Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 05:23:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fishing License

Started by huston, March 09, 2014, 11:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I had said percentage-wise it wasn't as big a difference than some of the other increases but I can understand the issue having shelled out over $100 each year to fish Walpole and Ontario on Lake St. Clair back in the day of a bigger budget. Now that I don't fish tournaments I just buy the Ontario conservation license or even a daily or multi-day license, and skip the Walpole for the few times I get to Lake St. Clair lately to fish.

I told nonresidents to voice their opinions before it was too late to our legislators. Apparently very few took the time to do that so no changes where made. The first time I brought it up to MDNR leadership they seemed unaware that there was any significant complaints. They did say they would look at their nonresident marketing.

I will watch the numbers but so far no one is mentioning a drastic change though it's early yet to get a good idea if there's a significant decrease or not.

I'll be at the Capitol Wednesday for a lobby day to get the ball rolling on the Scientific Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act. MUCC and CPWM announced that we have over 350,000 petition signatures to turn in tomorrow (Tuesday May 27, 2014)!!! WHICH IS AWESOME!!! We need about 260,000 valid signatures to meet minimum citizen's initiative requirements.

Take that radical animal rights groups!! And we've done it with volunteer hunters and anglers!!!! We still need to raise some more money to pay for the petition drive http://www.citizenswildlife.com/donate/, and now we need to make sure we get the Legislator follow through on creating and passing the citizen's initiative act WITH the appropriation so we kill the November anti-hunting votes. Hence the all-day Conservation Coalition lobby day at the Capitol and follow up meetings. I haven't looked at I disagreeignments list yet but I told them to schedule me with whomever they need to.

Thank you to all of you who signed petitions and helped get signatures! We did this together as outdoors persons!! Big pat on the back for everyone who helped!!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

We need to get the Scientific Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act passed as is by the House and Senate in Michigan to keep the authority to name game (and fish) species, and create Fisheries Orders (think new bass season in 2015) with the Natural Resources Commission.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Rangerman

Yep had to jump up the the $76.00 non-rest license and did not think twice about it. Sure I thinks it's high compared to the other state. I have 7 state license 6 non-res. Some of the states charge a sliding scale. They charge non-rest the same fee you home state charges out of state seems very fair. But oh well death and taxes are coming to all of us an a fishing license and DNR ramp permits are just another tax. Nothing I can do about it but vote em out of office. :D Yep a little high mayby the DNR will import some good old boy to teach em how to pour boat ramps you can power load on

Skulley

I would rather see the State of Michigan raise the non-resident fee for licenses rather than to tax my pension.  Just sayin'.

BD                                 ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

motocross269

Quote from: UAWBigDog on June 08, 2014, 02:14:03 PM
I would rather see the State of Michigan raise the non-resident fee for licenses rather than to tax my pension.  Just sayin'.

Or raise the gas price tax another 25 cents to offset the cost of big trucks destroying our roads.....Don't even get me started.. >:(

Dan

Big Dog, I am with you there. They gave us smaller percentage increases back in the day than others were getting with the excuse that we wouldn't pay taxes on our retirement pensions. Didn't turn out to be true. Subsidize the wealthy on the backs of the working poor.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Got Fish??

Oh ya why not keep resident and nonresident fees low, tax our gas and pensions. Lots of  road and sales tax. When our lakes and parks and our ramps are run down and nasty, and fishing Michigan waters realy suck? You out of state guys won't come anymore and go some where else. If you want something good. You have to pay for it.

Rangerman

Guys Non Restident bring much need $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to the area in motels, eats, tackle and cold beer ;D Don't kick a gift horse in the mough ;D Y'all welcome to come on down to NC when you water gets hard ;D and we thank you ;D Welcome on and all, just bring money ;D Join Us for Lake Norman Rally Oct 25, 2014 here. Lower license fee's and you and power load your bass off ;D Alway easy to say let the other guy pay it, me too. Out of stater's infuse cash in the the local business which the whole country can use ;) Wow! Think about it. Bring more fishermen in and spend more money in the area and create more jobs. Something the government has missed. :D :D sad but very true.

Skulley

Quote from: motocross269 on June 08, 2014, 04:36:07 PM
Quote from: UAWBigDog on June 08, 2014, 02:14:03 PM

Or raise the gas price tax another 25 cents to offset the cost of big trucks destroying our roads.....Don't even get me started.. >:(

Toll roads here in Michigan could take care of the road issue. So many other states have till roads and most are in excellent shape because of it.

Quote from: Dan on June 09, 2014, 07:22:17 AM
Big Dog, I am with you there. They gave us smaller percentage increases back in the day than others were getting with the excuse that we wouldn't pay taxes on our retirement pensions. Didn't turn out to be true. Subsidize the wealthy on the backs of the working poor.

Taxing our pensions is not the answer. There are lots of other ways to generate revenue without making seniors and other retirees pay more. And then taking money away from our schools and who suffers for that?? Our kids do if course.

Don't get me started!!!! I'm anti-Snyder. That guy needs to go. Michigan is 6th from the bottom in job growth. More people have left Michigan since he's been governor.

BD.                              ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Got Fish??

I'm not telling out of state anglers not to come visit. I'm asking them to please  share the cost of a great lake fishery. Money collected for the fishery's gos to the fishery's. Money collected for roads, public serves and  up keep of the state. Is ear marked for that purpose. It's when the government dose not state where the money is to be spent, that's the shell game. Read  all of the ballot the next time you vote. Don't just make your choice because of the first three lines.

