Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:34:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Wiggle warts

Started by Manxfishing, March 12, 2013, 06:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manxfishing

This year I'm going to work on crank baits
And seeing how I have more then a few wiggle warts I'll be trying them

So who else throws them?
I have a couple pre Rapala in a few craw colors and the new ones as well

And have you noticed that the older ones work any better as well

Got Fish??

It's my number one lure I throw. Brads lure  looks almost the same. I buy used  wiggle warts on line and at  yard sales.

Skulley

I like the "original series" and "mad flash series" for wiggle wart colors. Once in a while you will find older warts online in colors they don't manufacture any more. I still use them. I don't use a lot of those high end expensive cranks. I haven't seen any of those really out fish a wart, a Norman, a bomber, a bandit just to name a few. I've seen the Spro, the Lucky Craft, etc., which are higher end baits and I'm not really convinced they are any better than what I'm fishing with now. It's all about what you have confidence in.

BD.                                         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Try Fat Free Shads too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Manxfishing

Quote from: djkimmel on April 19, 2013, 08:43:43 PM
Try Fat Free Shads too.

Thanx,
I own those as well
It's a Excaliber bait that was some how bought or picked up by Bomber
But it's a much larger bait over a wiggle wart and they only make 2 craw colors

BPS had the wiggle warts for 3 some thing so I picked some more
I'm out to find out if the Old Pre rapala fish any better than the new ones.
They used lead rattles were the new ones have steel.

djkimmel

The original Wiggle Warts had a secret, cult-like following. Especially in a few specific colors. I have not tried any 'new' wiggle warts so I can't comment on that.

Fat Free Shads actually come in 3 or 4 sizes, along with suspending and floating. Or used to anyway. I have so many, I haven't bought many in a while so I'm not positive which models they are presently making.

The Fat Free Shad moniker is a little confusing because they use that name for the originally made famous large size, while marketing the whole line of lures under that name too. On St. Clair, I use the next 2 sizes down a lot more. Off the top of my head, I think they are the Fat Free Fry and the Fat Free Fingerling. I'm sure about the Fat Free Fry.

I mostly pick the size based on the depth I need to get to first, and the aggressiveness of the bass 2nd. Bigger for deeper, and bigger for more aggressive, and/or need bigger bass (aka the tournament kicker fish back when I was fishing all those tournaments)! During the summer, I mostly use the floater, and later in the year, I use the suspending lure more often.

Bomber put their own name on some Fat Free look-alikes a few times, often at a better price, and sometimes with some interesting colors.

As far as colors on St. Clair, I mostly used white, green and/or chartreuse, or brown. In May/June, I mixed in some red too because it worked. As far as this color number or that color number, I was interested in white, green / chartreuse, brown, and sometimes red. The fish didn't seem to care much more than that usually so why should I? Erie seemed similar to me though I used green or brown more often because sheepshead lika da white! My arms get tired... ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

There have also been shallow and mid depth running Fat Free crankbaits. I've caught lots of bass on those too including the big bass of the 2000 BFL Mississippi River Regional (5-9) on white mid depth (they were hard to keep running straight bouncing off lots of wood).

I have a boatload of other crankbaits but I have lots and lots of Fat Free whatevers. If they're good enough for the bass, they're good enough for me...

I only have 2 or 3 original wiggle warts in the regular size left (chartreuse-herringbone for color fanatics). They are beat up and don't like to run right anymore. I caught lots of bass on various wigglers but I could cast other types better and caught as many or more bass. There are parts of the country where wiggle wart fever is so high that you feel you just have to have them in the boat. But I haven't been to those parts in quite a while.

I probably have a few old magnum wiggle warts somewhere, but I have completely forgot where I put them.

That just means, at some point, some day, I will open up an old cardboard box, or a dusty, rickety tackle box, and a whole bunch of old lures will be new all over again!!! Christmas!! ;D

raisinrat

We have been spanking bass already this year on the Scatter Rap Crank they can't resist dang things. I have been impressed with them so far. One of my employes is out right now and has been getting fish over 20 inches today on them near the shop.
Justin Clark

Got Fish??

I fished the original rapala when it had  no rattle, and was made of wood.  made in Finland. I still have some new ones in the box. Gold and black!, silver and black!   WOW, AM I OLD.?

djkimmel

Quote from: raisinrat on April 29, 2013, 03:30:42 PM
We have been spanking bass already this year on the Scatter Rap Crank they can't resist dang things. I have been impressed with them so far. One of my employes is out right now and has been getting fish over 20 inches today on them near the shop.

That's like a timely, helpful fishing report! Thanks! :)

raisinrat

Quote from: djkimmel on April 29, 2013, 06:58:07 PM
Quote from: raisinrat on April 29, 2013, 03:30:42 PM

That's like a timely, helpful fishing report! Thanks! :)

Mike who works at the shop just got this out there while casting for bass looks like walleye like them also.

Justin Clark

edyer

I have a few 3700 boxes of both the regular size and Magnum wiggle warts in the pre-Rapala era. I use them on Table Rock lake, but have won some tournaments in Michigan with them as well. I probably throw Ram crankbaits and C-Flashes more in Michigan though.