Main Menu

Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Grand Lakes thoughts?

Started by 10-10 Bass Busters, April 03, 2013, 05:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10-10 Bass Busters

So my fishing partner talked me into fishing NBAA again(our first time doing division 61).  We were looking for a Thursday night league and didn't like division 1 choice of lakes, so decided to try something new. My partner went to Patoka two years ago and I was kinda excited about maybe going out of state next spring if we qualified for the championship this year. Not sure if that's going to happen now. Oklahoma is a bit of a drive!!  With at least 70% of membership still in Michigan I would of thought something a bit closer would have been picked. Just my opinion don't mean to offend anyone. Oh well still looking forward to meeting and fishing with the guys of division 61 and if we do qualify I guess time, gas prices, and bank account will tell!

rudycard72

I think it was a bad decision, and I believe turnout will be very low. I was planning on fishing nbaa this year but now I probably won't be.

bsimpson

I'm actually leaving for Grand Lake tomorrow, to fish the TBF championship.  I'll let everyone know when I get back how the drive there and back was.

Hooksetter

My wife and I were going to fish one of the weekday series but now that the classic is in Oklahoma we will pass. I will spend my hard earned money in Michigan.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Larry313

I'm ok with it.  The only reason I fish the NBAA is for the convenience that the division I fish has all Oakland county lakes and we can knock off work 30 minutes early and still make it.  I look at it as more of a golf league or bowling league, just something to do on a night or 2 during the week.  Yes the drive to Kentucky or next year Grand Lake is long and the trip for 2 people could cost you $700-$1,000 each in food, gas, lodging, etc.  If you qualify you don't have to go.  My partner and I look at the championships this way...We now skip going on guys golf trips and things of that nature and now take fishing trips instead.  We have always wanted to fish lakes like Kentucky, Patoka, and Grand and now we have a reason to get a way for a week to do so.  I will admit however, we have always wanted to bass fish in Texas but that may be pushing it.  Just my 2 cents.

Manxfishing

For me
We've made the Classic the last couple of years and we did fish Patoka
Great country, weather and met a few people. But what a waste of my time
I'll be skipping any furture classic's no matter what lake there on
I'd much rather fish as a co angler for some of the bigger tournaments or plan a trip or weekend on
a good lake.

But these days. Doesn't anyone who fishes all the tournaments in any div get a pass to the classic?
It really doesn't mean a thing any more. Your more or less a cash cow for the NBAA
They need the numbers to show up to get the pay backs

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

jcox7

First off I have no inside knowledge about why and how they came up with Grand Lake??  I would guess they got offered a good amount of money from the area but that is just a guess.  I would however think that this had to be in the cards before the new ownership took over NBAA was growing out of Michigan and into other areas of the country.  I believe for this to happen you can not expect for other divisions to always drive to Michigan or bordering states for championships.  Kentucky Lake is only about a 2 or three hour less drive than Grand lake, Patoka Lake is not that close either.  I would like to think that they felt that the championship should be a nice trip for you and your partner.  To fish some new water on a even playing field.  IMO I would rather fish Grand Lake against most of you than have to fish against the local hero of some lake.  Maybe next year they will choose Murray or Champlain, Kerr think of all the possibilities.  This could give us the chance to fish those once in a lifetime places.  As far as the money everything is the same when it comes to food and lodging the only difference is in the cost of fuel getting there.  This could be an extra couple hundred bucks but it could be well worth it.

Also I believe I heard the fall Championship is on Burt this year.  Think of that drive for even guys in southern Indiana.  It is called National Bass Angler Association I think??

customfishn

I agree I mapped it and from my door to the lake its only 12 hours.  That sucks but doable for the chance at fishing for the best fish of my life time.

Genie

Fish all year, qualify, and don't go ... great!  Same money for me to win and less people to fish against!
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

bsimpson

I just got back from Grand Lake a week ago.  Keep in mind we went to Tulsa for 2 days first, which is about 180 miles more then we needed to drive (90 miles each way).

Here are the stats:

861 miles from the boat ramp to my front door (Stanton, Michigan)

2,242.50 miles driven total

I burned through about 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank of gas a day on the boat while I was down there on the lake.

About 14.5 hours from the ramp to my house, not that bad of a drive, just long.

Overall, it was a great experience and there were some TOADS caught!!!!!

I would recommend staying at the Stonebrook Inn.  VERY tournament friendly and only 3 miles from the ramp.

djkimmel

It's okay to share your opinions honestly and openly on here. That is one of the main reasons I created GreatLakesBass.com.

It is helpful to those who are looking for input. Sometimes it even helps steer future decisions.

Please continue to remember there are lots of anglers with varying opinions and expectations too. Luckily, there are no shortage of bass tournament options out there for pretty everyone's taste.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.