Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:04:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Can't get lower unit loose

Started by Revtro, May 01, 2013, 05:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

I need to change my impeller on my 2003 Merc 200 EFI.  I loosened all 5 bolts, plus the anode and I can't get the lower unit to separate at all.  It's like it's stuck.  I hasn't moved a millimeter.  I knocked on it with a rubber mallet and tried a little prying with a 2x4.. no luck.  I'm afraid to give it too much pressure.  Any ideas?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Waterfoul

Trim the motor up and try to rock it off... you can get better leverage. 

2 nuts on each side.  One front and center.  One more above the prop PLUS the anode.  Are you sure you got the one above the prop...?
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Revtro

There was one up front, two along the side, two underneath above the prop, and the one for the anode.  That should be it right?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Waterfoul

Yup, that's it.  It "should" come off now.  Never had one stick though... at least not like you are describing.  I'd try what I suggested before... leverage.  Avoid trying to pry it off... you'll scratch/ding/make a mess.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Revtro

No dice.  It doesn't move at all.  I tried prying with a 2x4, banging on it with a mallet, dropping the motor all the way down onto a 4x4 and bumping it, can't think of what else to do.  I downloaded a manual and verified that there are no other bolts.  I doubt the driveshaft is seized up because it doesn't even crack loose at the seam.  I don't want to pry and I don't want to apply heat.  I sprayed some PB Blaster and tried an hour later... nothing.  Brute Force??
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Waterfoul

Wow.  That's all I have left to say.  Can't believe it won't come off.

rkillick

your gonna go check it in the morning and it will be laying on the ground...I have only pulled one and it was on a 72' johnson 50 hp it came off easy...

mikballa

hey tom mike here did you try putting the boat in forward gear sometime this will work is the boat over heating let me know mike.

Revtro

Quote from: rkillick on May 01, 2013, 09:57:41 PM
your gonna go check it in the morning and it will be laying on the ground...I have only pulled one and it was on a 72' johnson 50 hp it came off easy...

I thought of that...I bolted it back up just in case. :)  I'm gonna let the PB Blaster work overnight and see if that helps.  In the morning, I plan to go give it another try.  One suggestion I heard is to start the boat up and have the bolts half loosened and shift it back and forth a few times.  I'll try to muscle it off first.  Yeah, Mike it overheated today.  Just for a few seconds.  When I gave it gas, it started pulling water and the temp went down.  Fun times.  :/

I'm open to any other suggestions.  I have heard of people putting heat to the bolts...not sure how I feel about that.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dartag

There are some good you tube videos on getting if off.  Also check the thermostats.  There should be one on the top of each bank of cylinders.

Revtro

Grr.  Tried YouTube.  Not too many people have it stuck this way.  :/  It's definitely the impeller.  At idle, it isn't spitting water, give it just a little gas and it starts spitting.  What I don't know is if there is a seal where the lower and upper units come together.  Will I do damage if I pry?  I am afraid to apply heat because I don't want to ruin the black finish on the LU.  I tried tapping on the most forward bolt with a hammer but I don't want to ruin that bolt.  Hmm.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

I've learned the hard way more than once that our 'brute force' methods are often the wrong way to go! I would think there is a seal but others on here will know for sure.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Cy

Rev,

Go to the auto parts store and get some PB Blaster.  It is he best penetrating oil in the world.  Spray the seam liberally and wait a half hour.  Then tap it with a dead blow hammer and it is doesn't come off spray it again and wait.  It should do the trick!

http://www.blastercorporation.com/PB_Blaster.html

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Mini

There should be no gasket or seal between the LU and the Mid Section (at least I have not seen one). I have a 2001 225EFI and mine came off easy when I first pulled it (a few years back).

Are you the original owner? I would hope the impeller had been changed at least 3 times by now! If you are not the original owner it is possible that the backyard mechanic that owned it before you put somekind of "make a gasket" on there first....

When removing you "should" put it in forward gear. And leave both the LU and the Engine in gear until you remount it.

If you cannot get it to move still you may want to post on BassBoat Central in the Mercury forum. There are a couple of REALLY good master mechanics that frequent there and give out all kinds of advice to the do it yourselfers like us. Sherms Marine moderates the forum and European Marine also give plenty of great advice. I would try searching for an answer first before posting....iBoats would be another source of information.

Good luck! I am going to go over there and look too because I find it hard to believe that you are the only person to ever have this happen to!

Revtro

Success.  It took some elbow grease, but it finally came off.  I guess I was just a little worried about breaking something.  The rest of the repair went smoothly.  Thanks all for the suggestions. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dartag

Hope that fixes.it.  I had a thermostat freeze up on mine. It would.overheat at idle when you give it gas there is a bypass so it would cool down. 

Revtro

Good advice.  I'll definitely keep an eye on it.  On the plus side, it peed water at idle after I changed it whereas it didn't on the water yesterday.  So hopefully I'm good to go.  I have an outing in the am, so I'll "road test" it in the am.  Or should I say "water test"...
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Revtro

Did I mention that I love being a part of this online community?  Some good folks here.  :)
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

Glad you got it taken care of.

I wasn't sure about the gasket or seal. Good to know and also a good idea to think about a previous owner possibly adding their own 'seal' to make things more challenging for those this might apply to.

I may have to replace my impeller one of these days. Not sure I'm brave enough to do it myself.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

I have mine done every other year when I winterize....I run in alot of sand and it chews them up...Guys that run alot of hours should probably do it every year...

I had an impellar go out on me while prefishing for a tournament up north...It cost me two days of fishing to get it fixed...So I just do it now for cheap insurance...