Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:42:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Coast Guard boarding today.

Started by Mike S., May 25, 2014, 12:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

Wow!  I think you're more bothered about it than I am. The only thing that made the situation uncomfortable was all of it. I sat and thought about the cpl class where I specifically asked the Police officer if I could have my gun on the boat. He said yes. It's no different than my car.....As long as I'm not crossing the borders. I wondered if I was going to get frisked. There were several thoughts running through my head at that time. Am I going to jail? If so, why?  I'm legal. Everything is legit.

I would have mu have rather faced him while I was being disarmed. It is a very uncomfortable feeling having a man, officer or not, disarm you with your back to them. I did nothing wrong. I honestly wasn't even speeding on the lake. It was chilly so we were just cruising to our next spot. I told them I was carrying long before they even got next to me. Then I even helped tie my boat to theirs before he decided to climb aboard. If I was going to go on a shooting spree, I surely wouldn't let them tie up to me first.

I totally understand the responsibility that I have taken on by deciding to have my cpl license. I understand a law officer being concerned for their own safety. I get it. But there should be a  concern for my feelings as well. Taking the gun out of play, totally understandable. The gun board saw to it that I am worthy of carrying that gun, so I'm obviously not a dangerous man. I obviously don't have a bad past. 

I don't want anyone on here to feel like I'm trying to play victim. I don't feel that way at all. I told the story so others will be prepared for what may happen if you are carrying on the water. I was upset about being treated in a criminal manner to be disarmed. I'm an honest, hard working, family man. I'm not a criminal. My gun on me is for mine and my family's protection if the need ever came up. It is also for the protection of everyone around me if ever needed. I don't believe there will ever come a time when I will need to use it, but I will carry it when I want to. Why?  Because I can. It is a right that we all have, and a right I will exercise.

Mcfish

Quote from: Mike S. on May 31, 2014, 11:10:25 AM
Wow!  I think you're more bothered about it than I am.

I'm not sure if you're responding to me Mike, but you bet I'm bothered by how you were treated. 

motocross269

Didn't want to get in a pis sing match with this...I pOster a statement by the Michigan Gun owners association lawyer and a video put out by the NRA authority on legal issues ....you guys take it for what it is worth I am going fishing tommorrow for the first time this year so life is good..

djkimmel

There's nothing wrong with sharing opinions. Even differing opinions. As long as we keep it on the topic we're accomplishing something good.

I'm glad that you shared your experience Mike S. I continue to feel it was handled poorly and am now aware that things are less controlled and organized in this area than I thought they were. If I had the time I would call for some official word from the Coast Guard.

I sure hope how you were treated is not standard operating procedure with them?!? If I was a carrier I would immediately work to get something like this changed/fixed. My safety and feelings are every bit as important as the safety and feelings of those Coast Guard officers. That's definitely my opinion. I've had just enough run ins with law officers who were not just going by the book, and enough smarts in my own areas of interest to know that continued training is very important to every line of work, but probably critically important when it deals with firearms. Just read the news every day and you can see that.

Maybe this topic and discussion could even bring about some improvement for the safety of everyone in these types of situations. I have no doubt if you had a video of your experience and put it on the Internet it would probably start a firestorm that would get ugly. I'm glad that won't happen on this website, but yes, please share your opinions pro or con. That's all I'm doing. Sharing my opinions.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I watched the video from moto. That's a very good and helpful video. It also demonstrates the big difference between what seemed like a real smart, fair handling of the situation verses the unprofessional, unnerving way it was handled with Mike S.

Communication, calm and openness on BOTH sides makes these situations a lot safer and less upsetting. Sneak approach with no warning - unsafe, dangerous and a great way to create citizens who don't trust or appreciate your tactics. Again, in my opinion.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Rangerman

No use to give any lip service to them, just yes sir no sir, thank you sir. I was checked on LSC two weeks ago the 360 check. When they pulled up and asked to board and check the no problem sir. I told them I had a CCP and there was a weapon on board.They checked that and DL out of state, Thank you for informing us. I was wearing the blow up and my parnter. Throwable in Starboard rod box on top. They just told me it should be out, Yes Sir No Problem. No rope attached but 50' cord next to it. One of the officers asked me why I needed a weapon to go fishing. Sir there are alot of bad people in the world beside I didn't want some crack head breaking in the car and stealing it. No problem what so ever other than the 360 check. When they left I thanked them and told em to go get some bad guys. They laughted and left. Yes Sir No Sir alway works. Alot of the young guys on power trip with the badge and gun but just doing there job. They will grow out of it with time. ;D Think they were caught a little flat footed due to flares on board all up to date. Plus hand held VHF set on 16 as required by federal law if VHF on board. I will have the throwable out if I see em coming next time with a rope clipped :D :D :D Use it for "Weather Watch" alerts :o

Mike S.

