Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:48:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Any Kistlers???

Started by 1javelin, March 01, 2007, 12:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1javelin

Have purchased a few Kistler rods for this season, and need to get 1 or 2 more, depending.  Does anyone have any experience with them, satisfied or not, and why?  Also does anyone know how one(me) could find some for a little less than full price??  Besides E-bay, which I am a regular on??   Thanks for any and all input..
Live to fish, Fish to live.

blakstr1

cannot go wrong with Kistler!  they are truly lighter than air but strong as a tank.  they perform really well.  the whole technique specific line of rods has really been done well, they perform just as you would like.  i have 7 rods right now...  ;)  Trey Kistler (CEO) is very approachable and helpful, you can actually call the company and talk to him  :o  they will make custom rods as well, if you still don't find a rod to suit you.  pm me if you want, i can give you more info.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

McCarter

Jav,

Cabelas usually has a couple in the bargain cave.  You wont find them on the cabelas website under bargain cave, but if you go to the store, they are usually back there.  No guarantess.  I will be at Cabelas in 3 weeks for the Spring Fishing days or whatever they are calling it, i will check for ya.

McCarter himself :-\'

blakstr1

Gander Mountain in Flint sells them, that's the closest resource to me, but seldom at a discount.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

BigSmallie

I only own 1 Kistler.   They are a fine rod........however.......the 2 things that I do not like about the rod is:

1) I had to go through 4 reels to find one that would stay in the reel seat.  So I'm not able to choose which reel I would like to put on the rod.
2) The 6'6" medium heavy rod I have seems stiff all the way to the tip...not much give at the tip like my Loomis.

But.......when you need the strength to pull fish out of heavy cover and not sacrifice sensitivitiy.........they are very nice.

BS
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

Cheetam

I have owned quite a few.  Overall, I have been satisfied with them.  Every dealing I have had with Trey or Clifford has been awesome.  Last year I slammed my car door on a 3-year-old LTA, which promptly took approx. 6 inches off the rod.  I contacted them to see where I could purchase a new tip for the rod (since I actually liked the action of that rod a lot more after I broke it than before I broke it).  Clifford sent me out 2 tips for free (since he didn't know what size would be needed, so he sent two) and I had them in a couple days.

The issue with the reel seets has been ongoing.  It is my understanding (through the grapevine) that Kistler is dropping Batson as their reel seet of choice and going to Fuji.  That will take care of the "wrapping your reel seat in electrical tape to get it to sit right" issue with Batsons (if it is true).
Jeff

1javelin

Thanks for the feedback, and anyone else can keep it coming.  I'm surprised to hear that your rod was too stiff, because comparing my MH to my buddies Loomis MH, mine was softer than his through the tip.  Wierd.  Anyways, I have Tour Edition reels, and they seem to fit fine in the reel seat.  Maybe I'll know more when I get a chance to go fishing with them.  Thanks again guys.

OUTLAW

I have used kistler for the past 7 years, I will agree with the other post Trey Used to be good to deal with, They have outgrown the personal service that they had. The new Magnesium rods are not nearly as good as the helium's they are made over sea's and do not have near the quality that you would expect from a rod at that price point! after a year the rod realy starts to show wear. I have 3 7mh heliums for sale. I have sold the rest of my rods on ebay. The best rod I have found to replace kistker is H&H rods they are real easy to deal with, Josh knows his stuff. If you need a rod for a specific aplication he will lead you the right way. If you want more info e-mail me. www.hhfishingrods.com

BigSmallie

Quote from: 1javelin on March 01, 2007, 02:34:12 PM
I'm surprised to hear that your rod was too stiff, because comparing my MH to my buddies Loomis MH, mine was softer than his through the tip.  Wierd.  Anyways, I have Tour Edition reels, and they seem to fit fine in the reel seat.

LOL!!  That is wierd!!   I don't know.....my Kistler is just stiff all the way to the tip....not any give at all in the last 8 - 6 inches???   But, this rod works great for me  when using heavy tubes or jigs.   ;)

I also us the Quantum Energy PT's with my rods but for some reason.....only certain ones will fit in that Kistler.  It must be the Fuji thing mentioned above.

Any way........I'll never give up my Loomis rods!!

BS   ;)
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

DDBethke

Quote from: McCarter on March 01, 2007, 09:31:40 AM
Jav,

Cabelas usually has a couple in the bargain cave.  You wont find them on the cabelas website under bargain cave, but if you go to the store, they are usually back there.  No guarantess.  I will be at Cabelas in 3 weeks for the Spring Fishing days or whatever they are calling it, i will check for ya.

McCarter himself :-\'

I just talked to "Bill" @ Cabela's 2day, he is going to be stocking some of the Kistler Line Rod's soon...

Duane
Please Like my Facebook Page for the best Power-Pole pricing available!                                             http://www.facebook.com/TournamentReadyTackle
Optimum Baits Pro Staff
http://www.optimumbaits.com/
Reins Pro-Staff (Tungsten/Soft Plastics)
http://reinsfishing.com/
Twitter
http://twitter.com/DDBethke
Blog
http://duanebethkefishing.blogspot.com/

bassindivine

Quote from: OUTLAW on March 03, 2007, 12:15:27 AM
I have 3 7mh heliums for sale. I have sold the rest of my rods on ebay.
how much?
MOTOR CITY BASS ANGLERS
www.motorcitybassanglers.com

1javelin

I'm pretty specific, and am looking for a 6'9" medium spinning rod, a 6'6" or 7' cranking rod, and possibly another cranking rod.  Let me know if any of you know a locale for any of these.  Thanks