Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:01:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Seriously Frustrated!?

Started by Wolfie729, July 21, 2013, 01:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie729

So as some of you know I am newer to bass fishing and I recently found a rod I love an acadia sports my friend has I really really love the short handle most about it but found out they're out of buisiness anyone know of a similar rod?

Wolfie729

Anyone got advice on a similar rod

BNL

Take a photo & we'll try to help.

Does the rod have specs? Length? power? Line size? Intended use and weight size?

Def need more info before we could help you find a similar rods

Even saying short handle could mean a lot of things. it is pistol grip? Or just a short handle.

Wolfie729

Its a 6'6" rod medium heavy line weight 10-20lbs and lure weight is 3/8-1 oz
Thats all i know are the shimano sellus rods any good?

mikesmiph

How much do you want to spend?

Wolfie729

Revtro

Stay away from the Sellus.  I bought two of them and on the first use, one of them broke while reeling in a 2 lb fish...junk.  They are also have very little backbone.  I hated the feel.  In that price range, it's tough to find a good rod.  But the Cabela's Fish Eagle II rods are a good rod for the $$.  I have never had one break and still have some that are in the 10 year old range.  Also, in the lower price range, the Berkley Lightening rods aren't all that bad.  I like the guides they use.  A few years ago, I bought a couple of Falcon rods that I fell in love with.  They are a little higher than your budget, but great rods IMO.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Wolfie729

What about the powell diesel rods

Cy

I would take a look at the Abu Garcia Vendetta or Veritas.  You can find them in your price range if you look around.  I find something you like and buy it used to keep your price down.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Wolfie729

What about if i bumped my budget to 100$ and went with a skeet reese wright and mcgill?

fiker

Fenwick makes one in that price range also. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Wolfie729

Didnt those rods have breaking issues I looked at them I have a vengence and i love that rod but i thought i read the tips break not sure just asking

YpsiBass

Quote from: Wolfie729 on July 22, 2013, 12:21:38 PM
What about the powell diesel rods

A lot of guys here use Powell rods, myself included.  Can't go wrong in this price range.  One thing to note on this particular rod, however, is that there's no warranty on that rod.  Powell figures that at that price, if you break it, it's cheaper to just buy another one.  That being said, I haven't had any breakage problems with any of my Powell rods.  I WAS going to pick up a Diesel, but they came out with the Inferno rod line and they're just a tad more expensive, but carry the full Powell warranty.

Wolfie729

Do you guys have a recomendation for length and action it will be a swim jig spinner only rod

TimH

I own multiple Abu Vendetta's, Vengenance, and the Skeet Resse Rods, and for $80.00 regular price, $50 on sale, you cannot get a btter rod than the Vendetta.  The Wright and McGill rods are nice, but i'd put my money into the Vendetta

mikesmiph

Grandt rods ( a sponsor on this site) has the All American series of rods. All near the $100 mark. All completely US made, and all carry a unconditional lifetime warranty.

Wolfie729

Oo guys so i settled and boughy the powell diesel so far i live it but my next question is on the rod their is line lb ratings does that apply to braid also or just diametor of the line? Think i murdered that word

djkimmel

It generally refers to lbs test rating but it is just a guideline.

PS: there is a spell check button on each post and reply dialog that is easy to use for anyone who is interested in correct spelling. If it isn't important to someone, as long as we get the gist of the comments we'll be okay.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Wolfie729

Got Fish??

Don't let a brand name be the reason you like the rod. When you go to sport shops, pick up a few different rods. Look  the number of guides and make. Find  the spine of  your rod make sure it is center and true. Nine weight and lure weight Bait cast  or spinners. You mite keep a few dollars in you wallet.