Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:35:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Monroe Hot Ponds on 12/13/15

Started by YpsiBass, December 13, 2015, 06:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YpsiBass

Had a small get together with people from GreatLakesBass.com and bassboatcentral.com.  5 or 6 boats altogether and I lost track of how many people came out, but from this site there was me, Dan Kimmel, hollada, dartag, bob o, manxfishing, bigjc, mojo, frank, and 21XDC.  21XDC was kind enough to let me sit shotgun in his Bullet bass boat. Air temps were in the low 60s for most of the day which was unseasonably warm for December. Water temps just outside the hot pond were 56 degrees and 64 degrees inside. The bass bite was tough, but I think everyone caught at least one.  Not only LM and SM bass, but we also caught sheepshead, carp, white bass, bluegill, catfish, walleye, and shad. About the only gamefish we didn't catch were musky and pike.  Sheepshead and carp on blade baits.  All the LM bass in our boat were on spinnerbaits, jigs, or blade baits. I'll let the other guys add their own impressions, but posting a few pics and maybe a video as well.

YpsiBass

More pics

YpsiBass

Even more pics.

YpsiBass

djkimmel

It was fun. We had a pretty good day with the on toad smallmouth and another keeper smallie. Then a decent number of largemouth bass including 3 quality chunkers and all those big, fat white bass if you tried to catch them on a jerkbait, small crankbait or Reaper Rig! We didn't do much blade-baiting because we were enjoying the largemouth bass on crankbaits and jerkbaits.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

There were tons of gar in the back but they didn't seem interested in lures for some reason. They were swarming along the surface though. I hope to go back again now. I can imagine at times the bite can be a lot better but it was getting a pretty good amount of pressure. We found by keeping moving and moving into areas that hadn't been fished in a short time we could pop a few more bass like 3 keepers in 3 casts in one of those outflows. I'd be temped to go back with ultralight and spend time fishing for those big white bass again actually. That would be awesome for kids and people who don't get to fish a lot!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Firefighter Jeff

Thanks for posting the pics and the guy's screen names !!!!!  The video was cool.  That from your phone Rick ???

YpsiBass

dartag

You guys did look cool coming in.  Should have had some loud music playing. 

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: YpsiBass on December 17, 2015, 09:17:58 AM
Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on December 15, 2015, 08:09:49 PMThat from your phone Rick ???

Yeah iPhone 6 Plus held onto with a death grip.

I literally laughed out loud on the Death grip comment !!  :)

djkimmel

Funny hearing the guys in that one boat thought you were going to die running so fast... ;D

It was a fun day. Glad you put it together and got me a boater to ride along with. Thanks again Kyle!

dartag

Everyone needs to save a vacation day and do it mid November.  We did 2 trips on a weekday and were the only boat in there both days.  Fish catching was a lot better without the crowds. 

21XDC

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: dartag on December 17, 2015, 03:04:40 PM
Everyone needs to save a vacation day and do it mid November.  We did 2 trips on a weekday and were the only boat in there both days.  Fish catching was a lot better without the crowds. 

My schedule is very favorable for trips during the week.  :)

djkimmel

Me too if you decide to bring your own boat and need a guide. :) We would just need favorable winds and the continuance of no ice.

Firefighter Jeff

I'd need someone to help me out with gps coordinates to get in there.

djkimmel

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on December 20, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
  I'd need someone to help me out with gps coordinates to get in there.

Like I said, we just needed favorable winds with no ice in the harbor and in we go! It was fun!