Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:49:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

good fish finder + gps!!!??

Started by cool fisher, January 01, 2013, 05:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Need a good finder+gps in range 1000$ +/-200$

fish finders
0 (0%)
recommend a fish finder
0 (0%)
fish finder + gps
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: January 11, 2013, 05:31:58 PM

cool fisher

Hey guys, recommend me a good finder+gps, i had a lowerence bud it went out just the finder, wanna upgrade to something better, i do a lot of fishing in SC lakes fresh water, (if any one from here answers)
something in a range of 1000-1200$.... thanks a lot!!

Mike S.

You can get a Humminbird 798c HD side imaging combo for about $1, 050. That's on the Humminbird website. You could also get the 858c down imaging combo through them for about $950. That one has a bigger screen and down imaging, but no side imaging. Plus they both read map cards which are a very nice tool to have. I have the 858c on the bow of my boat. I didn't buy the down imaging one. It's a nice unit. Get the biggest one you can afford. The bigger the display, the easier to read. I like my Humminbird's.

Look around. You can probanly get better prices than the ones on the HB site. I know I sure did. Ebay is the ticket.

bigjc

I have been a lowrance guy for years, but I am slowly but surely switching to H/B.  I would say in that price range, the 898c si would be the way to go.  It is the unit I am hoping to upgrade to this spring

Mike S.

The only reason I didn't list that one was price. The $1499 list was a little higher than his $1200. But, the side imaging is awesome. It would definitely be worth saving for a little bit longer for a SI unit with a larger screen. Trust me, I saved for an 1197 csi two years ago and it is the ultimate. It even gives me something else to hide behind when running across the lake.

markgoetsch

I saw 998 si's going for 1400 online before christmas.

Lightningboy

Depends on a what you want to do with it.  Is it for the dash, or the bow?  How much room do you have to mount it?

I use Lowrance, but there's a lot of good units out there for around a thousand.  Buy what you like & fits your budget, but a few suggestions are:

Get the biggest screen you can.

GPS with on screen map is incredible.  Even if you don't fish large waters.  Makes finding that boat ramp in the dark a breeze.

Side imaging will change how you fish.  Being able to really see objects under water and mark them will change how you aproach a spot to fish it.

Stop at BP, Cabelas, etc. and kick some tires.  You'll narrow it down easy.

Check out reconditioned units.  You can sometimes pick them up for a great deal.

Bigjc- I was OK with knowing you even though there's no black motor on the back of your rig, but now you're gonna become a 'bird man too?  Man, the world is just going down the tubes... ;D

motocross269

I like features of both HB and Lowrance...I think Lowrance has the best 2d sonar...

I fish HBs now and just sent a couple of units in for work....HB Service was awesome..They have came a long way....

Lightningboy

HB!

No, Lowrance!

Chevy/Ford, Ranger vs. Triton, etc.

It's hard to buy a bad unit now days.  Only reason I prefer Lowrance is like moto, I don't like the look of HB down sonar.  But I also don't like the screen switching speed on my HD's.

Really, go take a good look at both, and see what you can get a deal on.

Waterfoul

Several of you have said you don't like the looks of the HB down imaging?  Not sure what you are refering to.  I have both units on display here at the store and if you put them both on down imaging, and in the same color pallet I really don't see a difference.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bigjc

Ken,

At least my truck has a bow tie!

Lightningboy

Be happy to always give you that BigJC

Reality is your'e a man with standards that are tough to live up to.

That's a good thing.  Be a measure others should stand up to.   ;D

bigjc

Thanks Ken! See you on the water bro.