Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:57:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lake Leelanau

Started by rustydog, August 07, 2007, 11:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustydog

I'm going up to L. Leelanau this Sept. and was wondering if anyone was willing to share a little info? I have never seen the water and don't even know if North and South is connected.

MBell

They are connected, there is a boat launch in the channel that connects them if I remember right.  It's a good lake but nothing compared to east grand traverse bay (elk rapids).  I have limited experience on lelanau from when I was younger so it could be better now.  Never fished it in the fall so who knows, I'd imagine all of those lakes up there get going pretty good in the fall.
-Matt

TheFishinPollock

Are you comming up for the CCBA tourny on the 9th?    Leelanau is a fantastic lake to fish if ya catch it on the right day.  The north lake is a steep drop off lake , but there is not much structure or weedbeds.  It hold a lot of Lakers , big bass, eye's and some pike.  The south lake is basicly a river flooding design. Skinny  with flats and drops scattered around the lake. I can't honestly say which lake is better . They both produce fantastic fish.  I use a lot of big spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, and jerk baits on the flats.  Deep wobble baits on the 20+ drops .  There are other lakes in the area that are good also.  Long lake  , Silver lake, Duck and green, and Lake Ann are close by.  Glenn lake is also a great lake this year up here.  I'll be out practicing for the CCBA the end of the month so you might see me out there. I'll be in an older  gray/ silver ChampioN.  As for the east and west bays this year. Bass fishing was hot this spring, but because of the lack of rain and high temps they have slowed wayyyyy down on the catch rates.   Plus it's a lota water to pick from and it gets very dangerous out there for a bassboat when the wind picks up outa the north or northwest.   good luck to ya and hope to see ya out there.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

rustydog

I'll be fishing Cadillac on the 9th. The rumor is that the Bass Anglers United champ. is on Leelanau on Oct. 5&6 so thats why I was looking for a little info. I just heard today that there was a tour. going out of L Leelanau RV park that day is that the same one you mentioned?

TheFishinPollock

It's the same park but a different club. The CCBA is  the Cherry Capital bass anglers club.  Their open is the 9th of september on lake leelanau.    Is the  one you mentioned an open tourny ? If so I'd love to go over and  whoop up on some out of towners for their cash . lol
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

rustydog

No its not an open. You have to qualify to be in it. You might want to check out their website at www.bassanglersunited.com. All you have to do to qualitfy is fish both their tournaments in one division. The 1st prise is a new Triton.

TheFishinPollock

Cool thanks for the link.   Will they let me trade it for a new Champ. :D
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

hoogie64

Fishing Pollock,

Do you have any contact info for CCBA or anywhere I could get more info on the Charity Tournament?  I did a quick web search and was unable to come up with anything.  Any info would be appreciated.  Have you been on leelanau lately?  Someone was telling me the indians had a bunch of nets on the north lake and the fishing was going downhill.

TheFishinPollock

I am headed  out there next tuesday or wednesday. Wind and weather permitting.  The tourny is on the 9th of September out or leelanau RV Park.  They have a great campground and facilities.  Their # is 231-256-7236 for park info. I'll message you with the # for the Director. They are limiting it to 60 boats this year. 100% payout  down to 10th place. Door prizes for non money boats. $90.00 per boat, includes big bass.   Wave if your out there and see an old gray ChampioN.   as for the nets, I have nbo idea. I have not heard a thing about them. 
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

fishndooder

I was on north three weeks ago practicing and as of that time there were not any nets.  Also I think the indian regulations are a little different for putting nets in inland lakes.  On the other hand I know that glen arbor is packed with nets right now.
brent

TheFishinPollock

Headed out there today .  The rain looks liek its gonan stop by the time I get there.   I'd post a report with info ,but ain' t that helping my compitition.  I'll post something at least , but don't expect it to be really detailed.  ;D
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

TheFishinPollock

Ok. Sorry I didn't get this up sooner.   You guys are in biggggggggggggggggggg troubble this year.    I found fish finally!  ;D ;D  Now if they are just there  next weekend.  Caught a messsssssssssss of perch on the south lake  after tourny hours . Good ole fasion slab fish.   Put some huge rockbass in the boat on the north lake  later in the day too.   The water levels seem to actually be up this year. Weird concidering all other lakes are wayyy down this year.     I didn't find a single net on the north lake at all , and trust me , I was all over it.   Mabye someone else got to cut them free before I did??     

