might win that event. Sure, I want it as bad or worse as anyone, but right now I'll buy and wear tournament shirts next year, not for anyone elses benefit but my own. I just look at those shirts and hats as another product that company offers, just like line, lures etc.

LAPORTE

I just started fishing last year. At the end of the season I picked up a tourney shirt. It that happens to be the brand of boat I was fishing out of and I thought it looked nice. The first time I wore it my mentor whom is in his late 50's and an old tourney fisherman asked me why I came to the launch with my PJ's on. At first I was a little bummed then I thought to myself why am I really wearing this thing.... the answer was quick to come into my head. I wanted to show him that I was committed to learning all that I could and was taking things more seriously. Kinda putting on your game face if you will and I think that I have more confidence when I fish if I look the part of a fisherman.  ;D 

my .02

Rookie Don L
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

yukonjack2

Dan - intersting collection of ideas here.  If there is interest in the GLB logo wear, and no development budget - any chance of makeing the ebroider file avaialble fo everyones use and creativity?  Just a thought as long as there are certain guidlines followed such as pantene color requirements to protect the integrity of your logo.

This way anyones personal preference from golf shirts to PJ's could be GLB monogramed.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

motocross269

What I did this year is just bought a BPS fishing shirt and had my name embroidered on it...It looks nice...I am not endorsing any products...and My boater can find me in a crowd..
Alot of the boaters have bad eyesight (too much sun) and can't remember you from the draw..... ;D ;D

Waterfoul

Very well put Dan (in the post several above this one).   My wed. night partner (he is 16, will be 17 next season) and I are getting some team shirts next year.  Not all the patches or logos on them will be fishing related.  I have several freinds who own smaller local buisnesses and they have all agreed to let me use their logo on our shirts.  One of my friends owns an embroidery shop and has agreed that as long as she can put her company name on them, she'll do the sewing and embroidery for "nearly nothing."    Now I just need to find the shirts we want.  Too bad that link in McCarter's first post is all Berkely stuff.  I honestly use very little berkley product so it would not be my first choice in shirts.  I'll probably go with some Tracker shirts (I run a Tracker) or something from a company I use a lot of product from (such as Yamamoto or Netbait or Powerpro).

Mike
(patch pirate extroidonaire!)  LOL!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Skip Johnson

If you own and use a product and are happy to wear the logo more power to you and if you feel more confident doing so then you gotta wear it, you can throw the worst bait on the market but if you have confidence in it you will catch fish with it, its all about confidence!
I like tourney shirts I think it helps look the part I just dont like a guy with 20 patches looking like hes a big endorsed pro when he is not but hey if thats your thing and it helps you feel better then do it.

Go Big or Go Home!

fish hound

Does anyone who wears the tourney shirts find that being so recognizable is actually a detriment when you find that sweet spot and weigh in the big sack?  Guys all over it the next time you go there or driving by you doing the double click on the lowrance WPT button everywhere you go?  I've heard about it way too much.  I know if you're good, you're good, but some times it is the spot.  I'd rather be the guy you don't even notice in the sleeveless t-shirt or no shirt at all so when I do bring in a good sack (VERY RARE) you say "who the hell was that".  You can be the SWAT team guy, really "In your face", or the sniper, "where did that come from?".  To each his own.

My .02

Waterfoul

Quote from: fish hound on November 09, 2007, 05:16:41 PM
Does anyone who wears the tourney shirts find that being so recognizable is actually a detriment when you find that sweet spot and weigh in the big sack?  Guys all over it the next time you go there or driving by you doing the double click on the lowrance WPT button everywhere you go?  I've heard about it way too much.  I know if you're good, you're good, but some times it is the spot.  I'd rather be the guy you don't even notice in the sleeveless t-shirt or no shirt at all so when I do bring in a good sack (VERY RARE) you say "who the heck was that".  You can be the SWAT team guy, really "In your face", or the sniper, "where did that come from?".  To each his own.

