Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:57:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Weed spraying

Started by Savage, February 04, 2006, 07:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savage

Here's a question....  where should a guy look for fish when the lake has just been sprayed for weeds?  Does the spray affect the fish, and make them "sick" or anything?  Where should I target?  In the upper end of the lake, in the current? ???
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Bassman24

Go to another lake.  ;) 

Dan may have good insight on this topic.

I know every lake I have fished being recently chemically treated shuts the bite down dramatically. And unfortunately, I have yet to figure out if they move shallower, deeper or become so drugged up they can't bite.

I am probably stating the obvious here but lakes that are treated are usually heavily weed infested. Because bass are structure oriented, I would assume most of the bass in that lake live in and out of those weeds. Those chemicals must be like a fire going through a home.  All of a sudden, they have nothing to relate too, food has been scattered and there is oxygen depletion.  I'd say that would mess me up too.

I do find it sad that our DNR and lake associations continually state there is no harm to the fisheries they are dumping in.  Maybe they are right, it does not affect the fish directly, but it sure does indirectly

GT
George Terrien

Champion Boats - www.championboats.com

OPTIMA Batteries - www.optimabatteries.com.

NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge - www.nbaabass.com

Highest Honor - www.highesthonor.biz

K&E Team Stopper - www.stopperlures.com

djkimmel

When weeds die, they use up valuable oxygen in the water. Low oxygen is hard on larger fish like bass. It takes anywhere from one to two weeks for the bass to get back into their normal behavior on average from what I've read and seen firsthand.

The more heavily weeded areas will have worse off fish, so go to less heavily weeded areas or move out to the farthest edge and know the fish will probably be lethargic.

Of course, I've seen a huge boom in bass fishing at the one to two week margin when things stabilize and they go back on the feed. The bass are also more vulnerable because their cover has shrunk. Anytime gamefish are more vulnerable because of man's unnatural affects, I worry about longterm effects.

I think we may have more of any ally than we think within the MDNR Fisheries on this issue. It is the Dept of Env. Quality that actually issues the permits and the MDNR would prefer more cooperation between the two departments. It came up repeatedly during the bass season meetings that this was the most common issue of concern with bass anglers across the state, and particularly on the west side.

This will be a good area for future work for bass anglers, and with our new and improved relationship with the MDNR Fisheries Division. Certain weed treatments are much harder on the lakes than others. Sometimes, more acreage is treated than permitted. We anglers may be able to impact that.

As far as more to the point of the original questions, I would think current and wind action would be better targets too because you could expect those areas to have more oxygen probably, and therefore more active fish. I don't know that bass leave an area completely and move long distances, especially if we are talking inland largemouths. I think they move only as far as they have to and become inactive. Enough oxygen depletion over a large enough area could kill bass, especially if other stress factors are already involved.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

I would be happy to jump on the bandwagon for that issue.  Weedkills mess up a lot of good lakes and a lot of good fishing.  The residents of the lake are mostly water and jet skiers.  Not that  many fisherman.  The only way we can effect this is exactly what Dan says.  The MDNR realizes the impact, but the DEQ doesn't seem to care.  Department of Environmental Quality.  What I would like to know is:  Environmental Quality for who???????   Those that live on the lake or in the lake????   Well the residents on the lake have $$$$$$.   The residents in the lake don't.  They rely on us.  I am in when the federation or any organization is ready to go toe to toe on this issue.

BD       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

It will be a priority issue as we move forward.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

h2o

It's poison. What else needs to be known? I was on a lake one morning and here comes the sprayer. I zipped off the lake in record time and before I left I got a whiff of the poison and it smelled nasty. There's cutters to control weeds but noooo? it's harder to do so what the heck lets drop a bomb on what ever's there and make it quick.? :(

h2o<--says it kills.
BE HAPPY TO BE PART OF ALL YOU SEE

McCarter

I used to fish White Lake in Highland quite a bit when i bought my first boat.

They used to spray that lake like crazy.  We always found the fishing was better moving out to deeper water and fishing sparse flats in 12 - 20 feet of water.

PoorBoy himself  :-\'

Savage

I'll try it out deeper......
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks