Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:20:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Interesting Link On Team Bass Website

Started by Skulley, December 03, 2006, 08:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skulley

I was browsing this evening and clicked on a link to the Team Bass Website.  Once on the site, I decided to check out their Forums.  On the forum there was a link to "fishinghurts.org" and PETA website.  Now my question would be why would a Bass Club put an anti-fishing link on their website ???  If anyone is a member of that club....perhaps you could reply and tell me why.  That just puzzles me that a "tree hugging" organization like PETA would have a link on a Bass Clubs site.  Seeing this I would think twice about joining that club if I was looking for a club to join.  The only PETA I agree with is the "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals".....not the tree hugging anti's that are trying to take our hunting and fishing rights away from us.  Check it out http://ronhuntfish.proboards61.com  It is located at the top of the page on the left.  Could someone please explain this to me???

I just tried clicking on the link I provided and the link to the site I am talking about is gone.  Interesting.  Google handles the advertising box for that site.  It is well known that Google donates money to the anti's.  I experimented and found that if you go to the site from my link, that advertisement does not show up.  Go to the Team Bass site by writing it the address cell manually and then click on the forum link.  You should get the site to list up in the advertisements then.

BD           ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Having suffered through the Google Adsense already, ad publishers have limited control over what shows up inside the Google ads boxes. The ads are generated by a program that looks at your web site and tries to show ads that match the content of your web site.

Companies that purchase ads do so based on keywords. The same keywords that are used to identify which ads to show on which web pages.

PETA knows this and is bidding on keywords that will get its 'ads' shown on fishing sites so anglers have a chance to read their studid message. They are devious in getting their links to show though.

There is a way to try to block certain ads through the Google settings, but I never tried it to see how well it worked. I don't know if you could successfully fully block the PETA ads or not through Google, but one should try. PETA has a number of web domains to spread their convoluted and unrealistic 'message.'

I doubt if Team Bass is wanting PETA's ads. Everytime you click on the ad, you do cost PETA money, but they get a lot of donations from equally misguided or misled people so I don't know that you could easily break them. Plus, if you click on a Google ad over and over, Google may suspend the account the clicks are coming from anyway like they did me.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

smbassman

As a member of Team Bass, I can guarantee we do not support PETA.  It is just a part of the "google ads" that help keep web page costs down.  I have seen that ad on many fishing forums lately.

ronhuntfish

Yes, I have been aware of this problem.  It is part of the drawback of having a free site provider.  I have been trying to figure out how to prevent this, but as everyone stated, I have no control over the ads that show. 

I am quite upset about this, and I am hoping to eliminate this problem.

Dan, can you send me an email regarding anything you know about blocking this?  The only sure way is to upgrade our website service and pay a fee so that they cannot add any adds at all.

Sorry to all of you who may have been offended by this add.  I'm pretty disgusted about this.

Ron

blakstr1

Well thanks for linking to the webiste first of all, and sorry for what you've found, them dirty buggers....  Ron does a greta job for us, managing the website, i'm sure you'll see nothing more of the kind...just more male enhancement advertisements and normal stuff like that ;D
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

djkimmel

How come there's not an ad like this: Do you want your wife (or spouse if this is offensive to the female members here) to let you go fishing whenever you want? Do you want her to get a 2nd job so you can fish more? Then click here Wife 2.0!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

ronhunfish - I probably am not remembering well since I'm (personally) boycotting Google ads and haven't logged on in months. I thought there was a way to block certain things, but now that you mention it, it may only be available for a fee. I'll look next time I get a chance to refresh my memory. I just can't bring myself to put the ads back up only to have them arbitrarily take away the small amount you do build up with no real explanation. I don't trust them and I prefer to deal with people I trust who are fair to the business relationship.

Skulley

I am glad that Team Bass has this viewpoint.   It may be worth the fee to keep that from showing up on the website, especially if you do not support their "way out in left field" viewpoint.  Like I said, I was just browsing the links to some of the forum members and saw that on the ad bar and was wondering.........WHAT THE *&*^%%%$&!!!!!

BD         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

You don't rake in many bucks with the Google ads unless you have thousands of visitors a day.

ronhuntfish

I am looking into different options for out message forum.  This may take a little time, since I have little time.  I hope to come up with a solution by the end of Dec.

I would think (hope) that most people have enough sense to realize that a random google ad like this is not the view point of anyone who has any sense at all, let alone an organization that devotes so much of their time fishing (and hunting).

djkimmel

I'm waiting to see if Yahoo ads go live for everyone. Although I haven't been watching in a while so I don't know the status... or if they'll be much different.