Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 15, 2024, 06:23:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

What do you want to improve in 2013

Started by Schoolycustom, March 02, 2013, 06:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mcfish

Last year I worked on improving my jig techniques.  This year it's gonna be swim baits.  Much like frogging, I tend to swing a bit early on the strike. 

huston

I see electronics is a big item. we as an organization should try and arrange an in debt, hands on seminar on what ever brands we have. Again, last year, I attended the one at D&R and it was informative but not that in debt.I have HB gear and that 898 can do a lot if you take the time and know how to use it. From casting rings to adjusting the SI, HB has got it going on. You don't have time to fish if you play with that  for one day.

YpsiBass

Quote from: huston on March 04, 2013, 08:34:57 AM
I see electronics is a big item. we as an organization should try and arrange an in debt, hands on seminar on what ever brands we have. Again, last year, I attended the one at D&R and it was informative but not that in debt.I have HB gear and that 898 can do a lot if you take the time and know how to use it. From casting rings to adjusting the SI, HB has got it going on. You don't have time to fish if you play with that  for one day.

I think a lot of us are in debt which is what got us into trouble to begin with.

Lightningboy

1) Try to follow the fish more.  On lakes I'm familiar with, I tend to fish where they were at that time last year.  I'm making a serious effort to follow them across the season.

2) Make sure I have a better spread of baits tied on.  I need to be better at knowing when to throw a spinner bait vs. a shallow crank, etc.

3) Change my line more often.  Not that I don't change it often, but to vary my line size/type for different parts of the season.  Thinner line for deeper cranking, thicker for traps, etc.

But mostly get my but out on the water more often to prefish.

motocross269

Quote from: YpsiBass on March 04, 2013, 09:51:54 AM

I think a lot of us are in debt which is what got us into trouble to begin with.

In debt from buying Electronics.... :D ;)

YpsiBass

Quote from: motocross269 on March 04, 2013, 11:53:31 AM
Quote from: YpsiBass on March 04, 2013, 09:51:54 AM

In debt from buying Electronics.... :D ;)

Finally an in depth analysis!

bob o

jigs, docks w/bullet craws, dropshot. all in all just more fishing time. although i just found out our street is getting totally ripped out and repaved, i got to call livonis for more info on use of the street during construction ::)

bob o

Quote from: Mojo on March 04, 2013, 05:49:43 PM
I want to become a better rapper ......

Little Mrs Muffion sat in a Champion
  Draggin a tube when she felt a twitch -

Along came a spider who sat down beside her and said,
  "Man you missed that fish  B---- "  :o

rangers are red basscats are blue you $uck at this too

Mojo

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Jmcfarland

Above:  Oh snap dogg!!! :o       Like what you guys said about the more mental side of fishing. When to move, where to look, when to throw what. That's not something I wrote in my first post but definitely something I can work on.

bassmandan

"dont stop keep fishing"

Skulley

I'm going to find some new spots and learn to catch fish off of them on as many different techniques as I can.  I did that for much of 2012.  I didn't fish as many days in 2012 but did find new spots and spent time figuring them out on many different trips that I did make.  I want to find more river largemouths in the St. Clair and Detroit Rivers.  This is a virtually untapped resource and what I've already learned is nothing less than amazing.............at least in my mind.  Pictures on my Facebook Timeline will show you what I've already found in last two seasons.  There are many more areas to tap and I know I have just hit the tip of the iceberg.  I am excited about it. Of course there is always something to learn about smallies and how they live.  I learned lots of stuff last year up the St. Clair River when it got really hot through July and August and I plan on expanding on that this year.  Most importantly, I want to make the most of my time out on the water.  In other words, I'm going to try to make good decisions pertaining to how long do I stay or not stay in one area.  Most anglers struggle with this.  All your life you can be should have, would have, could have, and how do you know that you should have stayed or should have left.  How about coming back to areas.  If you didn't get anything there two hours ago why would you come back.  How about four hours ago.  Would you go back.  But then you can always ask yourself about moving forward and not going back.  How about just going fishing.  I tend to do this more and then I don't psych myself out.  So many times I see anglers second guessing themselves and psyching themselves out.  Keeping an open mind is key.  You can't dissect an area if you don't keep an open mind.  Practice that.  Keeping an open mind.  It's probably the toughest thing to do.  After all, we're only human........... 

Only 48 more days until catch and release.  See you there!!!!    8)

BD                                    ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

t-bone

I'm working on my physical endurance and stamina. I find that by noon in a tournament, my body is pretty tired and then I mentally start to check out. The last couple hours tend to be a grind and I don't really think about adjustments I should be making. Weight lifting and walking and cardio this winter.
Going to become better at cranking and jigging this year. Caught my biggest tournament fish on them last year but still not feeling confident with them. I always fall back to dropshots and senkos to quickly....
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

gmetime24

I like that idea of staying in good shape and working on your endurance. Some people don't realize what a grind it can be on a long tournament day. It's just as important to have your body feeling good so you can stay focused until the end of the day

Trux

I need to get better when the water is colder. I struggle most at the beginning and the end of the season.

6 lb Smallmouth

Quote from: gmetime24 on March 08, 2013, 09:21:21 AM
I like that idea of staying in good shape and working on your endurance. Some people don't realize what a grind it can be on a long tournament day. It's just as important to have your body feeling good so you can stay focused until the end of the day

Nutrition helps with this as well.  I have to force myself to eat and take it fluids (besides coffee).  I also found that getting to sleep EARLY is the best.  Getting back to the hotel and getting in a good meal and being in bed by 8:30 was the key for me.  And no beer either- that can wait till I get back home.  I'd wake up at 3:30-4:00 AM and feel awesome while the other guys who stayed up drinking till 10-11 PM would have a hard time getting started.  LOL- it took me a year or so to figure this out. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Frank

I thought speedway was the preferred breakfast of tournament fishermen

Mojo

Quote from: Frank on March 09, 2013, 01:31:28 PM

Mojo 'likes' this quote.  Facebook is having  weird societal impacts. 

bob o

Quote from: Mojo on March 10, 2013, 12:41:51 PM
Quote from: Frank on March 09, 2013, 01:31:28 PM

Mojo 'likes' this quote.  Facebook is having  weird societal impacts. 

what do you mean the fire place looks great every time you post it? hahahaha no really it does

put a new fulton winch on the trailer today, look great and did some clean up work on the basscat and it's looking good, we just need some soft water

Mojo

Shhhhhh those are my domestic bliss chips. The more I get done this winter, the more I collect, the more I can fish lol.

So far she thinks I've completed 3 fireplaces...... Yuck yuck