Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:59:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Blue Water LED Lights.... Anybody?

Started by grneyemonstr, December 10, 2012, 03:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grneyemonstr

Anybody install these on their boat?  Looking to get some. hoping for some reviews.

motocross269

I haven't installed any but have heard some good things about their product and Service..

Cy

FireFighterJeff has some on his boat.  They look sweet!  He put them on for this front nav lights and some in the cockpit.  You will have to ask him how the install went but he said it was easy.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Waterfoul

While I didn't use Blue Water branded LED's, this past spring I replaced all my interior lights with LED's and love them!  Brighter and use a LOT less energy.

I do like what Jeff did with his navigation lights.  Pretty cool.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Redbone

Waterfoul

Quote from: Redbone on December 11, 2012, 01:27:32 PM
Are they in the rub rail?

Yup, he cut out a small section, wired it thru the hull, and inserted the lights.  Nice and clean.  The only thing I noticed is that he may have not put them far enough forward.  But that's something only the sheriff or coasties might have an issue with.  To meet regs I'd say they would have to be about 2' from the bow peak, no further.  Any further back and they might not meet the forward visibilty standards.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Firefighter Jeff

Thanks for the nice comments guys.  Waterfoul these are in no way legal. From all that I have researched there is a set of lights you can buy that are a self contained fixture that fits over the rubrail that contains a single LED light. ( $100 for a set )  Those are the only thing that are Coast Guard approved.  However I have heard of multiple guys that have either asked DNR/Coast Guard officers about the lights and they all liked them. Thought they were brighter than the standard lights that come with the boats and didn't see any problem with using them for navigation lights. Some have even gotten the inspection sticker with the LED lights in the rubrail. Now there's always a chance you get a," By the book", power hungry officer that may give you static.
   I'm not on the water very often where I need to use the lights. I just think they look really cool.   LOLOLOL   But I do still have the original light post I can put in if someone questions me on it.
   So far as the placement of my lights, I stuck the light post in and tried to get the angles of view to see the lights.  I used that to try and guesstimate where to place my LED's. The Coast Guard has very intricate guidelines for navigation lights and at what angles and distances they need to be seen.  After reading about it, I decided eyeballing them would be just fine.  LOLOLOL
    I purchased my lights from Bluewater for a few reasons.  First they are American made.  Bluewater provides great service.  I had my order from Florida in just a few days.  They have a lifetime warranty and stand behind their products.  You can purchase lights that are less expensive, no doubt.  Some real inexpensive ones have very small gauge, almost angle hair like, wiring and I'd stay away from them.

Here's a pic of the navigation lights.

I also put a couple strips of lights under my consoles.  Here are a couple picks.

I plan on buying some more white strips and replacing the existing lights in my front compartments.  The LED's are so much brighter !!   :)

grneyemonstr

Boat looks good Jeff.  I was planning on going with the total boat package in green.  Did you install yourself?  I plan on doing my own install. Did you have to cut the rub rail to put the nav lights in or do they go over the rail.  I was also considering the light package for outside the boat.

Waterfoul

I did my cockpit lights in red because it is the least disturbing to your night vision.

motocross269

Firefighter Jeff

Thanks Brian.

Mike, if I had to do it all over again I might put white under the cockpit.  Only reason is because it is sooooo blue.  The ones I did install aren't a detriment for seeing, as far as I could tell.

Grney,  Yes I installed them myself.  For the navigation lights I pulled out a small section of rubrail just to see how the insert was shaped. I pushed it back in, then measured the light strip and drew it out on my rubrail.  I then used a utility knife to cut it out.  I made sure not to make it too big because I wanted the strip to fit in there tight. I then drilled a small hole for the wiring, through the hull. I did a practice install to make sure it would fit.  The strips come with 3m adhesive on the back.  That's all I used to attach.  They have no weight what so ever and feel it will be fine as is.  I have heard of some guys using black silicone but I was worried about it possibly squeezing out over the light strip when installing. The wires on the LED strips were long enough to run up to the front of the boat where there was an inline plug for the old navigation light.  I just pulled the plug apart, put my LED wires in the female end and shoved the plug back together.  Then wrapped with electrical tape.  A lot of guys say they solder the connections then shrink wrap them to keep moisture from corroding.
   For the cockpit I just found a flat surface underneath and stuck them on.  I wanted to tie these lights in with my navigation lights but I couldn't find the right wiring. That, and I wasn't sure how to run wire from the passenger console to the driver's side. So, I found wiring that went to my compartment lights and used them.

Here is another picture.  Took it with my phone so not the greatest.

Lightningboy

I've got to give my trailer a face lift next spring.  I'm planning on all new LED lights, but I'm also tempted to add the under trailer lights BW sells as a kit. 

These lights shine down on the roadway under the trailer, kinda like the ricers do with neons.  I was planning on amber, one of the legal side marker colors.  Yeah, my primary goal is to look cool; like the trailer is "floating" on a bed of amber light.  But I also think it's a good added safety feature to keep the trailer visible at night.  I've had too many close calls with a black truck & a black cover on the boat after dark.

Can anybody comment on the legality of this idea? 

Waterfoul

Legally you cannot use blue lights on the exterior of a vehicle.  That is the only thing I am aware of.

I like the idea of some extra lighting on my trailer.  Since my boat is in a building (heated!) with a 5 ton overhead hoist, my boat may be coming OFF the trailer this winter for some trailer maintenance... lights would be an easy addition.

huston

What a great idea, I purchased 6 or seven  of the white  led lights also. I plan on installing them in my rod lockers and other compartments. Walmart sells them for about ten bucks by shoreline. I picked some by seasence up online for about $6.50. I didn't putthe boat in the garage this year, got a great price on a storage unit, so i'll have to wait for good weather to install.

dartag

Someone on my lake has a pontoon with blue strip all the way around the side.  Looks like a spaceship at night. 

BSB

I just installed Bluewater's Front Deck Kit, 18" strips on my boat. I went with white just for more light in dawn or dusk. Very good quality and pleased with them. Install was easy, but I have a hole in the center of my front deck from a recessed trolling motor tray I put in last year. So getting underneath to run wires was easy. I had an empty accessory switch on my dash that I powered them from. Next year I plan on adding another set to the front and a set on the back deck.

mikesmiph

Let me know if you want Blue Water specifically. I have a friend who is a rep.

thedude

check ebay. you can get controllers and cutable strips of waterproof lights much cheaper than bluewater. same stuff. most of them will do multiple colors in the same strip.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods