Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:22:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Any Belleville lake fishermen?

Started by BIGSHOW, June 19, 2013, 08:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

Getting to know the lake a little bit i'm starting to produce more fish and some pretty good ones. Although yesterday I thought I had hooked into a pike/musky as the fish spun my drag like never before. As the fish finally surfaced after getting my curiosity going for about 5 minutes I noticed a catfish that was about 15 lbs. That was the first time i've ever caught a catfish on a plastic bait. Then on the other side of the lake BOOM there goes my pole again, got another one about 10 lbs. Fun to catch, but some ugly lookin fish. Anyone else ever hook into these fish here? There must be a ton of them.

bigjc

I have hooked several cats over 10 on Bville, along with a few Carp over 20.  Many of these during tourney competition (which is bitter/sweet - fun to catch but time consuming).  I have also caught many toothy critters: Musky, Tiger Musky and walleye.
A few years back, Belleville was crawling with Tiger Musky.  I assume the stocking program has stopped, as I haven't caught one in a while now.

LAPORTE

2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Lightningboy

Some very big cats at Belleville.  I used to think of cats in the classic "bottom feeding scavenger" mentality, but I've had so many big cats come up to eat a crankbait out there that it's changed how I look at them.  Cats are top line predators, they eat what they please.

BTW, cats at Belleville are one of the reasons I've sworn off using Gulp.   :D

djkimmel

Catfish will even occasionally hit topwater lures. I've caught most of mine on crankbaits and soft plastics.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BIGSHOW

Thats crazy. I guess I've just not fished areas with alot of catfish. I always think of the doughball on the bottom spreader kind of fish. The one thing I have yet to hook into is one of them dogfish/bowfin fish. I've talked to you DJ about that. Not sure if their in Belleville? But I know their in Hamlin up in ludington. Still rather get a big 7lb bass  ;D

bigjc

I hooked a bowfin one night during a TNT tourney, that was about a five pounder.  I was fishing shallow for largemouth, and when it hit I thought I had the money fish on!  It put up a great fight, and my cusin and I were really getting excited until I caught sight of it...bummer!

BIGSHOW

Did it again today. Another Catfish, about 6 or 7 lbs. At least i've been catching alot of bass here to. Caught about 45-50 between 2 - 7:30. Probably only 10 keepers at most. 2 3 lb fish and lost a big largemouth when I pitched in a pile of wood and brush. Wish I had braid on for that.

bigjc

Sounds like you are gettin the hang of it for sure.

mikballa

that's purty interesting because the Tuesday night tournament guys can only catch 12 to 13lbs they say smallies are scarce

BIGSHOW

Holy cow. I was out there today and saw schools of shad fluttering on the water while I was shore fishing. Every now and then I would see them go nuts and id see a large fish go after them. Then it happen in casting distance from me. I cast my bait and BAM, 4 lb smallie. Next cast, another one about 3 lbs with a whole crew of buddies following him  in. After I caught about 7 it just shut down. Caught some nice size fish. I'm starting to like this lake again.

dashaver63

Caught a giant catfish flipping docks a couple years  on a booyah jig. That was crazy. It wouldnt even fit in my net . glad I am glad to hear I'm not the only one.

BIGSHOW

Anyone that needs a partner for a tournament  or just some company fishing belleville give me a holler. I sold my boat yesterday and am looking for a replacement. I need to keep the skills up. Ill pitch in my fair share. Ive done well there.

djkimmel

Quote from: BIGSHOW on June 20, 2013, 03:53:48 PM
Thats crazy. I guess I've just not fished areas with alot of catfish. I always think of the doughball on the bottom spreader kind of fish. The one thing I have yet to hook into is one of them dogfish/bowfin fish. I've talked to you DJ about that. Not sure if their in Belleville? But I know their in Hamlin up in ludington. Still rather get a big 7lb bass  ;D

Dogfish are just about everywhere. On some lakes, the bowfishermen have come in and thinned their numbers since there is no season or limit. Dogfish are an important, natural part of our waters. They specialize in picking off the sick or weak smaller fish in particular. They are slimy, hard to get hold of and have a 'face' maybe even a mother can't love but they can be fun to catch once in awhile. Some people think they only live in lakes with poor water quality, etc. but I've seen them in super clean, clear lakes like Higgins, where some people who live there seem to think I'm hallucinating ;D

I've actually bedfished them a number of times. Similar to bass in how they make a bed and protect it. I've also found them guarding their little crazy fry/fingerlings. Usually, both parents stay around and guard the little ball of mini-monsters. That's good parenting :)

Sounds like you are on the Belleville bass pretty good. Maybe they are doing something different and you've come upon it?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.