Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Industry people are reading this forum

Started by djkimmel, January 20, 2006, 12:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

This is an interesting topic for me in the fishing arena - especialy important if you are, or want to be, a tournament angler and/or product spokesperson - making some or all of your income in the fishing industry.

Readership here is way up and slowly, but steadily climbing - thanks again to all of you for that. There are way more readers than members and posters. Various reasons for that.

One thing that we've talked about that is critical is keeping things civil here - so many forums lose members or do not get the benefit of input from industry people or at least share knowledge of what is going on because busy industry people don't see the benefit of reading the posts or they can't afford in their position to get mixed up in senseless posts.

For example, they are not going to want to argue with an individual angler over a vague issue in front of everyone. They can't afford to and nothing is accomplished usually in those cases on other forums. They may be willing to provide general information and offer help, but individual cases they will want to handle privately. I'm sure all of you understand that very well.

What I would like to see is to keep them interested in this forum and your opinions by continuing as we have. There are readers here from a number of companies in the industry from small to very large. It is valuable to all of us to have them visiting and getting productive information, or having them feel comfortable offering help if they choose to sometime.

I also want you all aware that they are visiting and reading. This is a small industry where everyone knows everyone practically. They do talk to each about things and sometimes even individual anglers. I hate when I see someone burn a bridge in this small fishing industry. It is easy to do so and very hard to overcome.

On some boards, some anglers spend a lot of their time trashing companies products and I don't really understand completely why, especially if it is an angler who claims to be in tournaments or wants to be a professional angler. Everytime they do the negative, they knock themselves further down the ladder to success.

I always say if your product (you rep for, or want to rep for or support) is really good, you should be too busy saying good things about it to have time to say bad things about a competitor. Some anglers spend all their time saying bad things about their competitor products - Makes me wonder why they aren't saying good things about the product they supposedly support?

There's nothing wrong with fair reporting of experiences and results, but the keys are being fair and honest and considerate of the accuracy of the report and the situation surrounding your experience. Especially considering that a company rep or employee from the company you are talking about may be reading what you post. These posts are never completely impersonal and definitely not private.

You never know for sure who's reading and you surely don't want to find out the hard way somewhere down the line that you are remembered for the wrong reasons by someone in the industry. It's amazing, but it happens.

It's a challenge, but a worthwhile one for anyone who wants to be involved in this great and interesting industry of fishing at some level. Decency and courtesy go a long ways in any line of business. Thanks again to all of you.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fishon1219

I have to totally agree with Dan on this one. I find my self forming a negative opinion of some people even though I have never even met them just because of the things they choose to post about or the bashing and negativity of other people or their products. I think alot of that is some people just don't know how to promote a product intelligently so their only recourse is to say something negative about a competing product. I have run a small tackle distribution company for about 7 years now and have prided my self in not having anything bad to say about competitive productsThere are some product lines I have tried to pick up and they just refuse to let me distribute them, but I always try to end our discussions on a positive note because you just never know what the future holds. Like Dan said, the fishing industry may seem huge to most of us, but the reps from all of these company's and even us anglers run into each other all of the time and talk. The best advice is to always carry yourself in a positive matter not only in your fishing dealings, but in your daily life. You will for sure find yourself farther ahead.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

McCarter

I have made some mistakes in the past.  One in particular was a discussion on choosimg a boat brand.  I am on Tritons boats pro team so naturally i was trying to get another guy to give them a look.  The whole situation kind of spiraled out of control with everyone pushing there favorite boat brands.

Next thing i know, most of us ( not all of us ) were taking pot shots at other brands.  I think after a few things were said most of us were just being defensive.  I ended up saying something negative about Ranger boats.  I own a Ranger, and it has been a great boat for the past 3 seasons.  A friend called me out on it and made me see how foolish i was being.  It made me realize that in that case, i would rather not be involved in the discussion.

As someone who is trying to be involved in the industry, relationships with fellow anglers, tournament officials, industry reps, other sponsored/pro staff anglers are very important to me.  Putting that in jeopardy (what is chlorophorm alex...lets go with state record bass for $1000) with many or even one of these people was a huge mistake.  Plus, i feel like i insulted someone who has done nothing but help me for the past 4 years.

Bottom line is i ended up sinking down to the level of my competition, which left me feeling ill.  But i did walk away from the situation learning a valuable lesson.  People make mistakes.  Just be careful what you say and who you say it to.  Especially if you want any future in the fishing industry.  It really is a smaller industry than some of us think. 

PoorBoy himself :-\'

Revtro

A lot of the communication I have in my job and personal life happen via email, and forums like these.? God knows I'm not perfect at it, but I have learned some things the hard way about this type of electronic communicating.? When you read something a person writes, you don't see is their facial expression, nor do you hear the tone of their voice.? So I've seen countless times where something was taken the wrong way because there were things that were assumed about the intent and attitude of the writer.? It's very easy to do when you can't at the very least hear the tone of the person who is speaking.?

So after making many mistakes, (not dissimilar to PoorBoy's experience) I am trying to get better at making sure I don't make off handed comments.? I think it's best to really think through how we phrase the things we write online so that we can minimize the opportunity to be taken wrong or out of context.? For me that means that I try to be a little more polite or explanative than I might feel the need to be in person.? It seems like most of the bad feelings that develop between people in an online community or over email are the result of misunderstandings about the attitudes of the writers.

My guess is; if the same conversations would have happened on the phone or in person, it would have turned out completely different because there would have been less assuming.?

Another thing that's good to do in this format is try to assume the best first.? Rather than just assume the guy who is saying something you don't like is a jerk, try assuming that electronic communication is a tough way to "read" a person and give them the benefit of the doubt.?

I totally agree with Dan (especially after what I've seen on other forums) that even though it's a challenge, decency and courtesy do go along way...in this in industry and in every area of life.?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

All EXCELLENT posts!!!! Thanks fellow anglers.

Believe me, I have made plenty of mistakes too and they can take a long time to overcome. I just really like the effort so many of you are making to be the best you can be. No one is perfect. You hear it all the time, but some forgiveness is needed and easier if we remember 'no one is perfect' includes ourselves too.

'Do unto others as you would have done to you' is a great start. 'Give the benefit of the doubt as often as possible' comes next.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

This is an outstanding forum topic Dan.  The internet is a big place.  They don't call it the World Wide Web for nothing.  If you don't believe that this forum is not being read by the industry people well you do now.  I have had some real ill feelings of what other people say about things and other people in the other posts I have read on other forums.  Before I joined your forums....I spent a lot of time reading all the forums.  In other words I was shopping for a forum such as yours that has the rules or shall we say guidelines that yours has for me to join and participate in a professional manner and still have fun.  I think it says a lot about the integrity and character of the people that participate in this one.  I enjoy the teasing and harmless bantering that happens here as well as the more serious forums.  It shows a level of maturity and integrity among the men and women that are participating members.  No ones feelings here in any of these forums have been hurt and no one has been insulted.  Things are civil here.  The none participating members I would like to encourage to jump on in at anytime.  If it ever changed.....it is easy just to fade into the woodwork....

BD    ;D

If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

dhuff

Very friendly board here.  I like that.  I have been on a few other boards that I have stopped visiting for various reasons and how people acted. 

djkimmel

I'm glad you're here. We'll probably have the occ. growing pains as we go along, but I know I can't count on everyone here and now.

I like to remind people on the various forums that they don't have to react to someone who is just trying to get a reaction. It's a choice to read and a choice to post. I will keep saying I plan on doing my best to keep this forum informative and friendly so all of you will keep coming back.

Speaking of growing 'pains' - GreatLakesBass.com has gone from 42,000+ hits in November 05 (the past largest month) to over 300,000 hits already this month. WOW!!! You are burning up the Internet.

I'm pretty excited seeing as how I'm a computer nerd too. Where this goes, nobody knows, but I hope you all hang around and find out with me... THANKS!!!

Cheetam

Quote from: djkimmel on January 20, 2006, 10:05:48 PM
...Speaking of growing 'pains' - GreatLakesBass.com has gone from 42,000+ hits in November 05 (the past largest month) to over 300,000 hits already this month. WOW!!! You are burning up the Internet...

It's winter in the North country Dan...What else can we do but surf web boards?

Seriously, though.  Those are some big numbers Dan.  You should be proud of what your building here...
Jeff

djkimmel

Thanks! My boss told me today that I was obviously suffering from severe fishing fever (but she wouldn't send me home early with pay?!?). I figure I have lots of company...:D

robtheboatman

Great topic Dan. 
The thing that frustrates me the most on the bashing subject is that you only hear half of the story.  If the rest of the board knew the full story, 9 times out of 10 they would laugh the guy right off of the board. I have seen it happen all over the web, and thats why I enjoy boards moderated by you.  You have an uncanny ability to decipher the B.S.
Rob

djkimmel

Thank you robtheboatman (Wonderland Marine West). I try hard. It just doesn't have to be a negative experience - the Internet can be a powerful tool for a lot of good.

I greatly appreciate you visiting and posting/reading here, and all your valuable help on the bass season.

As far as the full story, I used to get up to the state capital a fair amount, speaking before committee hearings and participating in meetings with state reps and senators (I also worked for the family of one state rep for several years and met with some US Congressmen and other public officials). I even had the interesting experience of powerful persons trying to use me as a pawn a couple times. Very strange feeling when you become aware of something like that.

After a while I learned there are always two stories - the one someone tells you and the REAL story.

The challenge always was to learn the real story... or, at least be aware that you probably did not have the real story... hopefully without burning any bridges or closing any doors permanently. It's a constantly evolving challenge that sometimes goes well and sometimes doesn't. Part of being an imperfect human.

dhuff

I like coming to the board.  It gives me a good place to read up on what's going on as far as Bass fishing and tournaments around the state.  But there is also a lighter side to the board that makes it fun.  Not to mention alot of the guys on the board are excited to have a get together to fish and are already excited for it.  I think as long as we can keep the negative people out that cause trouble this boards numbers will grow for years to come.

Hooksetter

Great topic, Dan. Sometimes people forget that you don't have to bash one thing to endorse another. That's one of the things that I like about this site. People can agree to disagree in a mature and productive and sometimes funny manner. Once you get to a certain level, all the tackle, boats, and other fishing related products are fairly comparable. It just comes down to personal preference.

As far as 300,000 hits this month, you can only sort your tackle so many times.[ I'm on my ninth time, I think.] Talking about bass fishing in general is as good a way as any to burn up the long winter.

99 days and counting.? ;D
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

djkimmel

WOW! You are right about the tackle. I haven't even touched mine yet. I'm not even sure where it all is!!!

You guys and gals have blown past 410,000 hits and almost 55,000 page views!!! I guess I'll know before long how much my host can handle?!?

Reminds me I have a list of questions to make up for someone... (Sorry Jon)

BTW, I found out today we had a visitor of national stature from a major international company in the industry reading on the forum!!! This is a person who deals almost daily with many of the big name anglers we talk about here - probably on that other thread about our favorite top anglers in particular.

Pretty cool!!! Don't know how much he read because I only got feedback so far about the federation stuff, but like I say, you never know who's watching... AND what might come of it... :o