Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:55:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What's your take on Gulp?

Started by Revtro, March 21, 2007, 04:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

I'm not usually one to buy something because some pro angler said so, however when at a fishing show this year, I saw a Gulp presentation in a tank with live bass.  The guy threw all kinds of bait into the water and the fish barely reacted.  Then he threw Gulp in and a few (not all) of the fish went after it.  Joe Balog is a real believer in this bait and used it to win an Erie tourney.  And the latest news is that Berkley is going to soon offer a Gulp Goby.  What's your take on Gulp?  Has it significantly helped you on tough days when you switched to it? 

Personally, I'm gonna give it a try, but in the past it's been annoying to work with.  This year, I'm gonna make the effort to experiment with it.  Worth it or not?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dhuff

It is good stuff but don't let it sit open int he bag or your bait you are using on the deck for to long or it will dry up hard.

tritonman

I've seen the Berkley Gulp Goby at a fishing show in Wisconsin, it's not on the market yet, but soon coming.
I use the 4" sinking minnow, and I have caught more fish with them than a senko of same size.

fowlmouth

I'm a firm believer in there claim that it outfishes live bait. I tried it this winter for the first time when we were backcountry fishing. We were fishing sea(gator)trout and snook in brackish water, we lost all our live shrimp when the baitwell filled with fresh water. The next morning we asked about it at the baitshop and the gal told us to try Gulp! shrimp.

My dad, still a live bait fanatic kept a minnow bucket full of shrimp and
I tried the Gulp and I absolutely smoked him. After a half day of gettin' his but kicked he was asking for the gulp. We fished live vs gulp all morning on the same jigs and with the same presentation and it was night and day difference.

The material itself will never have the action of soft plastic, though.

joshimoto son

I cut a check with it in the Detriot River Stren Series last year and caught a 5-13 (smallie) with it in practice.

I would pick and choose what gulp products you buy...

Meaning... I'm not going to go out and spend the money on their reaction baits, such as their frogs, but would consider having anything that the scent trail is going to benefit you.

I have not had the best luck on the inland lakes like I thought I was going to have.

Hope this helps Tom.

joshimoto son ;D

fiker

I have seen the sinking minnow work well on inland lakes. 
I've heard of the grub working well on Clair. 

Chartreuse, and green depending on the lighting conditions and the water clarity.

What someone said earlier about not letting it dry out is a great tip.  It is like leather when it does, and is almost impossible to get off of your hook.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

yukonjack2

ditto on the dry out thing - it becomes petrified and rock hard.  In addition, do not put a used bait back in the pouch with the new ones - they are a one shot use deal, and it will contaminate the whole bag of them.  I plan on trying it out D/S on LCS as well this year.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

1javelin

Saw a presentation by a pro sponsored by Gulp, not going to mention his name, but rhymes with Gravy Fite, saying he doesn't think it makes a significant difference in freshwater, but in saltwater, guys will throw it before live bait.  Just his info though. :o
Live to fish, Fish to live.

thedude

i picked up some of the sinking minnows to try... i think they will work ok.

i was not impressed with the curlytails on their worms however... they don't have much action at all... Plus i bought a pack (turtle back worms maybe?) and has them in my bag. One of my trays was sitting on them and baisically put a kink in the tails of most of the worms...the material has some memory and i tossed the pack because the tails wouldn't spin at all any more!  >:(
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods