Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Mepps Aglia

Started by h2o, January 19, 2006, 07:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2o

Who else uses the Mepps Aglia's? I've been using them forever. I've earned the Mepps Expert Patch. There's less than 300 of us world wide. This lure catch's all species. It casts a mile, the treble hook make's losing them harder. It is the World's # 1 lure for a reason, it call's fish. To me it's the best search lure, you have to move it. If I had to have a favorite It would be in this order, Silver,Rainbow,Platium's,Copper,but there all good, I use the plain Aglia's (no bucktails). Married to 4lb. FireLine the #2 and #3 Aglia is my go to bait. I guess when you've caught 1,000's of fish on it, it would be your favorite lure 2.

h2o<--ask any question about Mepp's Aglia's, I'll give you a answer.
BE HAPPY TO BE PART OF ALL YOU SEE

Cheetam

I can't say that I use them much anymore, but the copper bladed aglia tipped with a full nightcrawler used to catch a bunch of walleyes for us casting in Brest Bay back in the 80's.  I don't know if it's much different now, but those copper blades were pretty hard to come by for some reason...
Jeff

McCarter

Cant say that i have ever used one.  But i will pick a few up.  I know a secret about cass lake.  Little inline spinners on the flats = great big smallies in the sack.

I have thrown a few different ones out there, but not the Aglia.  I shall give it a shot.

PoorBoy himself :-\'

smbassman

Never had much luck on lake smallies with the mepp's, but there are great in rivers for trout or smallies.

They are also good on St. Clair when the white bass are schooling and busted minnows.  That is some fun action!!!!

Savage

I like the smaller ones for trout, never used them for bass before.  Seems like they would work, you can pull them through the water pretty slow.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

I can't figure out why Berkley or Mepps doesn't make H20 CEO!!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

h2o

LOL Dan  Good One my friend.

h2o

Skulley

Blue Fox inline spinners are great on Belleville.? Mepps are good too.? I give Blue Fox the edge there.? Now on Ford which is just above Belleville, the Mepps Aglia is the ticket.? Something about an inline spinner on Belleville that the smallies just love.? Especially in the spring.? Never usually use them in the fall there.? Crankbaits are usually the ticket then.? I have caught some big uns on those baits.? I keep both in my tackle box.? I don't think an angler can do without having some type of inline spinner included in his or her repetoire.

I have used the musky size mepps bucktails on St. Clair and have had 50 fish days catching big smallies with just that bait....also usually get muskies too.? ??

BD? ? ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Now that is something I haven't tried in so many years... well, I don't even remember the year now.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

These are lures I learned to fish with.  They were like old stand-bys.  I can't believe that you haven't fished these in years, Dan.  I am surprised.  I bet you tie one on this year......... :o

BD       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

I've got a bunch of them in the basement (meaning the big bucktails) I used to throw for big pike and muskies. I don't have very many regular spinners I carry anymore. I used to make them... but H20 keeps working on us...

h2o

The Mepps Aglia #5 Just catch's all kinds of fish. You just need 10lb. + line, And deeper water 6+fow casting, 8 foot trolling. I use the 2+3's mostly  2's in two feet 3's in 3 feet. I always tie them direct and never have a problem with line twist, as every now and than leave as much line from the tip to the lure on and lift it just out of the water and let it un-twist. Of course I only use FireLine and would give up fishing if I had to go back to rubberband mono. That's just the way it is. I feel that skill level allows the use of FireLine in all fishing situations. Beside's all fish feel bigger on FireLine so how can I go back to mono.

h2o<---says I've never set the hook with FireLine, it's automatic....

225XS4Garza200PXL

I used to have a small Plano box full of Mepp's Aglia spinners... all the same color... Black with Neon Green dots and Black with Orange dots... with bucktails... I believe they were called the Black Fury's... I would absolutley annihalate smallies on Belleville when I was a wee lad...

Needless to say... I don't know where the box is anymore... but i'm still whackin fish on other stuff...

H20 we need to go fishing... after fishing with me... you'll forget about the grubs and Aglia's and throw Mizmo tubes... on 10 lb Flourocarbon...

And c'mon man!! Who doesn't want to get the hook? Thats part of the fun!!

Just messing with ya...

Jose
Jose Garza

Guide and Tournament Angler - Book a Trip Today!!
www.josegarzafishing.com

Stratos Boats - The Performance Company
www.stratosboats.com

Wonderland Marine West
www.wonderlandmarinewest.com

Provider Tackle - Pro's Choose It, We Supply It!
www.providertackle.com

Nemesis Baits - Hand Poured Goodness in Every Bag!
www.nemesisbaits.com

Mizmo Bait Co.
www.mizmo.com

Cheetam

Quote from: 225XS4Garza200PXL on January 23, 2006, 10:32:40 PM
I used to have a small Plano box full of Mepp's Aglia spinners... all the same color... Black with Neon Green dots and Black with Orange dots... with bucktails... I believe they were called the Black Fury's... I would absolutley annihalate smallies on Belleville when I was a wee lad...

Whenyou were a wee lad?  :D

just messin' with you Garza...
Jeff