Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:34:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

G-man DQ'd on Day 2

Started by yukonjack2, February 24, 2007, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukonjack2

Seems like every year now, a prominent angler pulls a bonehead move to get DQ'd, or was it a marketing genius - I guess we'll take a wait and see on that one.  The explanation ought to be interesting. 

here is the link to the article and video - I hate it when you get busted by an espn cameraman.  looks just like the SCR on a weekend.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

Vic Cerabone

Yeah, I just saw that video too.  Very dangerous stunt he pulled.  Makes Ike throwing a temper tantrum last year seem like nothing.  Swindle could have easily killed somebody.
NBAA Motor City Inland Challenge
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details07.php?division_id=88

C-Sports Optical Pro Staff - Rx Sunglasses

Hooksetter

That was close. Way too close. He should be thankful he did not get disqualified for tomorrow as well.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Skip Johnson

I just watched the video its posted on lscn.net that just blows my mind that he did that :o he was rightly disqualified, well there goes my wifes pick ha ha, go KVD!
Go Big or Go Home!

Cy

He's not fishing tomorrow no matter what!  He didn't make the cut.  If he knew he wasn't going to make the cut he might have done it on pupose but I hope not.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Cy

I just looked at the video and I agree it was unsafe and foolish.  The one thing you can't see on the tape is what the entire river looked like or how narrow it in that stretch.  There is no question that if it was conjested he should have slowed down to a safe speed.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

bshaner

Just watched the video.  That was ridiculously unsafe.  Not to mention extremely rude.  I would be PO'd if I was in the boat he buzzed.  Reminded me of buzzing the tower in Top Gun.  Negative ghost rider the pattern is full!!

He needs more than DQ'd.  Can we get some fines going like the NBA?   ;D :o

It looked like on the video the channel was pretty wide and he could have gone out and around.  Looked to me he passed no more than a couple feet from the camera boat.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

motocross269

He probably would have made the cut with his weight..He should be fined and dropped from the rest of the tournament..What kind of message is he sending future tournament anglers with actions like that.
I like the way he handles himself and he seems to be pretty sincere, but BASS can't afford to let that slide.
Is it just me or does it seem that these type of actions have really picked up since ESPN took over???

fishon1219

Quote from: motocross269 on February 24, 2007, 10:18:11 PM
He probably would have made the cut with his weight..He should be fined and dropped from the rest of the tournament..What kind of message is he sending future tournament anglers with actions like that.
I like the way he handles himself and he seems to be pretty sincere, but BASS can't afford to let that slide.
Is it just me or does it seem that these type of actions have really picked up since ESPN took over???

I dont think that it is happening anymore often now than it used to. I think that it is just because ESPN dosent have anything else they care to talk about in the coverage so they like to take anything controversial they can and beat it to death.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

Duke

QuoteI dont think that it is happening anymore often now than it used to. I think that it is just because ESPN dosent have anything else they care to talk about in the coverage so they like to take anything controversial they can and beat it to death.

Thats not a problem with ESPN, but with society. Society likes that stuff more than anything else, and we can't expect a multi-billion dollar corporation that depends on viewers to ignore the things that'll keep people glued to their product.
Duke

bshaner

Dont know if I speak for most of the anglers/fans around here but seeing KVD power fishing would have kept me more glued to the screen.

I actually shut it off after I lost count of how many times they replayed the video.  They lost me for the rest of the broadcast.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

OUTLAW

That was a BS call by bass. I live on the west side and fish the Grand River all the time That stuff happens in every tournament! It was a judgement call by bass! They said he broke the unsafe boating rule, well I am sure that 99.9% of the tournament fisherman have broken thet rule at one time or another, If you have ever been out on the lake during small craft warnings, Ran your boat over 55mph the leagal speed limit, or passed another boat to close. We have all done it G-Man just got made the fall guy for the tv crowd. DON'T THROW STONES IF YOU LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE!

Skip Johnson

broken the 55 mph speed limit guilty as charged drive by me at 55 within 10 ft you wont get 100 yards before I run you down!
Go Big or Go Home!

