Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:55:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Anyone know the spot in Portage?

Started by 1javelin, July 12, 2007, 11:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1javelin

Just moved here to NW Indiana and have only been out once, an to the Calumet River at that.  Caught a bunch of short Largies right next to Lake Michigan, but not a single Smallie.  Tried to go up river and found it to be more of a creek.  Not good fishing.  Anyways, looking for a good river and some good lakes in the Portage or Valpo area.  Let me know if any of you know anything this way. ;) ;)
Live to fish, Fish to live.

thedude

where did you move in the region? i hail from Lowell, IN moved up to GR in '05.
I can tell you a couple spots to fish near home......
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

1javelin

hey dude, you fished with my partner Tcook on Muskegon for the Firecracker I believe it was!  How has it been?  I live in Chesterton, right next to Porter just off 20, so if it's calm enough, which it never is when you plan on it, I'll be trying Lake Michigan, but if not, I need good water to play in.  Any tourney trails down this way that are fun little outings?

thedude

yeah... things have been ok.. up and down... seems everytime i get a good sack, the next week i get a junk one.
hit stone/pine lake in portage... not a great big fish lake, but you should be able to go out and catch a ton of 13-14s... you can hone your deep & clear water skills there to on the weed edges.
try the deep weeds out in front of the tennis courts on the south shore on pine. also just to the west of the tip of the big penninsula is a bowl in thats about 8' deep thats good too. there are some pads up on the NW corner of the penninsula that hold the bigger fish usually.

to get in you have to launch on stone lake and go under a bridge to get to pine... make sure the water is up high enough to get through... or there is a marina you can launch in on pine.

then theres wawasee, maxinkuckee, james chain, tippy lake, manitou......

2 other sleeper spots south of ya are Area 3 at Lasalle FWA down by schneider. Its really a big nasty swamp, but i've seen a 9lber come out of there and have several 5+. Theres a good ramp, but its all stumps and pads and general nastiness..... decent fishing tho... just find the deeper water.
other spot is willow slough... they drained and refilled the lake a few years back and its is LOADED with 14-16'ers. You can put your big boat in, but its electric motor's only. 1400 acres of marshy lake... spinnerbaits in the brush and flipping the brush by the creek channel (very easy to find).

as for tournies... there's a weeknighter on wolf lake ... which isn't the greatest lake, but a tourney nonetheless... gets a fair amount of boats. i have a buddy that fishes it.

if you get bored head down to Morse or Geist Resevoirs down by indy... good big fish lakes and something a little different than you'll see around michigan.

when i was there i did FOM indiana north division. Decent trail and they usually had 40-50 boats and good payouts.

Palehorse Custom Rods

1javelin

Looked and looked for Stone Lake in Portage, but found it in Laporte instead.  Close though.  Think I am going to go tonight.  Need some fish after fishing Lake George yesterday.  What a sorry lake it seemed.  Got a few bites, but a speed limit of 10 and the deepest spot I found was about 8 ft.

thedude

yeah. laporte.. not portage. duh. my brain is still on vacation. :-[
Palehorse Custom Rods