1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Revtro

I was just up there last weekend.  The Leelenau RV camp is very nice.  I stayed there for 4 days.  I didn't fish the lake, but I did notice that there were no bass boats around.  Makes me wonder if there are decent numbers of bass in that lake.  I am considering going back up to fish it, but I was wondering if anyone has gotten into decent bass out there or is it more of a recreational like like Higgins?  All I saw were pontoons and water skiers the whole weekend.  Looks like a beautiful lake though.  I was also driving by several lakes on my way to and from Glen Arbor.  Are some of those hidden bass gems?  I don't get up there much, but I do want to fish next time.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

fishndooder

I just think its that there aren't really that many bass boats in the tc area compared to down state, and with the number of lakes around to chose from chances of seeing any are slim.

brent

TheFishinPollock

Revtro-- There is more pressure on eyes, trout, and perch than the bass., but the lake is chock full of good sized bass and huge smallies up north ifffffffff you can figgure the lake out .  The south is always fished heavier cause its structured like a flooded river impoundment. Theres actually an older Astro on the end of the 1st dock that stays at that park yearly.   They allow a large amount of tournys to go outa that park cause the facilities are fantassssssssssstic like ya said.  Bummer we didn't get to meet up at all. I had an empty seat out there eariler in the week. Glenn lake is good for perch , bass and trout also. Very deep, very clear.  If ya want any other info on the area lakes feel free to ask me. I do some chartering in the TC and elk lake area myself and have a pretty decent knowldge of the lakes.

Matt
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Revtro

Thanks Matt!
I seem to be making a habit of getting up there a few times a year (starting this year :) ) I'd love to get out and fish some of those lakes, especially Elk/Torch.  I'm probably done camping for the year because I'm having camper issues, but I'll be up there a couple of times next year for sure.  Hopefully we can hook up.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Dan

Hey Rev,
We use to have Classics up on Leelanau in late September (It's been over 10 years ago now.). That was back when we weighed 10 fish and it took 10 fish both Classic days to win and then a number of the Classic boats had 10 fish both days. Mainly a smallmouth lake. Some decent largemouth caught at times. During the summer the lake fishes very tough for bass. KVD has done some filming on the lake before. In my opinion, the south lake would be where I would concentrate. Mid lake and south. Lots of flats fishing. Lots of water. Early June you get bass thumb. Just put the boat in gear and steer with the trolling motor till you find beds. Go over them and by the time you turn the big motor off and turn around they will be back.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

skeeterman190

Hey guys skeeterman here was kinda wondering what the weights were to win up here? Just kinda trying do gauge what i came up with on these lakes, and what if anything i need to change? I would say that it prolly takes around 17 lbs to win up here but i could be way off??? I see alot of comments on the South lake, does it get more pressure then the North lake? i seen only maybe 3 or 4 bass boats up there, all on the south lake. thanks again,-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

TheFishinPollock

There is alwaysssssssssss someone that comes in for the CCBA with over 20 lbs. Usually takes at least that to win that tourny skeeter.The south lake does get more pressure cause alota guys get frustrated quickly with the north lake due to the lack of structure. It wil cough up bigger fish than the south usually but ya have to work twice as hard to find them. But the rewards are well worth the long efforts. At least to me they are. I've never caught a bass on north lake that didn't come in at at least 4 pounds.
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

skeeterman190

Well to tell ya the truth im kinda stumped here, im not gonna get into details ive got a new boat and some muchh needed money on the line but... i pre fished both lake one south on saturday and north on sunday ,north had a bigger bag but not by much. i'll just say both were over 20 with north around 23. so i dont know i was just kinda wondering about fishing pressure. you really gotta work for them up there but it seems all the south is a no brainer deal classic fish areas.. thanks for the help-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com