Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:06:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bigger bass tournaments coming to Michigan

Started by Crankinsmallies, October 31, 2012, 01:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crankinsmallies

What would be your thoughts on a tournament series coming to michigan that offered a $10,000 first place prize at each tournament based on 50 boats. This would be 90% payout at each tournament. Would you fish it even is you had to pay $250 per team each tournament which includes big bass. The payouts would go up if there were over 50 boats, plus sponsor incentives. Would you fish it or not. Just brain storming at this point, ideas welcome.

Waterfoul

It would have to be a reputable organization to get me to drop that kind of cash. 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

dartag

Is this a winner take all event??.  with the entry and number of boats at 90% pay out plus big bass there is not a lot left over. 

Crankinsmallies

Not a winner take all event.  The pay structure will have to change a little depending on the number of boats. $10,000 for first was just an example of what it could be.  The hope and life of this series will depend on sponsor contributions.  We would like to make it similar to Bass Champs or Texas team trails format. 

PineLk 49

markgoetsch

Frank

Waterfoul

Quote from: Frank on November 01, 2012, 03:22:41 PM
I would fish it if it's inland for sure

At 50 boats I'd think some would have to be lakeshore lakes like St. Clair, Muskegon, etc.  Burt/Mullet, Cadilac/Mitchell, and Wixom/Sanford might be options too.  At most places it comes down to parking 50 rigs, not whether or not the lake is big enough to accomodate 50 boats.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Frank

there are a few others.  Cass, Kent, Cadillac/Mitchell

Here is what I would really like to see.  More of a league format, but with built in forgiveness for missed dates.  Say 15 weeks, but only your top 13 count.  This gives you the abillity to take a Summer vacation.  Maybe four man teams, but only two people fish each week.  This, in essence, would give you subs that you could use as often as needed.  I lost the ability to go to the NBAA championship this year due to a 2 week vacation, a sick day, and my daughter/partner is in school the first week.  you could pay per position at the end of the year, and you could have weekly payouts as well.

djkimmel

I don't think it would have very many events for that entry fee? That's not really much of an entry fee for $10,000 though really. Even if you're talking individual's tournament instead of team?

Our season is short and packed but not too many events are drawing a ton of boats consistently. 50 is doable if the reputation and backing are sterling enough to pull people away from all the other events already going on, and if you can convince more than 20 or 30 boats that they have a pretty good chance to win too, or at least qualify or get a shot at other valuable prizes.

Check out NABC to see what they've been drawing since they started. Their entry fee is a lot higher and their payout not quite as much. They haven't drawn quite enough boats. They were going to include Michigan more I thought but their core is pretty much Wisconsin and Minnesota for now. I'm assuming you were thinking team tournament but not sure if that is what you meant?

Those are a few of the hard parts. It would also help if you can lower gas prices...? :) Another challenging part.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Braidman

I like what I'm reading folks, this area is way over due for a series of this nature, we have some of the best bass fishing in the country and at the same time we are way behind in the opportunities to fish for some serious coin. I would rather invest $750 with a buddy for a three event series and fish for $10,000 vs. $550 for a five event series where 1st is going to pay $1200-$2000 .Keep it simple and honest and the boats will come. BEST OF LUCK!

Waterfoul

Maybe we could attract some of these larger tournaments if we could change the BASS SEASON!!!!!  Spring is the second best time to fish in Michigan... with now being the best time!

djkimmel

Quote from: Waterfoul on November 02, 2012, 07:57:28 AM
Maybe we could attract some of these larger tournaments if we could change the BASS SEASON!!!!!  Spring is the second best time to fish in Michigan... with now being the best time!

Get to work changing some attitudes in your spare time... It wouldn't take much more after that.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

acummins

i think something like the Alabama bass trail would be great for Michigan. Will bring in Money for the city and lake that is hosting. So would help economy. Think there entry is $250 as well.

bigjc

I highly doubt it would work here!  Team event or individual event, either way at $250, count me out and few anglers I know would fish at that steep of a fee.

Kal-Kevin

if I might step in on this I think it could work but with our  season and people having family things going on all summer you need more off time. I run Kal-Valley Bass club and found requiring that people make half works for most. My people fish lake that they like, spend time with family and love that they make our classic each year. Entry fees plus gas shot most people down these days. so you would need to set it up in parts of Michigan, like four areas with one big event each fall.

Crankenstein Crony

I would be interested in a bigger team/partner related tournament series. It helps spread the overall cost of everything around. However, $250 for the entry fee is pretty steep. Especially if you plan on having a big schedule.   

gr@ssmonkey

Quote from: BRAIDMAN on November 02, 2012, 06:55:11 AM
I like what I'm reading folks, this area is way over due for a series of this nature, we have some of the best bass fishing in the country and at the same time we are way behind in the opportunities to fish for some serious coin. I would rather invest $750 with a buddy for a three event series and fish for $10,000 vs. $550 for a five event series where 1st is going to pay $1200-$2000 .Keep it simple and honest and the boats will come. BEST OF LUCK!

I would like to see a one time event for the $10,000, once a year get a chance to fish for that kind of coin, I would fish a one time event but couldn't swing a circuit of any kind, just to expensive to travel anymore, but no one wants to fish someone else's home lake for that entry SO u recruit from now to the tournament, (u have to work hard as a salesmen at this point) u have the tournament in late august middle sept. (so your guaranteed the weather won't ruin this awesome event, and u have all year to recruit).
There would be a list of 3-4 lakes (east/west/north/south) and teams would pay $300 entry in advance of knowing what lake would be drawn on a live webcam drawing (where u at brandy rawks) 1 week before tournament dates. Based on 50 boats, and no tournament 1 week before the drawing if at least 45 boats are not signed up..... u might say " but that would ruin my plans or season if they didn't have the tournament" if they can't make it work the first year it wouldn't be around no more so take a chance it's only one year if u like this kind of format.

50 boats
1st-$10,000
2nd- $3000
3rd- $900
4th- $800
5th- $300

no big bass and work on a way to compainsate the organization that runs it, 50/50 raffle/donations/sponsor prizes raffled off etc.

I would fish something like this every year in hopes that this year my home lake got drawn but if it didn't I would buckle down and have fun fishing an awesome tournament with an awesome prize one worthy of me putting my effort into, the caliber of fisherman that would fish this should know there good enough that anything can happen on any lake especially when the end result is $10,000

lakes-west=grand river and all connecting waters/east=st. clair and all connecting waters/north=one of the big smallmouth fisheries/ and south I don't know..lol

this I would like to see!!!!!

Braidman

You the man gr@ssmonkey! I would also fish an event like this once a year, wherever it was hosted.

Frank

how about a two day event.  ten different lakes saturday and the winners meet Sunday at a central lake.  You would be able to do it on small lakes yet still have a 100 boat field.

Frank