Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:10:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Over temp alarm at idle speed.

Started by Mike S., July 23, 2014, 06:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I have a 2000 Vmax ox66 225 on my Skeeter. I keep getting the over temp alarm when I'm idling. It started early this year, and I found a leaking head gasket, 2 high I repaired. Then it happened again. I changed the impeller and housing. Still happening. So I changed both thermostats and cleaned the pressure relief valve in the bottom of the motor. I have chased down wires for bad connections, and wearing.

It has been smoking real bad at start up, idling rough, and running rough through the power band. I read that was a sign of a bad oxygen sensor. So, I changed that yesterday, and haven't gotten to run it yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Slipkey

Usually, that happens when a piece of grit gets lodged in one of the thermostats, but since you've replaced those recently...  Your telltale stream is flowing OK?  If it's slower than it should be at idle, you might have some calicification/build-up and can try descaling

For the rough running, if the sensor wasn't the issue, have you replaced your plugs, checked the integrity of wires from the distributor and double-checked the correct firing order?

Waterfoul

Mercury!!!  Once you go black...   ;D

Give Ted at TLC Marine repair in Marne a call.  Tell him you're a friend of mine.  He has never missed on any issue I've ever had or any issue my friends have had.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

I don't know about the over temp issue, but that oxygen sensor made a HUGE difference. The boat went into the 70's again. That makes me happy. The power rolled on smooth, and it felt like it did the year I bought it. I stopped in to Baker Marine this afternoon. Hes going to let me bring it to him one afternoon next week to run it in his tank and use his infrared thermometer to check temps while its running.

21XDC

Do you have the "New Style" Mushroom shaped poppet valve?  I suggest you change yours if you have the original. They are cheap and easy to change.
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Mike S.

Well, the oxygen sensor was short lived. When I launched the boat the night after my good ride, it ran just like it did before I changed the o2 sensor. It ran rough, smoked like crazy, and would only go 64 at best. The sensor I bought was from ebay, in original packaging, but at half price. I'm assuming I may have just gotten a bum sensor. I found on many forums where guys have run the NGK universal sensor, NTK 21006, and had great results. The 4 wires are the same color codes, but you have to splice the Yamaha plugs to it. No big deal there. This sensor costs $60 at a parts store. I put one in last night, and will hopefully get to run the boat today or tomorrow.

As for the mushroom style poppet valve, I didn't know there was one.

32eml24

I dont know much about your specific outboard but if this thread were about a car i would first ask if the rough running and over temp alarm started at the same time. If yes, it would be worth investigating the temp sensor. A bad temp sensor fits the bill for both symptoms but until you diagnose it properly you are just throwing parts at it and hoping...

Mike S.

Next step, mechanic. Once it has a clean bill of health, for sale. My wife gave me the go ahead on a new one as soon as I can sell mine.

YpsiBass

Congrats on the go ahead. Going to get another skeeter? Interested in a Stratos..?

Waterfoul

If you are going to get a "newer" boat I'd probably go with something that doesn't FLY at 65 mph!  LOL!!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

21XDC

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html