My .02

Well, around here everyone knows I'm good so they are always marking my spots anyway!!  LOL!!!

Just kidding.  ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Quote from: yukonjack2 on November 08, 2007, 09:18:49 PM
Dan - intersting collection of ideas here.  If there is interest in the GLB logo wear, and no development budget - any chance of makeing the ebroider file avaialble fo everyones use and creativity?  Just a thought as long as there are certain guidlines followed such as pantene color requirements to protect the integrity of your logo.

This way anyones personal preference from golf shirts to PJ's could be GLB monogramed.

Jack

I haven't had the logo digitized yet in any size. Each size costs $90 to $120+ to digitize in one machine format. Last I knew, there is only one format that can be used on several machine brands too. I like my present logo - may sharpen it up one of these days, but not everyone likes it. It shows good on some things and not so good on others, but I think embroidery might be okay.

I'm personally thinking about going to the printed shirt route, but the one drawback to those is they are usually a one shot deal to look any good. Some will embroider them later, but it doesn't appear to turn out too well because of the fabric.

I really do appreciate that some people are willing to put it on their apparel. I'll get the logo digitized one of these days. I still spend more than I take in at the moment, but that is not uncommon in the early development days of a new enterprise. I haven't put a ton of time into the apparel and logo area just because demand is still pretty low - have to use the available time where it is best spent - right now in content and services. Plenty to do there already.

When and if the demand, time and capital all come together, I'll get more options out there.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BryanP

Quote from: cast n blast on November 08, 2007, 08:10:34 AM
heres my 2 cents worth.
I think tourney shirts and smart dressing represent us better in the public eye rather than a bunch of tired guys wearing wife beaters or old beat up favorite fishing shirts BUT******
I would never wear or promote a product that Im not being paid to promote and I dont mean getting product at a discounted price either, Bass fishing is a sport and that makes us athletes and us athletes have to pay to play  :o

you dont see athletes in other telivised sports paying to play... nope they get paid to be there in most cases wether they win or lose and sponsers pay them to wear and promote their product!
look at the investments we all make, we buy boats tow vehicles and equiptment totaling near or above $100k then we pay huge entry fees with 65% or less payback and 75% or more of the participants walk away thousands of dollors behind, hmmmm somethings wrong here guys!!!!!
as long as all these patch pirates keep giving free advertising were never going to get paid to play in the sport of fishing unless your one of the rich or very fortunate.
look at other athletes and tv shows when they use a product that their not being paid to promote they cover up the logo....yet fisherman are running all over the country showing logos that they usualy had to pay for.... smart on the corporate end but where does that leave the fisherman ::)

All these brand name corporate sponsers with millions of dollors paying FLW  B.A.S.S. ABA and other tournament organizations to promote theyre logos and we still only get 65% or less pay back ???
wheres all that sponser money going?
why are our paybacks not increasing since the organizers obviousley are now making money from sponsers and not just from our entries?
then we promote their logos for free ???
have you heard the phrase a fool and theyre money are soon parted? well my oppinion is there is a bunch of desperate fools out there that want to make a living soo bad in the fishing industry that they want to look the part so they PAY for shirts or wear free hats and all these big name corporations are getting free advertising hmmmm again whos the smart one and who's the fool ::) do you think that wearing and promoting a product will get you money? nope not a dime unless your in theyre program and lets face it 99% of the patch wearing guys/gals are not part of any program!

now that there is $$$ in fishing with telivision and media coverage alot more of us could make a living fishing and promoting if we all banded together and stopped giving free advertising.

In 2006 I had a reel company offer me a pro staff position, the deal was I had to use just their reels, I had to work 3 fishing shows a year and would get paid $150 a day to do so***BUT*** I had to pay for the reels at a 40% discount and they were generous enough to sell me my tourney shirt with theyre logo at a 40% discount as well :o
the reels retail price was $249 but they would sell me the reel at $150 ??? I keep 16 reels in my boat so 16 x $150 = $2400 to be on their pro staff :o
I didnt do it but someone in this state did, it proves that their is a bunch of dumb guys in this sport and we need to smarten up!

by the way Im not refering to shirts like GLBass.com Im refering to the million dollor corporate logos.
Dan I will wear your shirt anytime ;D

Skip, you're not really comparing apples to apples here.  As someone who works in the industry, I thought maybe I would give my two cents.  There's a big difference between the local BFL or club level fishermen and the guys fishing at the highest level.  If you want to compare them to "athletes", the BFL guys more like playground athletes compared to professional anglers fishing at the highest level on TV.  Athletes playing pick-up basketball games at the local park, or the local softball league don't get paid, and neither should the guy who wins a couple NBAA Tuesday Nighters or even a BFL.  I'm not saying those guys don't have some promotional value in some way,  but unless you're top tier on the highest level, you shouldn't expect to get paid cash (of course there are always excetions).  Heck, there are a lot of guys at the top level who aren't getting paid, and some (actually a lot) aren't even getting free product.  The fact is the promotional/advertising budgets in the fishing indutry aren't unlimited, as many would like to think.  I just spent the better half of 2 months working with the prostaff coordinator of a major company trying to decide who gets what and how much.  If I want to add somebody who's really deserving, it's like pulling teeth.  The number of applicants increase every year, and the budget allocation either stays the same of decreases.  These guys get an average of 40 prostaff requests DAILY, everyday!  You really have to look at where you're going to get the most exposure, and that's not always easy to figure out since some of the biggest names aren't always the most visible or the greatest promoters.   

I can tell you one of the best ways to get noticed, and something I pay a lot of attention to, are guys who already use the product.  Very rarely do I consider people for prostaff who aren't already using the product.  And by prostaff, I mean "promotional" staff--which is likely what you were offered from the reel company, Skip.  And that "deal" probably wasn't worth your while, but for somebody who already uses that product, it's probably is.  Think about it--the opportunity to make some money basically talking fishing during the off season, and get a substantial discount on a product you already use.  Not to mention the networking opportunities.  This is a small industry and word travels fast--both good and bad.  I like to pick people who 1) use the product, 2) can communicate well, 3) don't mind working a few days at a show, and 4) aren't necessarily the top fishermen, but always act professionally.

And promoting a company's logo really doesn't have much value, unless you're a top tier guy.  More and more companies are realizing this, and thus allocating their advertising resources elsewhere (ie: the internet, TV only where they get actual show airtime with product use, etc...)

As for tournament trails and their paybacks, they're a business, and they need to make money in order to stick around.  Again, everybody "thinks" they know how much it costs to run one of these organizations, but you never really know until you try it yourself.

Motorcross--regarding polo shirts, I can tell you they cost 3 times as much as t-shirts, as I just went through that as well!

Wearing logos never hurts, especially if you end up doing well in a major event and get some press.  It shows you're conscious of your image, and could get you noticed--it might be your "foot in the door" so to speak.  And you never know where that photo might come in handy somewhere whether it's a cover shot for a fishing resume or whatever.  Now I'm not talking about gaudy "patch pirate" type shirts where there are 12 logos from all competing companies plastered all over a tournament shirt.  But something more like a polo shirt or t-shirt with a single logo or a hat.

djkimmel

Bryan - thanks for taking the time to put things from the perspective that most of us need to know - very valuable, and clarifies many things.

I still don't like the term 'patch pirate' but you've kind of defined it here - maybe I need to add it to the tournament angler's dictionary if I can get it defined fairly clear - might help a few anglers in the future to avoid some embarrassment? Although it takes all kinds...?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

I myself try to stick to wearing what I think I look good in.  Tacky as that sounds, appearance is everything.  If all of a sudden you get in the zone and start consistantly cashing checks, sponsors, companies, people start to notice.  All of a sudden, you got a name.  I tend to wear a lot of Dodge logo clothes.  Why???  Well for one thing it ties to my bi-weekly paycheck at Chrysler, LLC.  I figure if I do well and I have a Dodge hat or t-shirt on then maybe someone who sees me wearing one may consider a Dodge vehicle.  I have some other sponsors but I want to sell Chrysler vehicles so that my company can prosper which means I will prosper.  Just another way of looking at this subject. 

On another look, some people will wear logo wear because they want to be a part of something.  Everyone likes to be a part of something.  It's human nature.  They feel if they wear the Quantum shirt, the Daiwa hat, the boat company logo wear, then they feel like they are a part of something be it the fishing industry or whatever and what is so wrong with that.  And who cares what others think.  I certainly don't.  And what makes one man better than any other.  Nothing......absolutely nothing.

BD             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

dashaver63

fiker

I have two GLB T shirts.  I wear one or the other to every DK open, and to the East Side Bass Anglers events. 

I have one GLB sticker on each side of my boat. 
I advertise for Dan because I really like this forum, and I have a personal interest in seeing it continue.  I know that DK's not a rich man, (contrary to popular belief), and he's just trying to keep the site up and make a go.

My favorite fishing hat is just a hat with an embroidered smallie on the front. 
Nobody wants to pay me to wear their stuff, and I'm not paying them to advertise for them. 
Unless I really like the style or it was the only way to get something I wanted.  Take rain gear for example.  It's tuff to buy what you want and not advertise for somebody.
I have no problem with those that do wear logo type stuff.  That's their decision.  I just don't do it.
However, if I had me a brand new Ranger I might be inclined to wear some of their Ranger stuff if it came with the boat.......
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Skip Johnson

I wear skeeter stuff becouse they will pay me if I win a tourney with 30 or more boats and I proudley paid for and display my GLBass.com sticker becouse Dan works hard for good causes and tries to help us fisherman out to ;)
Go Big or Go Home!

Skulley

Skip and fiker both have great reasons for wearing what they do and it makes perfect sense.   :)  Like I said before, it is all about looking good.  What looks good to one may not look good to someone else and so what????  And to all the "Patch Pirates" out there, if you think you look good.....then you do and who cares what anyone else thinks.  You look good.  If your wife buys you something that she thinks you will look good in when your fishing.....well you better wear it.  Other wise she is going to get your house, your car, and what a terrible thought this is... :'(.....your boat.  So when you're at Hooter's and your looking at the Hottie serving up your wings....just remember......house, car, boat.

BD         ;D       
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

If I was rich... it'd be Rangers and patches for everyone!! Well, there might be a couple people I'd just buy cushions for ;D

But Rick, I'd make sure you got a brand spanking new Ranger Z520 with a Yamaha V-Max HPDI 250!!!

Waterfoul

Quote from: UAWBigDog on December 03, 2007, 06:10:30 PM
Skip and fiker both have great reasons for wearing what they do and it makes perfect sense.   :)  Like I said before, it is all about looking good.  What looks good to one may not look good to someone else and so what????  And to all the "Patch Pirates" out there, if you think you look good.....then you do and who cares what anyone else thinks.  You look good.  If your wife buys you something that she thinks you will look good in when your fishing.....well you better wear it.  Other wise she is going to get your house, your car, and what a terrible thought this is... :'(.....your boat.  So when you're at Hooter's and your looking at the Hottie serving up your wings....just remember......house, car, boat.

BD         ;D       

This is why I remain SINGLE!!!!  Bring on the hooterwings!!

dashaver63

Bieng married isn't all that bad, I just wish it came with an
on-off switch! (just kidding......or am I?)

motocross269

Dan K, If your taking orders for those Rangers I will take a 621vs with a 250HP whatever..I already have a couple of Ranger shirts and hats so I will let you off of the hook there..
(I got beat up pretty good by Team Bass when I wore my Ranger hat to the last club meeting now that I am in a Bass Cat.)