Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:25:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

lake michigan bass

Started by rudycard72, January 19, 2006, 08:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudycard72

does anyone know what the smallmouth population on lake michigan near south haven is like and whats the best way to find them

djkimmel

Beyond the Kalamazoo River mouth (I've never fished it myself) that whole area is a mystery to me.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

McCarter

There is a guy out that way who dives Lake Michigan.  He has some footage of some very big ( 6 - 8 lbers from what i have heard ) smallmouth hanging on a wreck in deeper water.  I dont know the guys name.  But i might be able to get it.  Ill see what i can work up.

On a side note, i was at Hooters Novi last night and we got to talking fishing with our waitress.  Her biggest bass was a 20 lb smallmouth caught on lake Michigan on her first cast.  Then she called my biggest ( 5.69 lbs ) smallie too small and laughed at me.  Gotta love it!

PoorBoy himself :-\'

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

I have read some articles about some of the smallie fishing up in Grand Traverse Bay.? I really want to go try that out.? I guess those waters are teaming with them and they are not fished for often.? Of course you hear of Big and Little Bay De Noc.? They are supposed to be outstanding not just for Walleye, but for Smallmouths too.? I want to try both those areas someday.? Sounds like a good excuse to take a vacation up in those areas.? Those Sportsman Connection CD's that have the fishing maps actually have spots pinpointed in Lake Michigan.?

I know there are big smallies starting to show up in Chicago Harbor.? I have fished around there with my brother-in-law when I have visited my sister and him.  Did okay.  Crankbaits and tubes.  And north up the west shoreline to Wisconsin.? Of course how about Green Bay.? Lake Michigan may end up being World Class Smallmouth water some day.? I think it has a good start.

BD? ? ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Andy

I have seen some big limits ( smallies ) come from the Kzoo river but I dont have a clue were in the river they are getting them from

djkimmel

I have a clue that the guys running down there are all catching them off the channel rocks by the lake. I haven't actually seen them or ever run there. It's a looonnnnggg run and I would expect there's not too much room for more than a couple-three boats. I just don't like the idea of running 40 miles to crowd in on two or three guys that always run there. Seems like a lot good water has to be on the way.

They don't always make it back either... not too fond of that.

Some exploring needs to be done for sure.

Grand Traverse has some huge smallies, but they aren't everywhere just like the rest of the Great Lakes. I'm way behind the curve up there too. That 29 pound plus stringer last year was pretty impressive!

I've only fished Thunder Bay twice, but there are some toads up there too. Same thing - lots of 'dead' water. I keep falling back on - we are lucky, lucky anglers...

cwinsiii

UAWBigDog

Here is the first three places from a Saturday Tournament on East Grand Traverse Bay. The Tournament was on 7-9-05 1st 22.83lbs  2nd 20.98lbs  3rd 20.44lbs. I live 20 minutes from the bay's but, I haven't spent very much time on them to learn them yet, thats the plan this summer. I got one fish last year that was close to six lbs. What I've been doing is just driving until I see fish then they aren't that hard to catch. I think there is a lot of dead water but every time, I have found rock or weeds, I have seen fish.

dhuff

I have heard lots abotu the area in Traverse but never had a chance to fish it.  I may be hitting the area though this summer or fall.  Should be fun.

Skulley

Those are some pretty good weights.? Looks like the bays are coming into their own.? Lots of rocks, shoals, humps, etc. Pretty good smallie habitat.

BD? ? ?;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Savage

PB, I guess Hooters doesn't hire waitresses by how much they know about fishing......  must be how much they know about owls?? ;D

Anyway, I've only been over to the West side once, up on Grand Traverse Bay.  I only found one, but he was a toad.  Just need to get some work in up there.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Skulley

Like I said, I have never fished the bays.  Only read a lot of articles about it.  I want to try it.

BD    ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

It's BIG and the water can be clear past 35 feet visibility. Your line shadow can actually spook the fish. If you do find them, you may have a day to remember. I'm behind the curve up there too - I think I've been on the bays about 5 times.

I will say one thing - when you look North towards the open lake, if you see 'bumps' on the horizon, it's time to head in to the ramp. Take my word for it...

McCarter

Bumps on the horizon, that reminds of a lesson i learned on lake erie in 04.  At first i thought it was cool.  It is kinds cool when you see it.   But it was a tough way back in.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

dhuff

I had that happen to me last year on the bay.  Thought it was cool when I saw it coming and kept on fishign then all of a sudden I realized man this kind of sucks and got soaked on the way in.  But I was happy to make it in.  It was hard to leave those smallies alone when they were bitting.

Skulley

That is a lesson well learned PB.  I got caught out on Erie a couple of years ago.  It was nasty.  Broke a windshield.  Luckily nothing else was lost. 

BD    ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Dan

If you want to fish the Traverse area you may want to consider Interlochen State Park. One of the nicest state parks around. It's right across the street from the world renown music camp there. The park is stradled by Duck and Green Lake. Some mighty nice smallies in both lakes. Then just down the road north a few miles is Long Lake. Again some nice smallmouth water. In our September Classic you need twenty pounds to be in the top five. From Interlochen you are only 30 minutes or so from the bay. The bay is the bay and the fish are there, however it can whip up so having some inland lakes to use as blow off water especially quality lakes like Duck, Green and Long can be vacation saving. The state park at Interlochen has two cabins that you can rent if you get your reservation in early. They are small but sleep 4 and have electric to hook up the boat etc. The south cabin is the best. Over looks Duck and is quite picturesque. The north cabin is right on the road to the launch and can be a little noisy, but it is within a stone's throw of the ramp literally. If you want to fish the bay aim for just after the 4th of July. September isn't bad either with the later fall opportunities super but iffy weather wise. Caught my first six pound smallie on the bay although us west siders don't have the access to Erie like you guys do. The bay is nice, but you guys got smallie heaven with St. Clare.  You may want to mark you big lakes maps around hog island for those big early June stringers in the 30 pound class. Am a 34 year about to retire teacher who plans to spend more time catching up to those Traverse City guys who have that area pretty much to themselves. Just talked to a buddy that said Tony D. from Traverse was in the top 5 the first day of the recent Okechobee event. Stumbled on day two, but still cashed a $10,000 check. Way to go Tony!
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Isn't Hog Island restricted somehow?

cwinsiii

The fishing guide say's that the season opens on July 1 thought December 31.

That's all I could find, its to late to concentrate that much.

djkimmel

Not catch and release only, or one fish only, or something like that?

I also figure that could be a BIG BOY run in a bass boat out there. Don't know that I'll ever be that BIG a BOY unless someone in 'authority' guarantees me that the wind will not blow stranding me in the middle of Lake Michigan.