Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:02:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

new rods?

Started by karol, December 10, 2012, 05:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karol

hey guys, besides the c-10 rod what would you recommend for throwing swim jigs and also crankbaits. and the spinning rod for tube-grubs?

djkimmel

C09 is a slightly lighter version of the C10 - same length at 7 ft. I really like that rod too. I have used it for swim jigs, pitching Texas-rigged worms, small to medium creature baits, small to medium jigs - light and sensitive. Not quite the backbone for heavier stuff but the C10 can cover that real well.

For crankbaits, I have used the C09 too and it works well for that but I like a longer rod at times and started trying out the C076M this year. I really like it. 7 1/2 foot. Softer than the C10. Maybe a little softer than the C09 but close. Nice crankbait action blank but the additional lightness and sensitivity of graphic. The above are all All American Pro Series.

I only have one 7 1/2 spinning rod so far (the other Grandt spinning rods I have are 6 1/2 ft or less and I use them for jerkbaits, wacky riggin' and similar most of the time because I like the longer rods for tubes, grubs, etc).

Dave Wagensomer gave 7 1/2 ft spinning rod to me. It is a higher end XLH70 series. I use it for tubes, drop shot, Neko rig, things like that. I hope to get another spinning rod for this next season to try out for tubes and such since I usually have lighter rigs on the XLH70.

I will probably try a Grandt Rods All American Pro Series 076ML or 076M spinning rod for 2013 if I get the chance.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

WillyC

It all depends on what weight swim jig you are throwing?  The C9 would be an all around versatile rod also.  The Stealth or the PAYARA series in 7' medium would be a better option.  For cranking, the All American C15 is a great rod!  Other choices are the E- Glass series, the Stealth or the PAYARA series.  The E-Glass are a little bit heavier; but, much more forgiving.  The Stealth with the 78 million modulus will feel a little bit stiffer.  The PAYARA with the high hoop strength is super light weight and lighter action.  So, depends on personel preference somewhat and the weight of bait you will throw?
For spinning and tubes, I personally prefer the Stealth or PAYARA.  I use the 6'6" med light in the Stealth and 6'6" medium in the PAYARA. The handle is a little shorter on the 6'6" compared to the 7' rod, so you only lose a couple inches.  The XLH70 series are great also.
Grandt Rods will be in Grand Rapids in March at the Sprot, RV, and Fishing Show if you would like to compare them all; and, you will save some $$$ in Show prices!!

BrianB

It does depend on the size of the Swim Bait and the Crank Baits. I use the Glass rod from Grandt both Medium and Medium Heavy . If have to go to a heavier or deeper Cranks I have a XLH70 Medium Heavy 7'-0 with the Reserve Power. The Reserve Power take the fatigue out of throwing a big bait all day.
   As for throwing Tube and Grubs. The Stealth 6'6" of the 7' Medium lite is what I throw. Plenty of tip but give me the power to set the hook on the Fish.

djkimmel

I have not checked out the C15 yet. Slipped under my radar because of the model number. I have a C14, or maybe it is a C17, and that is more like a musky rod (which is what I bought it for). I'll have to take a look at that one at the Grandt Rods display during the Ultimate Sport Show Grand Rapids.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.