Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:30:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

ICE OUT??

Started by Coop, April 01, 2014, 11:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coop

Just for fun... Give me your best guess at when you think we will be rippin and roaring this year on inland lakes?
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

Jay-MadWags

Hard to say.  I saw tons of giant ice bergs floating down the Detroit River at Bishop Park on Sunday.  Yesterday there were no ice bergs.  Commerce Lake is still frozen over.  I would have to say the Thursday before Good Friday.  At least that is what I'm hoping for.  This winter has been soooooooooooo looooonnnggg.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

fiker

Satellite photos of St. Clair show lots of ice still in/on the lake.  Portage lake in Pinckney is melting.  I can tell by the color of the ice and several open water spots starting to show.  However, there's still a long way to go.

We should have open water by opening of CIR.  But, will  places like Kent Lake have enough time to raise their water level to come up to Summer pool before the opener?

I believe that I've heard in the past it comes up about an inch a day in normal years. 

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

dartag

April 12th. 

I have lived on Union lake for 29 years.  My wife keeps a chart on the last day ice is on the lake.   Latest has been April 9th.  There is still 20 inches of ice out there.

There should be some good satallite views today.   Think I will go outside and wave at when it goes over.

Coop

Lol.. What's a good site to check out sat views? Just curious.. Looks like the weather will hold at least in the 40's the next 10 days. I think we might have a cold night or two left, but overall I think were gonna thaw thaw thaw! I am itching to get out so bad this year. Little worried if it will be worth putting in on the inlands and running slow baits and blade baits for some bass, or do I just give it a couple extra weeks and be a lemming with all the Lund boys in the Sagnasty River pulling up them boring marble eyes. Lol... Let me know if anyone is planning on heading out on the opener for some C&R.  Approx: 3 weeks & 2 days.. Tick tock tick tock tick tock
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

Got Fish??

April 12th sounds about right,  once the inland lakes start to melt. It's going to melt fast . Water temp. Is going to be a big factor after ice is gone.

dartag

St Clair is clearing a little.  With wind and rain the next few day it should clear out. Inland lakes will be a while.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=e&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.14092.1900.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg

huston

Was out to Harley Ensign and drove from there down to Detroit. A guy launched  at H.E. although the docks are not in. there was plenty of open water. The DNR website gives great info on fishing reports and ice out. I drove along Jefferson to Detroit. A great view of the mile roads with a few icebergs floating here and there.

TheFishinPollock

It better be exactly 2 weeks from today!!!!!!!!!!! I reallllyyy wanna go break in the new motor!
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

djkimmel

Quote from: TheFishinPollock on April 02, 2014, 09:10:03 PM
It better be exactly 2 weeks from today!!!!!!!!!!! I reallllyyy wanna go break in the new motor!

Aren't you a little more 'ice-challenged' than we are??

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Today's view from space should tell a lot.   Still lots of ice on my lake.  Maybe I will go out and wave at the satellite when it goes over.

djkimmel

I think I saw you?!? ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

ice on St clair will be all gone with the next east wind. Seeing some open water on inland lakes this afternoon.   I did wave but I think  cloud was in the way.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=e&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.14095.1759.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg

TheFishinPollock

before anyone else say's it Dan.   Ice is not my only challenge............... :)
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

djkimmel

Yes. But that's a different forum(s)...

dartag

Won't be long now.   My lake is that ugly black color but still a lot of ice out there.  Smaller lakes are opening up fast.  St clair ice is almost gone.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=e&page=1&template=sub&image=t1.14098.1646.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg

fiker

I just looked at the Belle Isle river cam. 

Yesterday there was a lot of ice coming down river.  Today I couldn't see any.

Cool.

TheFishinPollock

I ice fished yesterday if that gives ya a hint what it is like up here.
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Jay-MadWags

I had a friend catch a limit of walleye from the Detroit River this past weekend.
From a BOAT not through the ICE.  LOL
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

fiker

checked out the river cam again this morning.  Lots of ice coming down the river.