Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 03:33:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Coangler Tips for Pro-Am Draw Tournaments

Started by CuradoKev, December 18, 2006, 05:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBell

The bed fishing deal is tough with a co-angler.  If the co-angler is couteous and lets me fish my fish, I will take care of them later in the day if I can.  In team tournaments when bed fishing the biggest fish will usually be a cruiser from the back of the boat. 
-Matt

stackenem

I understand that bed fishing is trickey but the thing that got me was the running to the middle of the lake to rerig when I spotted a couple of fish on beds that he didn't even see. My self I would have let my co fish them while I rerigged especially if I allready had a good limit. At least give the co a chance to catch something after all I paid to fish and gave my gas money up front. The thing is he didn't even go back to those fish and fish them.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

fishon1219

Stackem,
Thanks Bill for the kind words. I always try and make sure who ever I am fishing with has a better day than I do. I really enjoy draw events and meeting new people and letting them know how much fun I can be to fish with. There is one young man that fished the ABA that will have a story of a liftime to tell all of his friends about being on his knees netting a fish for me. I cant get into details because this is a family board ;D
As A boater I find it always makes the day go by better if you communicate to you co-angler what is expected of them before you even get in the boat and so far I have never had a problem.
I will tell them one time that my boat is theres for the day. If you want to use anything that I have in the boat just grab it. If you want something to eat or drink it is in the cooler. Basicaly Help yourself when your in my boat and have a great day and when I ask you to rub my shoulders I expect at least a little rub :D
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

REEL_MAN

This has been an interesting thread. I've been a co-angler in the BFL for the past 5 years. In those 5 years I've only had one boater that I had to shut down going across St. Clair >:( He had already lost his GPS to the deep and continued to beat the boat as well as me. I don't know what his problem was but he did slow down and overall it was another great day on the water.
As a co-angler I've drawn some of the best: Steve Clapper, Brian Hensley, Don Roberts, Bill Cisler and many others.  They are great examples of top shelf fishermen and now friends.  Not only do they catch fish they tried to make sure that as a co-angler I caught fish. Sometimes I blanked and sometimes I beat them. But, the greatest thing I learned from them all was HAVE FUN. We worked hard to catch fish that's the goal.
One of the main things I can say to the other co-anglers is respect your  boater's spots. They worked hard for that special spot, so don't share it. I've learned alot of spots and that's as far as it will go, "learned". I will not use their spots unless I ask first. RUFUS can I fish your spot where you won? There I've asked;D.
Like many of the co-anglers I have had a boat (Ranger) and elected to go as a co-angler. You ask why?  Well, I think it was confidence. Over the years I learned to love the big water, along with respecting it. Things will be a lot different next year. Last year was the last time I will be co-angler, I'm moving from the back to the front. My son (SethV) says about time. If I'm lucky enough to draw any of you that are going as a co-angler I hope I can set as good as an example as the boaters I've had in the past. I'll work to put US on fish so we can hold our heads high.

Looking forward to next season

Merry CHRISTmas and Blessings to All

REEL MAN

rufus

I have been fishing the BFL for 3 years now and have had maybe 1 bad coangler as a partner in that time and I can't even look at that as being a horrible day. The fishing just stunk and I wasn't able to get him a keeper in the boat. I had some very bad boat problems in two of them a couple years ago and my coanglers were very good about it. I would not take any gas money from them. We were able to have a few fish both times so the days were not a total loss. I love the draw format and have made many good friends while fishing the BFL. I try to be as personable and open as possible, both guys will have a great day 99% of the time if the boater shows the coangler a little respect. I know what it feels like to ride in the passenger seat, too. Those rides on the big lakes can really beat the crap out of you, especially if you are in the passenger seat. I don't know why it hurts worse on that side of the boat, but the fact is, it does. I really take pride in getting to a spot without breaking something, both on my boat and on my body. I hear of guys who break things off of their boats all the time. When I get to my spot (after running 20-50 miles) it is really nice if everything still works on my boat. Your coangler will be much relieved as well if he sees that you are a good boat driver. My father-in-law drew two guys this year that told him up front they were throttle jockeys (in those words!). He took over a week to heal up from the rough rides each time. He is 65 years old, but is in super shape, so it was not a health issue at all. Both guys broke several different things on their boats and it really cut into the fishing time or severely hampered their ability to fish. What I am basically saying is take it easy out there. There is a better day to be had when no one is in pain and everything is working properly.
Thanks for the advice Kevin. That was a very good write-up. God Bless and Merry Christmas Everyone!

rufus

Dave (reel_man),
You may use that spot all you want. I picked the boulder up that used to be their and moved it out a bit ;D. I didn't like exactly where it was sitting. That big ole Triton didn't even flinch when I loaded that 50 ton boulder on it. There is now a big depression in that spot and I think the sheephead will love it. :D
rufus

Skip Johnson

Something I find helps the co angler relax feel organised and more comfortable is to have a full size storage compartment to put his tackle bag lunch and jacket into, I realy have a hard time keeping it open becouse I have alot of tackle in my boat full time and I realy need all the storage but it starts every tournament with both of you organized and un cluttered and a cluttered boat brings tension between anglers and netting fish.

I keep my 2 life jackets in the one box if he brings his own I throw the extra in my truck that morning and its all his box.
Go Big or Go Home!

fishon1219

Cast,
I agree with you on the cluttered boat thing. I cannot concintrate at all if my boat is a mess Right McCarter. A cluttererd up boat makes me crazy. I have to have every thing put away and out of the way. I always tell my coanglers this and so far every body has complied. Some people like a mess, I just hate it.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

gbaade

Kevin's list is something that should be posted on every fishing forum ever made.The biggest worry for me as I get into this draw format are the details. I think alot of people, and I know some, dont try out tourneys because of the fear of the unknowns. The fishing is the fun and easy part. If more people knew about these kinds of things people would be more drawn to it.

While I havent actually fished a draw tourney yet I think most of these things seem like common courtesy. Keep a guys boat clean, give gas money, ask if you dont know, and dont steal something a guy works hard for (locations). All lessons most people should of learned a long time ago. When I do fish my first draw tournament I will have no problem if the guys says something is off limits. It's no different than when someone buys a 50000 dollar Escalade and says no eating or drinking in it. As long as hes not a total jerk about it and says it upfront then its cool with me.

BigSmallie

Well....I just had to put in my 2 cents worth.

I've been non-boater and boater both.   I feel sorry for a lot of the non-boaters out there....because there is a TREMENDOUS amount of boaters that could use some serious help with manners....and especially........their EGO trips!   You know the type I'm talking about.......the guy that won't talk....bad boats you on purpose....won't tell you when he's ready to leave an area.....and  the list goes on...and on...and on.   But.....these are also the same boaters that consistently can't find fish!!   They get on this big power trip like their some big bad pro.......and they can't even find fish!  LMAO!  They just kill me.   

The one experience that jumps out at me was a Federation tournament on Elk & Torch I was in.  This boater.....told me before the tournament....that "he doesn't talk to his non-boater very much through out the day...and not to take it personally"   I thought.."that's fine.....BFD....I plan on fishing any way"   But then he went on to say....."I tend to talk to myself a lot during the day"   I thought........WTF??...........being "eccentric" is suppose to impress me??  NOT!

After some of the non-boater horrors I went through.......I have learned the same lessons as many of you listed in the above posts.....and now as a boater.....I would NEVER dream of putting the non-boater through what I went through.

I fish the tournament as a "team" event also, helping my non-boater get his limit.  The cream always rises to the top........you will constantly find that the really good fishermen....the ones that are always on fish.....always finish in the top.....are the boaters that treat their non-boaters with RESPECT.

As far as the scents, tobacco, drinks & whatever else........I used to let things like this bother me.   Then the boat got a scratch in it. LOL!     I USE my bass boat....period.   What ever it takes to get that big sack in the live well.....I'm all for it.  I treat each tournament as business.   I don't abuse my boat and I do take very good care of it........but I did purchase it so I could fish seriously and competitively.....and I know accidents do happen.   God knows that the non-boater feels TERRIBLE if he hits the cowl with his bait....spills something on the carpet....hooks the seat.   Why beat him into submission??    S$$t happens.

The main thing is to have fun with your non-boater!    If you did your homework....and your fish are still where you found them........you will both have a great day of fishing.....maybe even get a check......and.....the non-boat with think your the best thing since sliced bread!! 

Ok.....I'm done on my soap box  LOL!!  :D

"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

Roy Randolph

First let me say that most Co-Anglers that need to read these suggestions wont and never will and those that are here reading this don?t need to read it

Now onto ?The Co-Angler From Hell?

I draw an older gentleman that talked a good talk at the pre tournament meeting and had to tell me all about the tournaments he had cashed a check in. When I tried to offer up some intel on water, depth and bottom structure he tells me it?s Erie he didn?t need any intel, I knew right then this was going to be a fun day. He then tells me he will meet me at the launch and I don?t need to worry he will find me.

At the launch I wait till the last minute and I?m headed to find the director to tell him my co angler is MIA he pops up and exclaims that ?We are going to smack them today? not even acknowledging the fact that he is 40 minutes late. We rush to get in the water and manage to get out there and have about 3 minutes before they call our number during which time I realize his has a habit or repeating himself and ending each sentence with ?Know what I mean? Know what I mean? (might give away who he is) but 8 hours of this alone could drive a person crazy. So we blast off and head out and start running the 4 footers to the Islands he freaked out twice and asked once if we could turn around. Hadn?t speared one wave ?YET?

When we get there he tosses a line out and sets the rod down and starts to rig another rod while parking he face in the one compartment I gave him to use (couldn?t tell what he was doing, then he pulls his face up covered in chocolate asking me if I want some (WOW) his rod snags and he breaks off so he tosses the bait he just rigged out and lays the rod down and starts to rig another rod (Goes on like this all day) I got two in the boat and he still hasn?t held a rod in his hand yet, I try and tell him he needs to hold the rod in his hand to feel a bite, I?m told ?I have more time on this water then you have in a boat?

I hooked one that comes up and I thought it was a school and realized it is one monster smallmouth as I?m fighting the fish I hear all kinds of noise in the back of the boat I glance back to see him with the net in hand and two rods tangled in the net. Finally he gets the net free and jumps to the front deck and stumbles falls flat on his face and stuffs the net into my rod snagging an eyelet and yanks the net and rod causing the line to snap! He stands up and while I give him a look of disbelief, he says ?Guess you should have had that drag a little looser? and stumbles to the back deck. I informed him that I would be landing my own fish from now on.

The whole day he his telling me he can?t believe he hasn?t caught a keeper yet even though he hasn?t held the rod in his hand for more then 30 seconds (he?s to busy stuffing his face) Next we leave the islands (I got 4 in the box) and we head to the north shore to get out of the wind and waves due to the fact every time he stands up he falls right back down. As we are riding the waves back all of a sudden I see a pretzel stick in my face and I hear ?Want one? as we hit a wave and the pretzel stick goes up my nose! I had enough I yank the pretzel from my nose and speared the next couple of wave intentionally (Single Console) just to give him something to think about.

Once we get to the north shore the water is flat and calm he stands up, falls down and stands up again announcing as loud as he can ?I got to pee like a race horse? He walks to the back corner and starts to urinate on the side of my boat and down his leg, I?m floored at this point and can not believe what I?m seeing. He gets done zips up and starts to reach for a candy bar and I lose it screaming at him ?WTF are you doing, clean that up!? He looks around and I tell him there is a rag under his seat, he pulls the clean dry rag out gets on his knees and wipes the urine up and tosses the rag on the seat. I look at him and say ?You got to be kidding me? he has this dumb founded look on his face and says ?What?

I ended up culling three fish, lost one at the side of the boat trying to lift it instead of having a net man. He caught 20 fish and only one measured and didn?t understand why letting his bait drag all day didn?t get him a 30 pound limit.

Once back at the launch he had left all his candy crap in the dry box to melt away I told him to clean it up and I?ll get the weigh in bags I turn around and he?s gone. We hadn?t even weighed in yet. Twenty minute later he walks up and says ok let weigh in like it?s just another day, I asked where he had been he said ?I was watching my buddy weigh in? I told him we will weigh in after he cleans up his mess in the box, he grabs the rag he had wiped the urine up with and was going to use it to clean the box with, I grabbed his arm stuck my face about a quarter inch from his and told him if he wanted to live through this day he would use his own towel to clean it up.

After he spent 10 minutes and had done nothing but spread the mess around I told him to back off and cleaned it myself. We then went to the scales and while in line he had to tell anyone that would listen about the day he had loosing toads and missing monsters. He weighed in first and by the time I got back to the boat he had grabbed his gear and was gone and of course he stiffed me on gas money.

I finished 4 ounces out of the money either one of the two fish I had lost would have got me a check. I can only blame myself for the second one lost out of frustration. Add to this I?m cleaning melted chocolate out of the boat for a week.
Help a handicapped angler live his dream!

Skip Johnson

Roy thats a heck of a co angler story and Im sure you had one of the very rare  "horrible" co angler experiences, your story reminds me of the clip mark zona did on on B.A.S.S about co anglers cant remember the pro he was with but he was eating a messy sub sandwich spinning circles on the back seat talking to much and yanked off a fish when helping the pro so the pro decked him outa the boat.
Go Big or Go Home!

dartag

i think Kev did a great job of what a Co should do.  i started tourny fishing in the BFL as a co-angler.  had some bad days but most were great experiences. i now fish against many of the boaters i had in the past.   now as a boater i always try and make my co have a good a day as possible. 
i would suggest tourny directors copy Kevs guidelines and hand them out as a " suggestion " on what a co should do.. 

funny these long winded co-angler threads usually start when someone asks " how much should i pay my boater ". 

think spring
ss

djkimmel

Quote from: Roy Randolph on December 26, 2006, 12:33:57 AM
we hit a wave and the pretzel stick goes up my nose!

I'm awarding this sentence the "poster of the week" award ;D

Maybe it should be added to the co-angler article - don't stick pointed objects at the boaters face while he/she is driving...?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Roy Randolph

QuoteI'm awarding this sentence the "poster of the week" award

So what did I win?

I have had some great co anglers and yes as you can see a couple of bad ones and I also have heard some bad boater stories as well it all comes down to are you a good person? if so there shouldn't be a problem.
Help a handicapped angler live his dream!

Hooksetter

I guess I have been lucky. I have only fished in 4 tournaments as a co-angler and I have drawn friendly, knowledgable boaters each time. The first thing I discuss with them after meeting them is money. I don't want them to be wondering all day if and when they should bring it up, will I bring it up or wondering if they are going to be stiffed or shortchanged. That way we can both concentrate on fishing.

I also ask them what they expect from me while we are fishing, such as netting the fish, keeping tabs on them in the live well and all the other dos and don'ts they might have concerning their boat.

I bring one tackle bag only and 4-6 rods, I ask up front if 6 is ok and if it isn't I will leave some in my truck.

I bring a rain suit and a life vest.

I bring my own drinks and a light snack, enough for two.

I guess the biggest thing is to act the way you would want someone to act in your boat.

Like I said up front I have drawn guys that have made it fun to fish as a co-angler. They all told me upfront that we were going to fish more as a team than angler vs angler and that made all the difference in the world. I felt at ease right away and it is always more fun when you are comfortable in your surroundings.

Willie

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

canvsbk

Roy, that's a good one! ;D ;D I especialy like the wave spearing part.
Hope you all had a great holiday!
Look past what they want you to see.

djkimmel

Roy - you win the "poster of the week" sentence award...

which is basically me pointing out that you are the "poster of the week"... ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

McCarter

Hey Roy,

If you want, i can print it out and frame it for you.  Its the least i can do to repay you for the 'PoorBoys first boat' post!

;)

McCarter himself :-\'

BigSmallie

Hey Roy,

Did you think you were on "Candid Camera" !!  LMAO!!   Just when you think he can't do anything dumber ???...........he goes and proves you wrong!!  LOL!  :o

WOW.....is all I can say about that non-boater!   I know they're out there!  Sorry for your day!
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"