Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:37:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Any change to the VHS Issue?

Started by Revtro, March 27, 2007, 05:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Anyone know if there have been any changes to the VHS laws regarding transporting live bass from the Canadian side of LSC and Erie to the US side?  A lot of people were thinking we'd have a resolution to this prior to ice-out.  Any news?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

LGMOUTH

From what I heard yesterday they are still working on it but nothing has been resolved yet.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

SODY

Did you guys witness this in any of the Muskies last season, I guess the spring was just Sad!!

matt

One question,after fishing with a jig and craw today any special precautions i need to take with our lures?Such as just letting them dry before usage again on another lake?I can still resuse trailer craws over on another lake right?

Witnessing dead fish all over the place in belleville lake now has me worrying. :-\'

5alive

Federal order rescinds virus issue for tournaments
BASS action good news for anglers
By Bassmaster.com staff report - May 4, 2007

Federal officials have amended an order that prohibited the interstate and international transfer of live fish from states and provinces known to be infected with the deadly Viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS).

The area most affected by the amendment encompasses states and provinces surrounding the Great Lakes.

BASS took a leadership role in lobbying for the interests of recreational anglers, including those who compete in bass tournaments throughout the region.

The amendment was announced today by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS).

"The fact that APHIS took the extra steps to amend the current order, rather than go through the lengthy regulation development process, demonstrates their commitment to protecting our wild fish stocks, while also meeting the needs of the angling public. The folks at APHIS were truly a pleasure to work with," said Chris Horton, BASS Conservation director.

Horton said that BASS will play a key role in educating the public and anglers about the virus and ways to prevent its spread. At all BASS events in the Great Lakes region, Horton said that tournament officials will thoroughly brief anglers on the virus, as well as what they can do to help stop the spread. Horton added that BASS is also working to help secure additional funding for APHIS to continue their VHS research efforts and public outreach and education programs.

Viral hemorrhagic septicemia, also known as the VHS virus, is spreading at an alarming rate in the Great Lakes region of the United States and Canada. This often deadly virus can cause extensive hemorrhaging in several different species of fish, including bass. Large fish kills have already occurred, and more are likely to happen in the near future.

In an effort to stop the spread of the disease, and to protect the nation's aquaculture industry, the APHIS issued an emergency Federal order in November 2006 that prohibited the interstate and international transfer of live fish from states and provinces known to have the virus, basically the states and provinces surrounding the Great Lakes. Needless to say, tournaments on many northern waters had a new obstacle.

During a February trip to Washington, D.C., Horton was able to make contact with APHIS through the help of Aaron Hobbs of the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation.

"It just didn't make sense biologically," said Horton. "If a fish could swim across the boundary, then the virus was going to be on both sides as well. Stopping anglers from carrying live fish across the imaginary line wasn't going to solve the virus issue. Fortunately for us as anglers, the staff at APHIS agreed and wanted to work with us to resolve the issue."

Not long after the initial conversations with APHIS, Horton followed up with a letter to Secretary of Agriculture, Mike Johanns asking that the department make development of the new regulations concerning VHS a top priority.

"We were concerned that the new regulations that we were working on with APHIS, which would reduce impacts on tournaments, wouldn't be in place prior to the 2007 tournament season," said Horton. "The VHS regulations weren't a priority within the Agriculture department's administration and we wanted to change that. Apparently, our letter did some good."

Jeff Harris

www.quantumfishing.com
www.strikeking.com

SethV

Vic Cerabone

NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details07.php?division_id=88

C-Sports Optical Pro Staff - Rx Sunglasses

djkimmel

Quote from: matt on April 29, 2007, 11:14:24 AM
One question,after fishing with a jig and craw today any special precautions i need to take with our lures?Such as just letting them dry before usage again on another lake?I can still resuse trailer craws over on another lake right?

Witnessing dead fish all over the place in belleville lake now has me worrying. :-\'

Matt, if you are keeping pork lures in their preservative, I would think that would kill the virus, but I can ask the MDNR VHS contact next chance I get for an opinion.

Anything you can let completely dry out for more than a couple days should work along with the bleech water for anything applicable there. Just don't transfer live fish, or any volume of water, especially during the early season. Glad to see you are concerned.

As far as Belleville, it isn't that abnormal to have winter/spring fish kills to some degree. It is stressful for the fish at times. I would think that most of the fish you are seeing have been dead a while under the ice and floated up. If they look really fresh and/or if there are literally a lot more than a dozen of dead fish of one species or a larger number of multiple species, you should report to the MDNR just in case. I have an email address under links on the VHS page here you can use. Be detailed if you do report.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

matt