Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:48:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Higgins Lake???

Started by BigSmallie, February 04, 2007, 01:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmallie

Has anyone fished Higgins Lake?   Big fish? Small fish?  Lots?  None?    I've never been on it and our club is looking for new water.......but I've never seen any clubs holding tournaments on this lake??    It would seem to me that it has great potential for some large smallies!

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks! 

BS
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

Chewy

I have never fished it but I plan to go up there this spring.  I talked to the owner of Pheonix Party Store.  He seemed to know quite a bit about the smallmouth when I talked to him and he also mentioned some weights from a few tournaments they just had up there.  It sounds as if you can hit it right, there are some hog smallies in there.  Sorry I don't have his phone number.  I lost it a while ago.  Hope this gives you a starting point.   

MaizeNBlue

I fished it once, last year over the 4th of July weekend. There was TONS of traffic, so wasn't able to do to much fishing. It's a wonderful looking lake, clearest water I have ever fished on. See the bottom easily 40 ft down. If fact I was sight fishing schools of rock bass at that depth. I would LOVE to be there when the fish are on beds!! I did manage to catch a few smallies, before the boat traffic made it impossibe to fish. They were on flats around rock piles. There are plenty of drops that go from 6ft straight down to 80ft or more.

MIBassKid

I've fished this a couple times, the smallmouth are tought to find. You can find some just off of the sunken island and also, Flag Point. The lake is big and Maize was right, you can see bottom in 40 ft. of water. You can also catch smallies off the drop off near the state park and along the shore, there are huge brush piles and down towards flag point you will run into LOTS of wood. Huge poles sticking up and tons of 'em. Hope this helps somewhat.
-Kid

MIBassKid

...oh and i forgot. GET THERE EARLY!!! OR ELSE!!! boat traffic is awful!
-Kid

BigSmallie

Thanks for the info........it helps.   I just didn't want to set up a tournament over there if there weren't any smallies.

From what you are all saying.........the best time to fish the smallies would be a June tournament......which is what I had planned.   I had heard the water was really clear.........I just didn't realize you could see the bottom in 40 FOW!!!!!     

This will certainly make for a very interesting bed fishing tournament!!

Thanks  ;)
BS

MaizeNBlue

Let me know when you set it up. My g/f's brother owns a cottage 1/2 mile from Houghton lake, love to try out Higgins during that time of year.

djkimmel

Higgins has a lot of springs - keeps it cold and clear for things like smelt and trout.

There are small populations of quality  smallies scattered around the lake. There are some really big ones too. Weights can be really big at times, but more than a small number of boats, and everyone will be fishing on top of each other.

I have not tried the fall yet, but the very beginning of the regular season can be pretty good depending on the current weather pattern and water temps.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BigSmallie

Dan.......from what you say......it sounds like there is only one good spot on the lake that would hold the majority of bed fish??    The reason I ask is because it does look like there is an awful lot of sand!!

We will usually have between 15 & 20 boats.

Thanks!

BS

BASS FISHERMAN

i go thar in earily fall an i start in chuckin me spinners bait an no bass at all  ??? ??? ???
i chuck an i chuck an i chuck but juss no luck  :-[ :-[ :-[
i pak up an i go down to HOLTON LAKE an i starts ovur  ;) ;) ;)
i chuck me spinners bait an wammo i getts a nice one  ;) ;) ;)
durin the ress of the fishin day i spanks a numbur mure of thems an a coople of big pikes aswell  ;) ;) ;)
i not go bak up thar fur fishin but maybee i stay in states campin grounds up thar sume time  ;) ;) ;)
all depends on whut ma is wantin to do  ;D ;D ;D
nice walleyes in HOLTON LAKE to an evin big blow gals  :) :) :)

HOPE THIS HELP

:-* :-* :-* RANGERS BOAT RULE  :-* :-* :-*
i juss moves neer Belding on M-44 in Michigan USA
an verrie proud of it

BigSmallie

Quote from: BASS FISHERMAN on February 16, 2007, 07:09:47 PM
i go thar in earily fall an i start in chuckin me spinners bait an no bass at all  ??? ??? ???
i chuck an i chuck an i chuck but juss no luck  :-[ :-[ :-[
i pak up an i go down to HOLTON LAKE an i starts ovur  ;) ;) ;)
i chuck me spinners bait an wammo i getts a nice one  ;) ;) ;)
durin the ress of the fishin day i spanks a numbur mure of thems an a coople of big pikes aswell  ;) ;) ;)
i not go bak up thar fur fishin but maybee i stay in states campin grounds up thar sume time  ;) ;) ;)
all depends on whut ma is wantin to do  ;D ;D ;D
nice walleyes in HOLTON LAKE to an evin big blow gals  :) :) :)

HOPE THIS HELP

:-* :-* :-* RANGERS BOAT RULE  :-* :-* :-*

Not one bit......but thanks any way.

BS

djkimmel

I've only fished Higgins for bass 3 times, but I have recognized at least two respectable sized spots that concentrate smallies. I don't think it will take much time for your club to recognize them either.

I believe there are a handful of smaller areas mixed in all the miles of sand. 15 to 20 boats is about as many as you'd probably want on there during the spawn. Think of the comradery of fishing somewhat around each other ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BigSmallie

Thanks Dan.   I'm smellin' what your cookin'....... ;)

Thanks again for all the info...........I'm just glad the lake has enough fish for our club........with a few big fish mixed in! 

BS

djkimmel

Oh -there's some whoppers. You need a birddogger, kind of like that crazy nut BASS FISHERMAN chuckin' spinnerbaits ;D. When the BIG one comes in from the depths following his spinnerbait, you toss in a tube and catch it. Larry used to do that to me on Higgins every time we went there.

I didn't think it was very fair... but he always said, "fair's got nothing to do with it."