Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bass Master All Star Event in Muskegon???

Started by troossien1, March 11, 2013, 12:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troossien1

ok, question.... WHY Muskegon lake??  I am really excited to see that in late September Muskegon and White lake will be hosting the BassMaster Allstar event.  MLive did an article on it and I hear KVD chose it. Any one have more information than I do?
http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2013/02/bassmasters_all-star_event_to.html
Kistler rods

Mike S.

Why not Muskegon Lake?  You have a good sized lake, with an abundance of structure, drop offs, weeds, docks, and anything else you could want to throw a bait at. If it isn't a closed event, there are so many waters connected to Lake Michigan, the chances for a big bag are definitely really good. Why not get a little exposure for the west side of our state?  Where else on the lakeshore is there an area better for holding a tournament like this one?  Do you know how many peole are going to be there for this?  It is going to be a zoo.

If KVD did pick Muskegon Lake, there is obviously a good reason. We see him here every summer. Late August is usually when the smallies are showing up again, and there is always a largemout bite. I'm beside myself that they will be here. I can't wait!  I really want to see wjo fishes where I do, and what they catch. Once again, why not Muskegon?

troossien1

will you be a spectator boat?  I know I will be!
Kistler rods

Bassomatic

I am curious to see how they address the " No drop shotting on drowned river mouths" rule that our brilliant DNR still has in effect as far as I know.  Maybe Zona can get it some air time so they will finally wake up and remove  this from the books.  Nothing I like more than a law because we can't enforce another law that is already in effect.  Pure Michigan!

Kal-Kevin

First it was not KVD that came up with the idea for Muskegon Lake, it was Zona that made it  happen. As the story went they where having a meeting on what lakes to do for the all-star events this year. Well Zona was joking around and said instead of that lake that we do not want to go to lets do it on Muskegon lake up in Michigan. They asked him if he knew some contact up here who can help out, which he does, and they said lets do it! When Dan get here he can fill you in on the whole story since he most likely recorded.

Mark also said he will be there doing a show, and he asked us all to show up. He want to show that Michigan is the state they should do more tournaments at.

And yes I plan to be there, I too have, or he will kick my behind!

djkimmel

Quote from: Mike S. on March 11, 2013, 03:17:26 PM
Why not Muskegon Lake?  You have a good sized lake, with an abundance of structure, drop offs, weeds, docks, and anything else you could want to throw a bait at. If it isn't a closed event, there are so many waters connected to Lake Michigan, the chances for a big bag are definitely really good. Why not get a little exposure for the west side of our state?  Where else on the lakeshore is there an area better for holding a tournament like this one?  Do you know how many peole are going to be there for this?  It is going to be a zoo.

If KVD did pick Muskegon Lake, there is obviously a good reason. We see him here every summer. Late August is usually when the smallies are showing up again, and there is always a largemout bite. I'm beside myself that they will be here. I can't wait!  I really want to see wjo fishes where I do, and what they catch. Once again, why not Muskegon?

Shoot! I agree with you! Fishing is great in Michigan! Let's show everyone and lets get more of these events in the future!! I fully expect these anglers to rock everyone's world with what they do to Muskegon and White Lake! (Zona suggested the lakes to Jerry McKinnis btw.) I'm glad we got it! Let's make it awesome and get some more!!!!

PS: 99.5% sure they will close Muskegon and White keeping all the anglers only on those lakes the days they fish them. Just based on the way they hold this event, that's a pretty safe bet. We will all find out.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: Bassomatic on May 07, 2013, 07:08:46 AM
I am curious to see how they address the " No drop shotting on drowned river mouths" rule that our brilliant DNR still has in effect as far as I know.  Maybe Zona can get it some air time so they will finally wake up and remove  this from the books.  Nothing I like more than a law because we can't enforce another law that is already in effect.  Pure Michigan!

I'm 99% never in favor of rules that punish the many because of the few. Especially when I think they do a lot more harm to fishing than good. This regulation is on my personal hit-list. I hope to get to it one of these days, but anyone who is determined could probably make some impact on getting rid of it or making it work better. It won't be changed this year unless something amazing and unexpected happens. Nothing is impossible but I don't expect to have much extra time myself to work on this with higher priorities around.

They will have to follow the law like everyone else during this event. They should be well aware of it. There are a number of ways to effectively fish a 'drop shot' while still meeting the letter of the law too though the variety of fishing available on Muskegon Lake will mean you can expect quite a few interesting approaches to catching more and bigger bass from the lake! My opinion, anyway.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: Kal-Kevin on May 07, 2013, 09:44:29 PM
     First it was not KVD that came up with the idea for Muskegon Lake, it was Zona that made it  happen. As the story went they where having a meeting on what lakes to do for the all-star events this year. Well Zona was joking around and said instead of that lake that we do not want to go to lets do it on Muskegon lake up in Michigan. They asked him if he knew some contact up here who can help out, which he does, and they said lets do it! When Dan get here he can fill you in on the whole story since he most likely recorded.

