Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:43:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Chicagon Lake

Started by Blue Devil, September 08, 2013, 11:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Devil

A buddy of mine had suggested heading to the Iron River area and fish Chicagon Lake this fall for smallmouth.  The past 2 yrs I have fished Burt/Mullet/Walloon and ran into horrible weather and so-so fishing. 

Any board members have any suggestions on Chicagon Lake

Thanks

bigmojet

I thought this lake was better known for muskies.

Let us know how u do on smallies.

djkimmel

The lakes you mentioned can be tougher during real bad weather.

But any Northern Michigan smallmouth lake can be tougher in the fall during bad weather trends. I would imagine the UP might be farther yet on that curve but it should make a difference on what type of lake it is.

I've never been to Chicagon Lake but the MDNR does list it under Iron County, Smallmouth Bass Better Fishing Waters.

I always like a new lake challenge but you have to be prepared that it could go either way and make the best of it. Unless you're already in the UP or over in Wisconsin, that's a loooonnnggg drive so I hope it goes well for you. I rarely hear fishing reports about that area so it would be interesting to get one.

Looks like it could go either way with lots of deep, deep water but enough flats and shelfs to be a potential candidate for fun fall bass fishing.

Michigamme Reservoir is an older reservoir that I have known a few people to fish and do well in the past for bass, pike and maybe muskie too? Several other lakes on the MDNR list in that general area to fall back on. Good luck!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Blue Devil

Looks like there is a bunch of lakes up near this area...going to hit a few different lakes and try to hone in on a lake/pattern.  At least I can get away from work and spend time on the water. 

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigmojet

I have camped/fished Marion Lake which is further west from Chicago. Lots of smallies but on smaller size.

Lots of loons and bald eagles to boot.

djkimmel

The ambience counts for extra for me so that is helpful. There are some lakes way up north that I fish more for the ambience than the size of the fish.

Blue Devil

Trip update

Fished total of 5 lakes in and around Iron River...caught about 50 bass and a 23lb Musky..9 bass over 4lbs and a nice 5.02 lber..never really had a day with huge numbers, but the weather was great and definitely will try again next fall.