Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:42:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Tip-of-the-Mitten Clubs??

Started by UpNorthWolf, March 04, 2007, 01:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpNorthWolf

Hello all. I'm frustrated that with all that water in the area there is a lack of more organized fishing info/events in the area. And I guess I'm asking why (if you may have more info).

Our stats:

Fairly novice fishing family (husband, wife, son going on ten) with acreage/house in northern Cheboygan County (for two years and we love it!) and we just bought a 20' Tahoe pontoon fishing boat. Planning on fishing the Inland Waterway up there as well as Douglas, Paradise, etc. Are there any tips you can share to help maximize the family's fun? Besides bass, crappie, etc. we are also going to try some trolling to get pike, walleye, and the odd muskie (we hope). Your typical fun and luck time-sharing as a family.

Unfortunately, after searches on a wide variety of Internet sites, I am finding very little info on all of that big water up there. I am especially disappointed that there aren't more organized events that we could try (as a family, father-son, etc.). Not looking for high stakes events, just fun leagues or paper tourneys, etc.
I do know about the June Paradise Lake bass event, NBAA events, and the later salmon tourney in Cheboygan. I am trying to nudge the new Mackinaw Outfitters (Bass Pro affiliated) store in Mackinaw City to sponsor/organize some events and have also contacted area government, businesses, media, and chambers of commerce. Our future fun and retirement will be up there, so it's a shame there isn't a more organized fishing fraternity in the tip of the mitten. Are there area clubs? CATT has a division on paper, but no one organizing it (and I have no expertise). Grasping at straws here.

Sincerely,

Rick and family

djkimmel

Rick - got your email. Things are developing up there. There are more clubs coming up there to fish.

BFL (http://bfl.flwoutdoors.com/)will start their 2007 Michigan season on Mullett Lake in June.

There are clubs in the Traverse City (Cherry Capital Bass) and Alpena area (Alpena Bass Club) that I know of. I'm working on trying to get an independent club in the Traverse City area to join The Bass Federation of Michigan. I'll update the club page on that site if and when we get them.

There's a number of us here that fish up at the tip of the mitt every year including myself. Some of the best bass fishing anywhere. Been fishing up there off and on for almost 20 years. I LOVE it too!!

You can ask your questions here and get some answers.

You might want to look into the Mancelona bass festival for some other local events that might interest you. Sometime in June I believe.

Cherry Capital has had an open every year in the past on Lake Leelenau I believe. Alpena Bass Club has an open every year on Memorial weekend on Long Lake.

Welcome to GreatLakesBass.com

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

UpNorthWolf

Thank you, Mr. Kimmel!

We need to walk on the competition front before we run, though.  ;D

I can't wait to get this boat in the water!

Rick

BigSmallie

Dan.....I don't believe this gentlmen will be able to use his pontoon in any of the mentioned Bass events.   However, the  clubs you mentioned could point him in the right direction for catching pike, walleye & such on certain lakes up there.   I know some of the Alpena boys could help him out.

Try contacting someone from the Alpena Bass  Club.  I believe the only way to access their web site is through the Michigan Bass Federation web page link.  It will be listed on the very far left of the home page under "Clubs"....I believe!!  LOL!

Good Luck!

BS  ;)
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

Dan

Why not a fishing pontoon. I have fished several tournaments years ago in one. Had an aerated livewell, electric trolling motor, etc.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

BigSmallie

I believe their tournament rules specifically exclude pontoon boats......along with 8' rods, etc...etc...etc...
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

bshaner

Most of the major circuits explicitly prohibit pontoon boats.  I dont know about local clubs though.  I'm not arguing for or against but I will say alot of clubs may frown on it.  Again - I'm neutral  ;) .

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

UpNorthWolf

Interesting, are they afraid of pontoon boats?   ;)

Seriously, we're a family looking for some organized fun, not a ball-to-the-wall race across the lake in-your-face competitive attitude adventure. I was hoping for some other opportunities than a hard core circuit, but the more I read (on a few sites) even many local clubs seem too political/petty (holes, draws, points, GPS waypoints, decisions, rulings, costs, payouts, etc.). Maybe it will just be among the family and keep it good natured and fun.

I used to play competitive paintball (sponsored, team captain, writing for magazines, etc.). Much like I read with competitive fishing, the ugly attitudes (no honor), lack of sportsmanship (cheating is terrible in paintball), and traveling eventually drove me out. It plain wasn't fun any more. I left something I used to love for something else...and won't make the same mistake. We'll still look for like minded fishing people in our area, but we won't be doing any traveling circuits. To each their own, but I don't think we'd enjoy it.

Thanks and keep it fun (or don't do it).

Rick

PS - None of this was meant toward anyone or anything (again, I have been reading a lot of fishing forums lately). I am still looking for help and am simply clarifying. Thanks again to all.

djkimmel

Well, people just post more about the issues than the fun sometimes. Trying to change that on this forum. More about the fun - at least equalize the 'reporting.'

There are great clubs, great circuits and great anglers out there aplenty. Way more than the other. Keep on the forum and you'll find out what I mean. Plenty of them here already and more coming every week.

I want to mention opportunities I recall and you can pick which ones you like. Part of the reason there are so many different circuits and clubs is because there are so many different people with different needs and expectations.

As far as rules, many groups have rules based on longstanding rules they've copied and modified from BASS and a few other sources way back in the 'beginnings of time.' Some rules are just there like some laws are just there. Most larger circuits don't allow 'cumbersome craft.' You could still fish them as a nonboater though, so I mention the opportunity to give you choices.

Many smaller groups and activities just require a certain length limit and the ability to keep a number of bass alive and healthy. Just be aware that some smaller circuits have based their rules on the bigger circuit rules so they may have the language in there about cumbersome craft. It's just easier to start with someone else's longstanding rules than write your own from scratch so it isn't personal or a slam against pontoons.

Just check the rules before you sign up to be sure and don't expect many circuits to change rules until the off season. That is not normally how they do it. They normally only change rules during the off season.

There are many ways to have a little competition while fishing. As many ways as their are people to think of them. I love competitive fishing, but sometimes, the only competition I want is myself in a boat trying to learn one more new thing, or gain one more piece of insight. I may not even catch much on those days, but if I learn something, or a new 'door' opens on some new insight, I'll still feel like a winner!!! And have fun doing it!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Dan

Spinnibugs Ludington tournament group may be what you are looking for, but it is, as I said in the Ludington area. They have weekend camping tournaments built around a family outing. I bet a pontoon would be okay with them. Check them out in the "Other Tournaments" section. I think that's where they are at.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

spinninbug

Heck yeah we would welcome anyone no matter what kind of boat they have.  We are looking for families and fun!! :)  However that is quite a way to travel.  The closest lake to you that we will be fishing is Crystal lake in Beulah.  But if you want to you can come to that tourney and camp with us for the weekend,  not expensive either.  If you would like more info let me know,  but like I said it's a way from you.  If you were closer to us we could show you some great pike water too.

Good luck.... :)
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

UpNorthWolf

This sounds fantastic, but as I told Dan I think we're renting a slip for our first season on the water just north of Mullett Lake. Where the BFL events are starting from, actually. We'll still pull it out to try other places (and fill the gas tank without getting raped), but we're on a learning curve this season. I may have to wait and publicize locally when we get closer to the summer tourists.

Appreciate everything,

Rick