Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Baitcaster

Started by kgr624, February 07, 2006, 03:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgr624

If anyone out there was to pick from these baitcasters what one would you pick and why?

Quantum Energy pt
Quantum pt Tour
Diawa Viento
Diawa Sol
Shimano Curado(2006)

I am buying one or two of these but are having a hard time deciding. If you have used any of these please let me know what you think or heard.
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

MBell

Shimano Cuardo, because I haven't had any problems yet.  I also haven't tried the redesigned model, why did they change it?  If you go with quantum buy the nicer models like the pt's you have listed the lower end stuff will only last so long. 
-Matt

yukonjack2

I would second the curado - they changed it for marketing I am sure to keep up with the pt's.  I have a few old style curados, and they are nothing short of great!  I looked at that viento, seems kinda gimmicky with the twitching bar.  The sol seemed ok, but had little line capacity - I'd go with a 50 mg if you are looking for light and small.

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

Hooksetter

I would say buy the best reels you can, no matter the brand. If you fish alot, the cheaper models just don't hold up.

I found this out the expensive way. I ended up replacing all of my 'cheaper reels' after a few years with high end reels and I wish would have bought the better reels the first time around. I would have had more money for tackle.

I use Shimano reels exclusively now and have complete confidence in them. They have never let me down.
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

kgr624

thanks for the input i think i am going to go with one curado and one Energy PT. Has anyone heard of the best antibacklash reel? I have gotten really good fishing with the lower end models like the Quantum Kevin Vandam model so going to something that is really nice is going to make my fishing days a lot more enjoyable.
Your either getting better or worse you never just stay the same

Savage

You can't go wrong with the Curado, I have not tried the new one, but they know how to make them.  I like the smaller version, the 100 size.  I use them all day without getting tired . :)
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

blakstr1

the curados are nice, but not sure about the new ones..supposedly nothing is the same, different shape, feel, and weight.  I've been partial to the Quantums as of late..the PT energy is awesome, the Quantum spinning reels are the best on the market IMO, too..i've got a Shimano stradic spinning reel which was my favorite until I got the Quantums, the perform much better...again IMO..
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Bulletproof

Curado.

I bought a couple low end daiwa spinning reels, cant think of the name right off hand but very pleased as well.
I am haunted by waters.

fishon1219

Curado for sure. This will be my 5th season with them and I have never done any maintenance on them. You would think that being the Maintenance manager for a truck plant I would like to tear all kinds of things apart, but the only way I like to get my hands dirty is with ink from my pen or the extra sauce that drips out of the big mac I am eating. You cant go wrong with the Curado
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

McCarter

Curado Curado Curado.

I have fished with nothing but shimano for the past 8 years.  Never had a problem with any of them.  I have 3 curado super frees and i love them. 

Last year my buddy wanted to buy a baitcaster ( his first ).  I tried to talk him into a curado but he wanted to be 'different'.  He went with a Quantum PT.  He bought it 2 days before our annual trip to Long Lake and the gears stripped on his second cast of the trip.  Needless to say, he was using one of my curados for the rest of the trip.  But the thing that got me was, he loved my curado so much that he took his Quantum back and exchanged it for................................. another Quantum????  Go figure.

I am buying a Chronarch Mg at the BPS Spring classic.  It weighs 5.9 oz.  Lightest baitcaster on the market ( as far as i know ).  I took an Airrus rod over to my buddys house who has the Mg and put it on my rod and weighed it.  Just under 10 oz.  Now thats a sweet set up.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

smbassman

From what I have heard, the new Shimano Citica is actually better than the previous Curado but it's still at the same price point ($119).  But I agree with what has been said, the green curados opened my eyes to a whole new world.  That's why I just bought up three more of the old curados to get them before their gone.

Buying a new high end reel has always given me a lot of heartburn, because you never really now how they will perform until you get them on the water and use them for a season.  I've been burned by Quantum many years ago, on a baitcaster that was absolute junk so I have not had the guts to try another one.

Cheetam

When you are looking to spend 2 bills on a reel, chances are you are getting a fine piece of machinery.  I am a big shimano fan and use Curados, Curado SFs and a Castaic SF.  I haven't had a single problem with any of them.  I have only heard a few reviews of the 2006 Curado, and so far everything sounds pretty positive.
Jeff