Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 01:44:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New small mouth bass fisherman needs advice

Started by Slick, January 29, 2007, 01:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

I honeslty think the best hook for fishing st clair, lake erie, either of the rivers, or anywhere there are a lot of rocks, zebra mussels, is a Mustad Ultra point hook.

Dont get me wrong fellas, McCarter loves his Gammis.  But sometimes they are not the best  hook in a certain situation. 

Gamakatsu makes a super sharp, super strong hook.  Problem is, they are so sticky sharp that they get hung up on EVERYTHING!!!  I cant tell you how much money i have invested in the bottom of lake erie, st clair, the rivers, and a handful of other lakes.  I started using Mustad ultra point hooks on my tube heads when fishing around 'snaggy' areas last season.  It has made such a huge difference.

First of all, they are light wire, so they penetrate easily.  Second, they are sharp.  Maybe not as sharp as a gamakatsu or an owner, but they are sharp enough to hook any bass out there.  But they are not so sharp that they snag every little mussel or rock on the bottom.  Less snags means more fishing time.  I have fished draw events with guys who spent all day retieing and trying to free tubes from the bottom.  Plus, they cost a fraction of what a gamakatsu costs.  I have seen tube heads with gamakatsu hooks cost as much as $1.17 each.  Cmon.  I dont have that kind of money, especially with how many of those you can lose in a day.

I know some people are going to argue.  SOme may even claim the never lose any jig heads and they only use gamakatsu hooks.  Thats all fine and dandy, but if you know some secret for keeping them from sticking to the bottom, please indulge the rest of us.

I fish tournaments, not very well sometimes, but i am still putting my money on the line.  If i thought for a second that i was not benefiting by using a Mustad hook over a Gamakatsu in these situations, i wouldnt be risking it.  But i truly believe you will gain more fishing time and spend less time retieing by using Ultra POints hooks when fishing around snags.  ANd your not going to miss fish on them anymore that you would with any other hook on the market.

McCarter himself

joshimoto son

I make my own tube jigs. I do that because I have modified my jig mold so that I can put a 5/0, 90 degree aberdeen hook in them.

I lose less fish this way.

joshimoto son ;D

fishon1219

I have to agree with McCarter on the mustad's as well. They are all I use for my tube's. Probably because I steal all of my tube heads from him. I can for sure tell the difference in how many times I retie when dragging the St.Clair river between the same weight mustad's and the Gammies.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

Revtro

I completely agree about Mustad's.  Last year I made the switch to Ultra Point hooks for everything.  And I'm with Josh on the 5/0 hook thing.  I use a 5/0 hook whenever I can when tube fishing with the exception of 1/4 oz jigs or lighter.  Personally I seem to have a better hookup ratio with 90 degree hooks versus 60's, but whatever you have confidence with, go with it.  Maybe it's just the way I set the hook that makes the difference...don't know.  But I seem to lose less fish with 90's.  Plus they seem to snag the bottom less, especially in the river.  I gave all my 60's away.  Just my opinion... I'm still learning too.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

MaizeNBlue

I also started out as a walleye fisherman, so be carefull what you wish for  ;). Everyone here has offered great advice, and has put you on the right path. I would also recommend 8-12 lb flurocarbon line, for dragging tubes, and a med-heavy rod. You will need something with some backbone to get a good hookset 30ft down.

gr@ssmonkey

ok...slick....i was in your position just a couple of years ago,but with a little time on the water(exclusivley in the river and ignoring the lake) this is what i have found.
  the locals called it slipping(a controled drift down river using your trolling motor to keep you more or less vertical on your lure) thats probably nothing new to u walleye fisherman.1/2 to 3/4 wieghts,of course tubes work great but lots of other soft plastics to (even a blade bait works real good but lots more work)......i think one of the best tools u can have on the river is an uderwater camera,this will save u so much time when trying to locate them and alot of the times the smallies are not far from your walleye.i think depth is the biggest key ever in the river.....i know lots of people talk about the fish moving in the river when it gets hot out or later in the year,and i'm sure a population of fish do but what i have found is early in the year there is still lots of fish in the river but they are scatterd at all depths making it hard to really catch the big sacks.....but when that 90 degree weather comes allmost all mature fish head for the middle of the river(deep 25-40 fow) this is when the bite really turns on,drop the camera down and you'll be blown away,how many smallies in huge schools are just holding down there.Now find yourself a couple of good docks and a sea wall or to 2 and put yourself a little milk run together you be catching them in no time.........and catching is learning!!!!!! hope that helps alittle remember the camera,i can't stress how much it has helped me........i just bought one at menards of all place's for $99 on sale i think it's normally $150,it's called the aqua cam and is the exact same as the aqua view....

