Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:29:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Equipment question

Started by smbassman, August 08, 2007, 12:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smbassman

Steve,

Congrats on your big win. 

I had a question about your MinnKota TM.  Do you use a 52" or 62" shaft TM?  I assume it is 52".  I currently have a 45" motorguide that is nearly useless when trying to hold a spot in the real big swells.  I do like the MG Tm's but their 52" shaft comes with the same mount as the 45" shaft.  So when the TM shaft is down all the way and you store it, the motor hangs off the mount.  You have to loosen the shaft mount and slide it up until the motor head is on the mount.  This is not acceptable when bobbing over big swells.

Does the MinnKota 52" shaft have a bigger mount so you can store it with the shaft all the way down? 

I tried asking the MK reps at the FLW show, but they didn't know for sure. 

Thank you!

REEL_MAN

Just got a MAX Pro 80 with the 52" shaft and the bracket is bigger. Works great on the big water.  The only problem is when your in shallow water it's still quite aways down in the water, I still wouldn't go back to the short shaft.

REEL_MAN

djkimmel

If we could all only afford two boats...? The shallow water speed demon with the short TM, and the big water tank with the long long TM for those wonderful windy days when the swells make us think of that last scene in The Perfect Storm...

I think Steve is wrapped up getting ready for the Wonderland Open this weekend, but I'll be talking to him then for more info. He has provided some great information for the web site, but it is me, not him that is holding it up. I'm working on some things - pictures, format and video - as fast as I can.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Buckeyenut313

FWIW-I'm not Steve, not even close, but i have a ranger 621 with a MK 101 with a 62" shaft and the mount is plenty large enough for the motor.

BryanP

I'm not Steve either, but I am the Minn Kota rep for MI.  I wasn't at the FLW, but to answer your question, Yes, the mount on the Maxxum 52" is larger than the 42" and the motor will not hang off the end if stowed all the way down.

Steve is running a 52" shaft.

djkimmel

Thanks for the input guys. I sure wish I would have had a longer shaft yesterday... that Lake Erie is a mean one at times... I tried at around 1 PM to trade for the rest of the day - my 492VS for Cecil Cole's 621 Ranger... but he wouldn't do it. More of these Erie guys are getting the 621 Rangers with the big trolling motors.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.