Dan

Now boys.....it truly is a mute point. What's done is done. I know there have been times when I'm with a buddy and we may have gotten too close, sprayed each other etc., but when you are on TV, and make what "looks like" a dangerous move , you are going to pay the price. The Blue Angels fly a lot faster and they are probably closer than the G-Man was. That's the concept the G-Man was trying to explain. To him he assessed the situation and made a move that he didn't feel endangered anyone. Even Howell said he was cool with the whole thing. He concurred with what Gerald said about the incident, but....Life isn't always fair. When it gets down to it the fair is in August. I really feel bad for him, but I think he knows the score and will come to terms with it and move on, like we all will.  I just hope ESPN comes to terms with what it wants to do and either sells BASS or begins to market it in a direction that brings people to the sport.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

smbassman

Quote from: OUTLAW on February 26, 2007, 08:23:46 PM
That was a BS call by bass. I live on the west side and fish the Grand River all the time That stuff happens in every tournament! It was a judgement call by bass! They said he broke the unsafe boating rule, well I am sure that 99.9% of the tournament fisherman have broken thet rule at one time or another, If you have ever been out on the lake during small craft warnings, Ran your boat over 55mph the leagal speed limit, or passed another boat to close. We have all done it G-Man just got made the fall guy for the tv crowd. DON'T THROW STONES IF YOU LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE!

It was an unsafe maneuver with that many spectator boats around.  There was the other option of idleing through.  To be honest, If I was jacked up, fishing the classic, knowing I needed a big bag and not wanting to burn up 5-10 minutes idling by 50 spectator boats - I would probably make the same decision.  Afterwards, I would reflect on it and realize there was too great a possibility to cause an accident.  Bass (Trip Weldon) made the right call. 

All this could have been resolved if the camera boats and spectators could have left a lane for the pros to run back upstream.

Skip Johnson

I agree that the spectater boats had it to congested and it should not have been but it was and gerald could have told them so as he idled by.
howell may have waved him through but he was not the boat or boats that he ran too close too.
most of us have run a tight course before and know what were capable of doing and Im very confident that gerald could do that 1000 times and not hit a boat "BUT" we are also responsible for our wakes and boater courtesy for example the camera man has his eyes looking through a camera lense and not fully balanced what if he would have fell.
Go Big or Go Home!

1javelin

Howell even admitted that he waived Swindle through, so are we now going to punish Howell for okaying something like that?  He made a bad call, but like he said, he's so used to it, this stuff goes by all the time.  If Nascar DQ'ed drivers for bumping, NBA DQ'ed guards for throwing passes by heads, heck even if baseball DQ'ed players for overthrowing balls into the crowd, we would be in a lot of trouble.  Swindle lives that life everyday, and ti him it was an average pass.  I don't agree that what he did was right, because I know the rules, at least around here, stand at a lot farther than 5 feet, but it was his choice, and he felt totally fine with it.  You didn't see anyone dive for the water, and Howell sure didn't get shaky standing in the front of his boat.  My .02
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Skip Johnson

1javelin welcome to the board
we could go back and forth on this one all day Im sure and I thought about howell waiving him on also and Im sure swindle and howell are both regretting each of theyre actions, this is a hard call on both sides and Im quite sure trip had a hard time making the call but remember that the pro's are role models and example setters if it wasnt on tv nothing probobly would have been said!
these guys are all friends and I know randy and gerald thought nothing of this but it wasnt between them it was a camera boat and a spectater boat and they got wet! :D
to be honest if mc carter or garza for example buzzed me like that I would probobly laugh my butt off as long as I wasnt being watched by millions on tv, sometimes what we do when nobodys watching is much different than what we should do when millions are watching and I think thats the point being made by trip and the DQ of gerald.
Go Big or Go Home!

1javelin

I totally agree with the DQ of Swindle.  It was without a doubt the right thing to do.  I do not like being buzzed whether I know the guy or not, because I do enough rockin in bad weather and wind.  I don't need it from boats also.  And he really took a chance at messing with Howell's fishing.  I don't think the penalty was strict enough, case in point give, but I don't think Ike being DQ'd for the flag incident was right either.  They should've hung him for doing something that ridiculous.  You don't mess with the flag buddy.  Break the boat before the flag
Live to fish, Fish to live.

TCook

It was a bad judgment call by swindle period, even though it might be commen between those two, if swindle thought it was ok in the classic with a dozen boats crowded in a channel he is an idiot in my opinion. Not to mention anyone with commen sense would think there is a good chance they would get cought driving 5 feet from a CAMERA boat. A deserving punishment for an idiodic move in my opinion.
FISH HARD!!!