Slick

Thanks guys for all the info, I will put it to good use when it finally starts getting warm out ;D... This artic blast will be keeping me in the house tieing crawler harnesses this weekend, I use to ice fish but not any more..

Grassmonkey slipping yep I know it well, it's pretty much the same thing when your jiging.. I just dont want to waste such a good fighting fish when there right here in my back yard..

The only bass fishing I use to do was when I was a kid fishing for large mouth bass on harsens island in the spring, use to tear them up..

Here is one more question for ya how many of you eat small mouth bass?? Cya Slick

fiker

Another technique for the river, or in the Lake for that matter when there is a little current. (like by the Firecracker) is to use a 3 way rig. 
With this set up you can allow the texas rigged tube a little freedom, and still keep in down in the column.  Choose sinker type as to bottom conditions. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Revtro

I've tried Smallmouth a few different ways back in the days before I got conservation minded.  Yuck!  Mushy and fishy.  If I'm looking for a fish to eat, I go Walleye fishing and leave the Smallies in the lake so that St. Clair stays one of the top Smallmouth fisheries in the world. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

bassackward

I also agree with McCarter on the Ultra Points, the points on these Mustads are cone shaped, so that when they penetrate they produce a round hole. When a point is ground or filed, they most often leave more of a rip than a cut. When the Ultra Points puncture, the hole they do leave is no larger than the base of the cone.  I have also found that though these hooks are not the sharpest, the do stay sharp the longest.  As to the question, How to fish the river? all I can really say is try not to drag to much, throw on a tube and think walleye.
work is work, love is love,FISHING is LIFE!!!

Revtro

That brings up an interesting question:  I have done a lot of vertical jigging with a tube, but recently a few guys that I know are good fishermen have told me they drag more in the river than keep their jig vertical.  Any insight on the best way to present a tube in the heavy current?  I'd like to get better at this.  Hope this isn't a subject change.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Slick

Cheetam

Quote from: Slick on February 02, 2007, 09:41:05 PM
Hey guys look what I just picked up look like I got a good deal what do ya think?????? Cya Slick

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:31&Item=330081229272
I think you're going to catch a boat load of smallies!
Jeff

Slick

I was just watching Al Linder talk about where smallies stage in river during the cold water season, he was saying deep and in low current areas.. I am not to sure about where they spawn but I figure if I can put there habits togeather and with my knowledge I have of the river I should be able to figure some of the best area's of the river to fish for them..

I also like the idea of the under water camera, that should save me a ton of time finding the smallies as well..

Thanks Jcheetam I hope your right.. Cya Slick

Slick

Hey guys I just got done ordering some tubes from  Wayne at Extreme Bass Tackle nice guy, I talked to him for a few minutes enjoyed the chat and I feel a littler better about how well I am going to do chasing these small mouth.. Cya Slick

Bassman

Hey Slick,

I found that a number of smallies like to go for a green pumpkin purple 4" Yum dinger.  I have won a few bronzeback tournaments on Devils Lake and Round like by wacky riggin' a four inch yum dinger.  I also use an 1/8 bullshot about a foot up the line for wieght instead of inserting nails into the soft plastics.  By putting the bullshot on the line the Yum dinger flutters behind it with a slow fall.  This presentation will allow you to probe the shallows as well as deeper water with little change.  If you find fish in deep water try using a heavier bullshot on the line.

Dan

Ok, I give. What is a bullshot, or is it just a type o?  I have a number of buddies that are full of bullshot.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Cheetam

Quote from: Dan on February 26, 2007, 04:29:40 PM
Ok, I give. What is a bullshot, or is it just a type o?  I have a number of buddies that are full of bullshot.
We must have a few of the same buddies  :D

Bullshot is a bullet-shaped splitshot:

http://www.watergremlin.com/history.htm
Jeff