Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:32:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Ranger Bass Boat( Gel coat) cleaning products

Started by BIGSHOW, July 23, 2013, 12:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

What are some good products everyone is using to clean,wax or just maintain their finish. I may be getting a Ranger boat this week and it needs some good cleaning. Also what do you clean the rachet cover with? What is it made of. I only glanced at it.

fiker

For routine cleaning as I leave the lake I use a solution of white vinegar and water that I make myself.  It works well for water deposits on both the boat and the Yamaha cover.  To polish it right after I use furniture polish from the dollar store.  This system works well for me.

At the beginning of the season I paste wax the boat with some wax that was recommended by the guys at Wonderland.   

The boat looks good to me.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Slipkey

I'm with Fiker on the vinegar/water for routine cleaning.  I'm also a fan of the Zymol products for restoration and waxing. Their HD Cleanse is a great product for pre-wax and buffing out small scratches and their Marina wax for boats has a very high carnauba content which seems to last longer than other waxes. For the cover, a gentle scrubbing with a mild detergent and water and an application of 303 Fabric Guard (green bottle) does the trick for waterproofing and keeping dirt from sticking to it.  Good luck!

BIGSHOW

Im also a big fan of the 303. Great product. Sunscreen for everything

motocross269

I use Bass Boat saver every time I pull it out of the lake and 3M wax and polish products for fiberglass......

BIGSHOW

I keep hearing about the Bass Boat Saver. Where can you get this? Also, with the vinegar/water thing for cleaning water spots/deposits has this proven safe over time? Just wondering if it takes a toll on clear coat?

fiker

I mix about and inch of white vinegar with enough water to make a pint of solution in a spray bottle.  That leaves a really dilute acetic acid solution. 

I've been doing this on my Ranger for four years and haven't noticed any ill effects. 

This solution beats any I've tried for removing hard water spots, especially on my Yamaha motor cowling.  It's the only thing that keeps is streak free.

I use this same solution to clean my sonar screens as well.  So far no problems.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Lightningboy

For hard water spot removal, I hit the hull/motor with lime away or CLR.  I do it at the local self serve car wash.  I wear rubber gloves, and pour the fluid in a bucket, then apply with a sponge.  I only leave it on for a couple minutes, then wash off with the car wash power washer.  I only do this once a year, mostly for the parts of the motor that are too tough to wax.

Twice a year the boat gets a waxing.  I use a DA buffer with a light cut sponge pad, helps to get rid of minor imperfections.  I use Meguire's tech wax.  It's a cleaner wax, so it helps with finish imperfections.  It's also a synthetic wax, no carnuba.  Gives a very glassy shine that is tough & good for about 6 months.

Next day, I wax again, but with a carnuba based non-cleaner wax.  I use Meguire's, but there are lots of good ones out there.  The carnuba eliminates the glassy look of the tech wax, and give depth to the shine.  You can really tell the difference after the carnuba coat.

I end up with a very deep shine, and a super slippery surface that dirt has a hard time sticking to.

Each time I come out of the water, I wipe down with a microfiber towel & a spritz of Turtle wax "wax as you dry".  Other companies make a similar product, can't say I've seen a difference.  The turtle wax is inexpensive, plus my wife works for Target, so she just picks it up there.

I use this same system on my black Avalanche, red Mustang, and white Triton.  All end up with the kind of finish you can read a paper in.

I'd be wary of regular use of water/vineagar sprays.  The acid will remove wax.  Great for water spot removal before you wax though.  Heck, I even use actual car wash soap for cleaning, since even dish soap will eat at wax.

For vinyl/plastics, I use Meguire's low shine wipes/protectant.  I never liked the glossy look of armor all.  I know there's lots of good alternatives out there, I just haven't tried enough to say what's best.  Do be aware that some protectants will "streak" if they are fresh when they get rained on. 

As to your cover, I would seek the manufacturer's recommendations for cleaning/protecting.  Custom covers are $$, so I'd do what they say for best life.

I know a lot will say overkill, and to a point that may be true, as I am a real shine nut; I actually like buffing/waxing.  But all my rides are older, and I get compiments regularly on all of them.   8)

BIGSHOW

Where can you get the bass boat saver? I went to their website and noticed they charge about 1/3 the price for shipping. It would be nice to have it locally ( i'm in Allen Park,MI). Also is Bass boat saver similar to 303 protectant?

EKennedy

I've always used a 10:1 vinegar water solution to clean glass, plastics, and gelcoats.  It's awesome at removing hard water spots.  I try to wipe down the gel coat after each outing with a microfiber cloth to remove surface dirt.  Three times a season I'll then wipe with a spray-on liquid wax.  I have a '94 Ranger...and the surface looks almost new.
Most flat computer screens and other displays call for a non-water-based cleaner...some specifically say NOT to use Windex or any other detergent spray.  Not sure they just don't want you to purchase their cleaners...but a very gentle wipe with the vinegar solution occasionally with a very clean dry cloth seems to work well on the electronic screens.  My circa 1994 Lowrance at the bow...screen looks just fine.  Can't speak to the newer fancy color screens...haven't had one long enough.  good luck.

Jmeis

Quote from: BIGSHOW on July 24, 2013, 11:44:02 PM
Where can you get the bass boat saver? I went to their website and noticed they charge about 1/3 the price for shipping. It would be nice to have it locally ( i'm in Allen Park,MI). Also is Bass boat saver similar to 303 protectant?
[/quote

It is all I use but I get it from a dealer we fish tournaments with. Here is a list of dealers looks like KD might be closest to you  http://www.bassboatsaver.com/Dealers.aspx
Triton TX 21 Bass Master Classic 225 OPTI
It costs extra to be STUPID!