Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:11:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Kicking around the idea of a Michigan bass season conference call

Started by djkimmel, December 22, 2013, 02:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Since there are more of you on GreatLakesBass.com, and an even broader base than the two bass federations, and you've all played BIG parts in moving the MORE FISHING OPPORTUNITY ball forward, I'm thinking about informing as many of you as possible through another medium by having a conference call.

It would just be for existing GreatLakesBass.com members. No mystery listeners. If someone did read about it and join GreatLakesBass.com to participate in the conference call I would have them contact me directly to get participation information so I'm sure they're an interested party who cares about bass fishing, and not just some type of disrupter or completely outside party (there's too much going on in Michigan right now to not expect almost anything). A conference call is more cost and time-effective, and easier to setup than a meeting somewhere.

I was thinking it would be much easier to explain where we're at right now verbally, along with getting some input, comments and opinions from some of you. The purpose wouldn't be to not have the information on the forum where everyone can read, but another option for communicating a complex issue in a format that might help us improve communication and understanding.

If we do it, I'd have to pick an evening date and time, and whoever can make it (if at least a decent minimum) can make it. I don't want to have a pick a date poll, and then a pick a time poll, etc. If worse came to worse, maybe we could try a couple calls. It would be limited duration with a set agenda, and though I'm inviting input, there's only so much time and I'd want as many people as possible to comment about what I share with you, so it would NOT BE an opportunity to go down a completely different road or roads too far (Luke) for it to be worth all of our time. No beating a dead horse. If you want something else altogether right now go work towards it, but not on this call. The forum is available for that.

I have a proposal I need to support but there are many factors down this road including the possible alternatives that may popup, and what to do about it, or even what we can do about it and why. Though this discussion would not be about changing the present proposal it can contain discussion about what may come including alternatives and compromises we might be asked to make, or need to make. There's plenty to talk about without this being another 'here's why I think you're doing it wrong' discussion.

If you're interested in a conference call, please state it on this thread. Even if you don't agree with or like the present proposal that shouldn't keep you from participating. You should participate during this process because we will all live with whatever comes out the other end - hopefully in 2015.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mikesmiph

Waterfoul

Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

I would be more than happy to participate....As long as I'm available when you set it up. If you manage to get a time in the afternoon hours, I'm golden. If I can't participate, I'm sure many of my fellow members will have plenty of support for this cause.

t-bone

Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

djkimmel

Ok. Good start. Keep commenting. Probably won't have one until shortly after the New Year, Will give time to talk to our other partners to be more prepared. I'm without power and a big tree is laying on my wires while my my meter and house pipe are laying on the ground at end of all that.

Won't be doing too much typing today. Tomorrow? Don't know yet...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

32eml24

I would also participate as well as help in any other way I am able.  I know quite a few other friends of the same mindset as well.

Kal-Kevin

djkimmel

Okay - thanks! Looks like we should do this. I'd love a good-sized group but would be happy with 8-10 and up.

Keep adding your comments if you're interested so I have an idea of what to expect. I will be sharing the participation information to the people who respond, and any who contact me directly. I may also share the participation information on a members-only post. Depends upon what conference call service seems to be the best choice.

eetz

Firefighter Jeff

Frank

djkimmel

Quote from: Firefighter Jeff on December 25, 2013, 10:32:34 AM
   I'd be interested. 

BTW, I've been talking to some key people about the nonresident fishing license situation. Not sure what we can do yet but I proposed one idea. It might not go anywhere and it wouldn't help anyone who fishes a lot like you. Some people think it's so hard to make changes we can't make any more. But that's not really true. It might be hard but it just takes enough people who want something enough and are willing to work at it to make something happen.

For now, it's another issue with no obvious solution at the moment. Not forgotten. Hopefully, they'll be at least monitoring it based on comments at meetings.

Okay, back to the Michigan bass season. Once I get power and Internet back at the house I can look at scheduling this. If I go much longer without both, it will probably have to be after the Ultimate Fishing Show. That might work anyway since I'm speaking at another group meeting January 14th, and that meeting might add to the conversation.

Firefighter Jeff

I wasn't sure if it would be helpful for me to be in on this or not.  No amount will keep me from fishing Michigan.  I was just sore at the amount of the jump at one time.  I'd rather have paid an extra 5 to 10 dollars every few years than the one big jump.  I have heard some of my friends that don't quite fish as much in Michigan and I don't think they will buy a license at $75.  They could change their minds when the time comes I guess.

djkimmel

It is very helpful to have ANYONE interested in Michigan bass fishing involved, resident or not! You're part of the 589,000 persons who bass fished in Michigan in 2011 (latest USFWS census).

It has been odd talking about the nonresident fishing license issue with people. Right now we are basically at the point where they will probably wait and see how and if the numbers change. If the numbers change a lot, there is an avenue I might pursue to add another license option.

I don't think we can be successful at all if there isn't some fairly obvious indication that the high increase has caused a significant change. It was odd discussing the perceptions from angler feedback about the amount of the increase with the various parties.

Part of what I try to do as often as feasible is to remind people involved in these types of processes that not everyone thinks or feels just like they do. There are other people who do the same but many of the meetings I go to involves reps from major outdoor groups. We all have our groups' positions to support so it doesn't always leave lots of time to discuss these types of issues.

I'm not saying I do a great job, but I DO bring them up as often as possible, and the nonresident license was discussed at several meetings including at least 3 with the people that are involved in final or near final decisions on these types of things.

djkimmel

I still don't have power at home (9th day) though I've heard a rumor there is a crew on my street today... haven't seen them! Once I'm caught back up and can setup this bass season conference call, if it goes well, maybe we can use all of you on GreatLakesBass.com and your diversities on processes like this to create another source of feedback and representatives for change to improve fishing and hunting opportunities. There's a bunch of us and we should be able to use those numbers to press for change.

Mojo

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

Shooting for later in the week after the Ultimate Fishing Show. We're back in civilization mostly. The last hanging wire was rehung this morning. Of course, we are in a snow emergency today and prohibited from traveling on the roads except for essential travel...? What the Mayor said.

Good thing I have Internet from home again AND we have 2 whole days before I pack things into the GreatLakesBass.com booth 2411 (~) at the Novi Suburban Collection Showplace. We should have a path through the snow from Lansing to Novi by then.

Mojo

I have you guys access to provide a call in number once a month.... I dial in the host code and you guys dial in the passcode. Offering up to you guys for free...... I think a 7 -8 or 8-9 pm time frame? Picking a day is toughest, and not everyone will agree.... Lets find out Dan's schedule ?

Lets prepare it ?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan