Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

MDNR to release their Michigan bass season recommendation 9/24/2014

Started by djkimmel, September 16, 2014, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

djkimmel

Michigan Bass Season Recommendation to be Presented to NRC October 9

We've been informed the Michigan Department of Natural Resources will release their bass season recommendation publicly sometime on 9/24/2014. I will share it with you as soon as they do so.

The MDNR will be presenting their bass season recommendation to the 7 Natural Resources Commission (NRC) Commissioners and MDNR Director Keith Creagh sometime the afternoon of their next meeting in Cadillac, Michigan, Thursday, October 9.

There is a public appearance period at the end of the regular meeting that afternoon. Anyone is allowed to request to speak before the NRC. If you sign up on or before Friday, October 3rd you can be given up to 5 minutes to speak to the NRC. Signing up after that day or at the meeting gets you 3 minutes.

If you care about the outcome of this long and involved process I encourage you to consider speaking about the bass season options, Michigan bass season and any related things you care about or concern you.

The meeting will be located Thursday, October 9, 2014 at:
McGuire's Resort
7880 Mackinaw Trail
Cadillac, MI 49601
9am - ~5 - 5:30pm
(unconfirmed until agenda comes out)

Committee meetings generally start at 9am with the Fisheries and Wildlife committee starting at 1pm. That is a good part to attend though the morning committees also often have good information in them. I'm not sure yet if MDNR Fisheries Division will present their bass season recommendation during that part of the meeting or during the Director's Report which normally starts at 2:30pm. That would be the latest I would recommend any interested party shows up for.

Once the regular Committee of the Whole (Asst Attorney General, 7 Commissioners and DNR Director) have completed their agenda the public appearance portion begins. Pre-signed speakers go first. Later sign ups follow. This part of the meeting can start anywhere from 3:30pm until 5:30pm. You want to make sure you are there and ready before then.

They will release an agenda for the October 9 public meeting soon. I recommend you review the latest public appearance guidelines (PDF). Previous minutes generally take awhile to get posted but you can look at older minutes. All of the available information can be found at www.michigan.gov/nrc.

To sign up to speak at the meeting ask any questions you can contact the MDNR Assistant to the NRC Cheryl Nelson, 517-284-6237, NRC@michigan.gov

I will answer any questions I can. I will be speaking at the meeting on behalf of Michigan B.A.S.S. Nation. This is the real, final great chance to affect the outcome of our Michigan bass season. The NRC and Director Creagh will hear everyone, and then we most likely get a decision at the November meeting.

If you can't attend the meeting you can provide written comments anytime from now until October 9 to the NRC through Cheryl Nelson, or you can mail them to the Commissioners. Their addresses are on the website. If you do so, and I recommend you do, include MDNR Director Creagh since he will most likely sign any new fisheries order. Even if you speak, providing a written copy of your comments, even including more detail, is highly recommended.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Kal-Kevin

so when you say "their recommendation" is this what they have to do before they take it to the meeting in November? I never really understand how things are done some days with the DNR.

djkimmel

The MDNR is coming out with their department recommendation to present to the NRC and the MDNR Director at the October 9 NRC meeting. This gives the public a chance to also hear their thinking. The public then has another month to comment on the MDNR recommendation before the NRC/Director decide what they are doing at the November NRC meeting.

We plan on bringing in several bass experts to present a very strong case at the October 9 meeting. I encourage anyone else who cares and wants this done right to attend and comment on the bass season too. You can also submit written comments.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Kal-Kevin

Thanks Dan for the advice and answer I now feel I can write a letter on it with out doing damage.  I will not be able to make the meetings, do to family things, but where would you say is the best to write it to? How should I address it for the best results? I think I will wait till they come out with the recommendation and see what it say for sure before writing it.

djkimmel

Yes - wait for their recommendation on 9/24/2014. You can email a letter to NRC@michigan.gov or you can mail paper letters to the 7 Commissioners mailing addresses on this page: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-65134_65145-26986--,00.html

Please send a letter to MDNR Director Keith Creagh also. You can email to DNR-Director@michigan.gov or mail letter to:
Director Keith Creagh
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Executive Division
P.O. Box 30028
Lansing, MI 48909

I'll share an example letter once I have the MDNR bass season recommendation.

Kal-Kevin