Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 08:11:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Megabass 110's

Started by Manxfishing, February 03, 2013, 11:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manxfishing

Any one fish the Megebass 110's?

For Jerk baits i have rouges, bombers and pointers
And the rouges have worked the best so far

But I'm thinking about picking up a couple of the Megabass 110's, The reviews on the web are
there above and beyound any other jerk bait

bigjc

I am with ya.  I am a fan of pointers and still use rogues occasionally, but I keep looking at the megabass jerks.

Lightningboy

I've fished them for a few years now, great baits.  I like to throw it on 12# fluoro.

The moving weight system works well, but you need to get used to it.  When you pull it out of the water at the end of a cast, pause for a second with the bait tail down to allow the ball to roll back.  Throws like a rocket then.

The hooks are light wire, so be careful not to bend them when unhooking a bass.  But they are super sticky; the bait is a great hooker.  Beware that changing out the hooks will change the balance of the bait.

I like them best for spring/fall cold water.  It's a little more subtle bait than other jerks.  I find it works best with a slightly softer "pop" than other jerks.  But it will swing wide when you do it right.

For clear/stained water I like the tennesse shad; although it's such a pretty bait, I almost hate to get it wet.  For stained/dirty water, cream back with the orange belly.

One late September evening at Belleville, I used it to drill 17 smallies in 45 minutes, one on at least every other cast.  It can be a killer when you fish it right.

Now please don't ask about the 200XT...that one's hush hush.   ;)

Waterfoul

Too bad they are so pricey.  But if you search around you can usually find deals on them. 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

YpsiBass

These are my go to jerkbait and have been for years.  I have a few others, but these tend to produce the most fish for me.

Manxfishing

Nice

If you don't mind. What colors do you like? PM me if you don't what to post it

Thanx,

bigjc

How about Jackall jerkbaits?  The are a bit cheaper.  Anybody using them?

t-bone

I use them and love them. They cast like a bullet with their weight transfer system, suspend great and are easy to work. They come out with different versions in the last 2 years but the originals have been my go to jerkbait in the spring and fall.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

YpsiBass

Quote from: bigjc on February 03, 2013, 05:50:45 PM
How about Jackall jerkbaits?  The are a bit cheaper.  Anybody using them?

I use the squad minnow.  If I'm not getting hits on the 110s then I switch to those.  They run a bit deeper too.  I like how when you stop jerking them, they just sit there.  

As for colors in 110s, I only have 3.  I only use 2 of them usually and for whatever reason, the colors I have them in I don't think they make anymore.  Have a silver with a chartreuse back and then one that silvery-green.  I have a gold with black back that I haven't had a lot of luck on.

dartag

KVD was on this weekend using his slash jerk bait on stclair.  Anyone use them.  He says they are great. ;D

Manxfishing

Quote from: dartag on February 04, 2013, 12:42:04 PM
KVD was on this weekend using his slash jerk bait on stclair.  Anyone use them.  He says they are great. ;D

I did buy 2, never worked for me
remember he also won a classic with a Smithwick Rouge over the SK in 05

Lightningboy

Can't say I've caught anything on the KVD bait.  But I will admit I haven't thrown it much.

I've never had great success with the Rogue either.

My go to jerks are the 110, LC pointers, LC flashminnows, and the LC staysee.

Big dreams

Has anyone tried using the Megabass top poppers yet?  Expensive but they "seem" legit. 

LennyB

I catch a lot of bass on jerkbaits but not all the time. One time that stands out to me is the first hard warm-up right after the ice melts is a good time. There's usually a strong movement to the shallow protected bays while the suns beating down causing the water in those areas to warm sometimes 10 or more degrees. Just a slow twitch with long pause is usually what they want then.

Lightningboy

Interesting question about the MB topwaters.  I haven't tried any myself, but am interested.

I have a few MB baits, jerks & cranks, like the griffons, or the bait-x, or the 200 xt.  All are great baits, in the right situation.

MB baits are different than other companies.  Yuki Ito, president & founder of the company, takes a different view of baits than others do.  Megabass is about looking at how a baitfish makes a certain movement, and attempting to copy that movement.  A good example is the flap slap.  Have you ever seen the swirl left by a fish when it eats bait near the surface?  The flap slap is intended to duplicate that movement.

Some Megabass baits are fairly universal in their appeal, like the 110.  Others are highly specific in their actions.  They kinda require a little bit of homework to see which situation they excell in.

To me, MB epitomizes the purest pursiut of bass.  I admire Japanese bass fishermen because they tie spiritualism & honor in the pursuit of their prey.  They fish a handful of highly pressured, clear water lakes.  To catch bass, they have to outsmart whatever everybody else is throwing.  Hence the drop shot & wacky jigs.

Megabass is about "what can we make happen", with a "cost be darned" attitude.  Add in a real care about quality, and you're talking about "how they used to make 'em" baits.

They're an experiment; a grab couple an have fun.

YpsiBass

I had a japanese lure problem a few years back and spent a ridiculous amount of money on a few lures.  I've owned half a dozen Megabass Pop-X and Pop-Max.  I like them a lot, but I've found their use situational.  They're not good for those fast stop and pop actions.  They're best when you're slow popping.  The tie on them is really high on the top lip so you can get them to spit a good distance and they have a really realistic, distinct sound because of the water intake slots.  I've  only found two downsides with them (other than price). One is that they tend to foul the hooks on your line more often and the other is that they're pretty much useless in rougher water.  Great on still water or light wind though.

Big dreams

Do any of the local box stores carry them?  Before spending $25 on one lure, I would like to atleast touch it.  I just search BPS website and do not see it online there...

BNL

Mike's Rx Baits carries Megabass baits. At the Novi show he had a Pop Max color I had been looking for. You could contact Mike or stop by his store if you wanted to check them out before purchasing.

I really like the pop max because I like using a bigger profile popper. Great action and great finishes.

The 110s are my go to jerkbait. Good for numbers for me year round and caught my biggest bass of 2012 on a gill color. Lots of info out on the web about top colors. It really can be quite confusing choosing colors, so it takes some research before jumping in. 

YpsiBass

Quote from: Big dreams on February 05, 2013, 06:07:35 AM
Do any of the local box stores carry them?  Before spending $25 on one lure, I would like to atleast touch it.  I just search BPS website and do not see it online there...

I'm sure someone would have one on hand at the swap meet, though maybe not to trade or sell lol.

Lightningboy

For anybody that wants to take a neat tour of Japanese baits:

www.ichibantackle.com

It's a pretty interesting place to window shop.   I like seeing how Japanese designs differ from the U.S.

I've bought from them before too, very reliable. 

BD, just go for it, you'll love the 110.  Just stay away from the pike. ;D