Mark also said he will be there doing a show, and he asked us all to show up. He want to show that Michigan is the state they should do more tournaments at.

And yes I plan to be there, I too have, or he will kick my behind!

I'M WITH ZONA on his plans and ideas!!! He could be Michigan's fishing ambassador!! I may call him that next time I see him somewhere!

Give the credit for making this event a possibility to Z! He and KVD often have some friendly 'competition' going on about who comes up with what idea first or the way it ends up. Pretty entertaining actually... and you can get a different story when you are only with the one or the other!?! ;D

But for this particular gem, Z suggested it to Jerry McKinnis and told Jerry, yeah, they'll catch 'em! And it went from there. Every time any of you see Z - you tell him thanks for helping Michigan get, not one, but TWO Bassmaster Elite level events in 1 year!!! Z Fishing Ambassador!

I did record Z at D&R. I've hesitated to edit it - he embarrassed me real good (it was a good kind of embarrassment - just has me thinking about the reception?). Z makes lots of things happen, and then spreads the credit around. He's a nice, nice guy. I will get the video up before too long because he also made a plea for all of you to be there BIG TIME!

Why? Because we want more! There's ideas but we have to make the locals want the events, and help B.A.S.S. want to come back over and over. It's good for all of us in many ways, which is why I will help however I can. Having both Mark Zona AND KVD in Michigan is pretty big for the future of bass fishing in our Great Lakes state. I'm excited to see where we can go from here.

djkimmel

I may have said this before, but in case you missed it, getting the first Elite Series on St. Clair was the key to open many doors. Z was big behind that. I have no doubt that Kevin VanDam had influence but as an angler in the event he may have to be a little careful about influencing lake choice where Zona doesn't have to.

But, last year's KVD Charity Classic on Kent Lake did put us over the bump on St. Clair because the Metropark was so excited about the positive press they received after that event in June 2012 that they pushed on the coalition over there on St. Clair to make this happen! Things went much smoother and quick after that! So they are both great Michigan bass fishing ambassadors!

It doesn't hurt to have Kim Stricker in Michigan either because Hook 'n Look is having quite an impact in many additional ways on the way people, not just in Michigan, think about bass and bass fishing. This stuff all adds up to more people, especially influential people, wanting to be involved in more bass fishing and this bass tournament stuff. I actually had a district rep for one of Congresspersons hunt me down at a meeting because he wants to be at these events! Bill Parker of Michigan Outdoor News was kind enough to mention my name and then point me out. I hear that some good stuff is likely to come out of hooking them up with B.A.S.S.

This is what we call greasing the skids. It's about time some of this stuff got a little easier... :) (don't take this to mean the challenges are all gone - just headed in the right direction).

Waterfoul

Well cool Dan.  Now for open all year bass fishing in Michigan!!!   ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

gmetime24

It's very cool to hear about these guys pushing for events in Michigan and actually making it happen. Can't wait to see more of this in the future!

djkimmel

I'm glad you agree. Tell everyone you know to come on down to either or both events! A big turnout will help everyone involved make future decisions!

Kal-Kevin

Quote from: djkimmel on May 08, 2013, 12:08:04 AMI did record Z at D&R. I've hesitated to edit it - he embarrassed me real good (it was a good kind of embarrassment - just has me thinking about the reception?).
You should not be embarrassed Dan, the more I learn what you have done for all us bass fishermen and ladies you should get more praise. I'm just glad to have had the chance to shake your hand and get to know you some this summer.

djkimmel

Thank you for that. I'm blushing again... :)

STEELERBOY29

I have a friend that works for the city in the Whitehall/Montague area and he e-mailed me some information he had regarding the Tournament.  I think everyone knows the first part, but the second part where the "final four" fish White Lake only on Sunday is something that I've only heard from my "inside source".  Don't know if it's true or not.  Just what I heard through the grapevine.

"Just a quick note to let you both know that the Bassmaster Elite Series Toyota Truck All Star Tournament, September 27 – 29,  will be using White Lake as one of its fishing locations.

Both Muskegon Lake and White Lake will be used for the tournament, and the 14 top anglers in the U.S. will practice Thursday, September 26 on White Lake, and the "final four," or the Best of the Best, will fish Sunday on White Lake only to wrap up the tourney."

djkimmel

That was the original plan, and I've heard nothing yet to say it will be different.