Rangerman

NOt one word about fee's. But it is high to the rest of the states. ??? You boys got to understand I had not clue what the Hell a Well Was :D :D We call em boat dock's or slips or dockage. :D The Red and Green on the loading and unloading is new to the world as far as I know :D but learned and will abide >:( Just poking fun in the Southern Way. Love your lakes and pay the price.  ??? I try of abid the law if not I don't come up way up there. Best protect your lake and please build some boat ramps you can power load on :D :D  Just picking guys . Hope to see some of you guys in about a week so  :) Tax Free Beer available Belive me we pay the fare for out of stater's :o and then some. The problem is the Taker's out number the Makers :D Charge the other guy but give me my free cell phone, and check :D soap Box broke ???

cameraguy

Aren't pensions income? Why shouldn't they be taxed if everyone else has to pay income tax?

Dan

Don't even get us started on this one. You don't want to go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cameraguy

Quote from: Dan on June 12, 2014, 09:53:11 AM
Don't even get us started on this one. You don't want to go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not? You and UAW mentioned it. Should you just get to post unchallenged verbiage here? Pensions are income. Why shouldnt you have to pay the income tax which is 4.25%? I won't get a pension and will probably have to work until I'm dead. I have to pay income tax on my work no matter what age. I also have to pay income tax on any IRA withdrawals. It seems reasonable to me that income received as a pension should be taxed like any other income. If you, were told, in the process of negotiations that your pensions wouldn't ever be taxed then that's between your employer and those negotiating on your behalf. After all, government changes the rules all the time. Just look at the fishing regs that Dan Kimmel has worked so hard to change. Besides, there are limitations and rules on taxng pensions depending on the age of the recipient and amount of pension.
It must be nice to belong to a large group that can deliver the votes to carve out a special exemption from the rules most of us have to live with. Now if you want to propose that every one gets the same treatment from government like no one has to pay an income tax (other states have no income tax) I'm all for it.

Got Fish??

Most pensions are earned over a long period of time. Most have to give up a higher rate of income  as part of the deal. Taxes were paid when the money was earned and the funds are invested by  the company or union just like a 401 or a  stock fund. Do you pay taxes on all of you  investments? For 35 years when all I could afford was some stale old crackers. Nobody cared, now  your jellos of my stale old crackers. Pensions are fixed and usually do not on incease over the years,

LAPORTE

Quote from: cameraguy on June 12, 2014, 10:09:59 PM
Quote from: Dan on June 12, 2014, 09:53:11 AM

Why not? You and UAW mentioned it. Should you just get to post unchallenged verbiage here? Pensions are income. Why shouldnt you have to pay the income tax which is 4.25%? I won't get a pension and will probably have to work until I'm dead. I have to pay income tax on my work no matter what age. I also have to pay income tax on any IRA withdrawals. It seems reasonable to me that income received as a pension should be taxed like any other income. If you, were told, in the process of negotiations that your pensions wouldn't ever be taxed then that's between your employer and those negotiating on your behalf. After all, government changes the rules all the time. Just look at the fishing regs that Dan Kimmel has worked so hard to change. Besides, there are limitations and rules on taxng pensions depending on the age of the recipient and amount of pension.
It must be nice to belong to a large group that can deliver the votes to carve out a special exemption from the rules most of us have to live with. Now if you want to propose that every one gets the same treatment from government like no one has to pay an income tax (other states have no income tax) I'm all for it.

No good ending for this one....  :-X
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

bob o

Florida has no state income tax, but we moved back here  ::)

djkimmel

Boy... I take my eyes off the old FISHING LICENSE thread for a couple days and it turns into a government/political/tax fight...?!? I should make a new forum and invite my meeting stalker to join in. You guys could have big fun!!  :P

Funny thing, I was trying to explain to my meeting stalker that the goals of the positions I support and work for are always to make it easier for people to get out fishing and want to go fishing in Michigan, while he seems to only care that people are punished for breaking laws even if it isn't clear they're breaking any actual 'laws'...

Since I like to keep things reasonably nice on here I won't say what I think of my stalker's way of thinking...  ::)

I am sorry I wasn't able to do anything about the non-resident license fee. I wish more non-residents had called or wrote in before the change went through. I will keep watching how it affects sales. We had a presentation on early sales changes in some licenses yesterday during the NRC meeting and we will get more information later. If necessary I will suggest changes. I would need to have support from other groups to have any chance of getting somewhere of course.

I'm very glad some of you will keep coming here. Let's finish getting the year-round bass season first to get more opportunity. Then we can see what else we can fix to get and keep more people fishing.

Firefighter Jeff

Like I've mentioned before, there's no amount I won't pay to fish in Michigan.  We have a trailer on Hamlin Lake, and I love fishing for Michigan smallies. 

I think it's the amount that have people rethinking fishing Michigan.  I know, it hasn't gone up in price for 16 some years.  Well, most people don't know or realize that. I don't think combining the regular license AND the trout stamp helps matters.  A person that only bought the restricted license in the past can't understand the jump to $76. 

I realize it's not much compared to the other costs of fishing and I agree.  I'm just telling you what I've heard from my Uncle that has a cottage on Hamlin. He's not sure if he'll buy a license.  He doesn't fish a lot but has always had a license.   I've heard similar from others not sure if they want to fish in Michigan.

Like I said, I have paid it.  Even bought one for my daughter who is spending the summer at the lake and has really become interested in fishing.  :)    I'm not saying the change is right or wrong, just stating what I've heard from some fellow Hoosiers.