So, did they disarm you?  Did they take your gun?  Or did they just ask you why you have it with you?

Rangerman

No Sir, asked wear it was located, informed them in the back Starboard storeage box. The officer did write the ser # down on a pad to check I guess to see if stolen :D They did check my Carry Permit and DL and make notes. No sweat, all legal. The CCP from NC is honored by MI. and MI's honored buy. Don't know what the big deal is, thats the reason for the CCP. Most of the LEO in our area have no problem as long as they are informed from the jump start as the law requires. They know the carrier has been checked for record and not a convicted felon. Most times carry a LPC in pocket when on the road, and a Glock in the truck. Thats to get em off me till I can get to the truck and get the big gun ;D ;D ;D Come on down to NC your CCP is welcomed places the law allows. A boat is one of them, and guys you can power load your heart out we use hard concert and long ramps with rock beds under them. ;D Man I enjoy the fishing up in your neck of the woods. It's great. Hope to get back many more times.

djkimmel

There may be some 'cultural' differences based on location at times... ;D

Glad your experience was less stressful. I think most of the time that is how they go as you describe. Just not always. We probably tend to remember the times things are stressful more than the times they're not.

Glad you felt welcome enough that you still want to come back!! I hope some day we start building new ramps designed to work with modern boats better. I may work on that a little as time goes by. There's never a shortage of things to work on and improve.

I sometimes do hear that people may think things are never 'good' enough or that we don't acknowledge how good we have things. I recognize the good things. I don't think it's so bad to want to make them even better. :)

Rangerman

No problem here what so ever. That what the CCP is for and Mi does honor most states that honor theirs ;D as it should be. I just have a hard time find guys that are willing to travel 12 hours to fish LSC :o I tell em once they do it's a short drive going and the long drive is home. :D You guys got a great fishery in Mi and should protected it. Y'all just need to send you DNR people down south to learn to pure hard concert with wings with rock beds so you can power load :D That's a joke guys. No problem sticking to the law just a pain in the bass in the wind and cold water when power loading is so easy and quick. May fix most of the problems at the launch ramps on Saturdays and Sundays. Think next time may just get a lawn chair and set up on the grass and Clinton River Cut Off (Crocker) with a cooler and just enjoy and laugh at the fire drill in the "wells" :D Never seen anything like it.

djkimmel

I've seen the launch chair entertainment before at boat ramps. Some of what I've seen though isn't really entertaining. People could use a little more patience.

motocross269

After I drop my fishing partner for the day off at the dock I usually use that time to organize my boat and store my rods....Gives me something to do to take my mind off of the Chaos..

djkimmel

I'm usually going to get the trailer though in the years and times I stayed in the boat I like similar distractions verses watching humanity not always at its best... ;D

Mike S.

Ohhhhhh......don't get me started on boat launches. 

Rangerman

You just happen to run into a "Dick Head" green behind the ears with a heavy badge :D sad but all state have em. :'(

Rangerman

Easy Law change :D Unload em stay out and off the dock until your parnter get back and proceed to pick em up no more  than 30 seconds :D Power load em hook the winch strap after easing  5 seconds and proceed to the parking lot or tie down area :D Anybody on the ramp more than 1 minute will get a ticket;D Get rid of the green and red pole. Load Em Rack Em and Stack Em. You guys got to have a little time with us out of stater's. Never heard of such mess ;D ;D Now that I have learned or think I have learned I will try abid by the law.  ;) Y'all boy sure make loading a boat and unloading just a little tuff. And what the hell is a Well they called Boat Dock the other 49 State :D :D Is you boat in the well  :D Hell no the well is back in NC pumping water :D No it's a dock :D Just poking fun guys. Love LSC just diff ways ??? Hopefully the next time with USCG AND OR LOCAL LAW  will be the same. Always try to stick to LEO in the area.Y'all just got give us a little time to learn the MI ways. I'm trying ???