Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:50:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Canada fishing ban in Sandusky BFL?

Started by smbassman, August 08, 2007, 05:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smbassman

dashaver63

Don't really know. It's weird that FLW/BFL would close Canada. It's supposed to be nice this week-end too. Are you fishing as a boater or non-boater? We have our Ohio Federation State Qualifier this week-end also, out of Lorain so Ruggles and Avon Point might see a little more traffic Saturday.

djkimmel

I don't know why for sure. Early on, there were some influences from just a few people who were really pushing over the VHS issue that had people thinking they had to make all their final decisions immediately. I said wait a while, but Ohio decided to act then without waiting.

I believe this influence is why the TBF Northern Divisional is open to Ohio waters only. I wonder that it is behind the BFL decision too. Ohio has shown a propensity for what I consider in my personal opinioin to react too soon to not enough information such as when they gave up 2 months of their Lake Erie bass season with no data to support that need. Anglers being told to react before it is too late in case data actually came up that showed a reaction was necessary - a cart before the horse situation if I've ever seen one.

May be totally unrelated, but I can definitely understand the pressures a group of people can put on organizations to make 'decisions' that might otherwise not be made too. Happens fairly often.

There's also questions about what Ontario is or isn't doing about some of their regulations that could be involved. Again, more regulation that is probably related to what anglers think they need, or those who 'manage' the resource think anglers think they need, verses actual scientifically supported needs.

Just pure speculation on my part that doesn't consider that there are also always a certain number of anglers who don't like it that other anglers run anywhere. Maybe that's the reason?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Team houston

I believe it is partly because they have had a big problem with co-anglers not getting Canadien licenses. They just went for a simple solution. Here in Michigan division it is not a problem because most people fish in Canada alot so they buy a license. I think the co's down there balk at buying one for 1 tournament. I have heard a lot of stories about complaining and Arguments.

djkimmel

You know what? You've jogged my memory now. Someone did tell me about that a few weeks ago. That is exactly why they are doing it. Not that I think it is any better of a reason...

But I completely understand, as I stated above, why they did it. You get a handful of people really hammering at you complaining, and sometimes you just give in. Maybe that is even best sometimes...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Buckeyenut313

Co-anglers shouldn't dictate the rules of a tournament. I fished as a co alot and I always accepted the fact that we were going to do whatever the pro wanted to do that day-period. So, I always had a Canadian license, Ohio license, and a Michigan license.If you fish on Erie, as a co angler, you know the chances of fishing in Canada are great, so be prepared or don't bother signing up. When Canada is closed- Ohio fishes very small. This rule is definitely taking away from the tournament- no doubt.

Team houston

djkimmel

Me too! I am still surprised when I draw ANY angler who is unfamiliar with local regulations and doesn't seem to know much about the water. I understand some co's think they have absolutely no control so why do any homework, but I've always been a homework fiend and have never felt I have no control. That is an illusion at best, and a cop out at worst.

yukonjack2

I spoke with some of the ohio folks once the TBF regional was set, and they have made that Ohio only as well.  It is entirely dictated by the co's from the BFL's in the past - they show up without canadian lic. and there is no real easy way to get one from Ohio short of the ferry to  Pelee. No excuses, just a fact.  So, the boater side was complaining to the staff as to what they should do if their co has no canadian Lic and they were headed there - go anyway, and sit them down?  so after much female doging, they took the easy route and just made the water off limits.  Poor choice in my opinion, but its their party - they can run it however they like -

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

Team houston

I do believe that they have phones in Ohio.  1-800-667-1940.  They say to allow 6-8 weeks but it usually comes in one.

dashaver63

I think that was just the worst thing FLW could have done. If you know, or even think you might be fishing a tournament like that, I would think any co-angler with any brains would want to get a Canadian license. Ohio waters on Erie is very tough this time if year. In fact it's a much longer run to any kind of half way productive Ohio water then it is to Canada. If anyone here if fishing the divisional next month, I would get a back-up plan for largemouth and probably use that as a first option. (unless an hour and a half run is what you want to do)

djkimmel

Unless you have ever tried to run tournament circuits, it is hard to understand the pressures you get hit with constantly by people telling everything you're doing wrong, or how you should be doing things.

You listen for patterns that demonstrate a consensus and try not to change all the time. It is a tough, pain-in-the-butt job that I have done before and really don't want to do again.

I do like the idea of closer big largies for a one-time qualifier event. I've always heard it is possible and dabbled in it in the past when I just couldn't bring myself to run (screaming) out past Cedar Pointe.

dashaver63

If I were fishing the Divisional, I would go out of Sandusky Bay through Johnsons Island and head west. Fish the Miller Ferry launch and then head for East Harbor. It's not unheard of to bag at least 15lbs. of green fish in these 2 areas.