Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:40:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

charging tm while traveling

Started by Frank, October 04, 2012, 11:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

When you guys stay at a hotel while fishing how do you charge your batteries.  I have had to take 3 batteries and the charger up to my room on a luggage cart.  There has to be a better way.

Frank

BIGSHOW

can you say L o n g extension cord.

Waterfoul

There are some systems out there that will charge your boat batteries from your truck while you drive.  Try a google search.

Or you could do what I plan on doing soon.  1000 watt inverter hard wired to the truck's charging system and an extension cord out the back to the charger in the boat.  Simple.  I have it all thought out in my head (it's a great mental picture I assure you).

Or as others have said... most hotels will let you run an extension cord to your boat.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

VinceR

I have found that many hotels near popular "fishing" lakes, tend to be rather fisherman friendly. Many will have outdoor outlets where you can plug in from the lot. I try to do a little research before my trip to determine which ones have accessible outlets. 

I always try to have at least 100' of extension cord. I don't think that I've ever had to use it, but I have it, just in case.

If the hotel has an outdoor pool, there are usually several outlets on the poolhouse. Another place to look is at the base of the light poles in the parking lot. There are almost always outlets next to the entry/exit doors.

If the hotel has exterior entry to the rooms, try to get a ground floor room with the entry off the parking lot. As a last resort, you can run the extension cord from your room.

At the Roseville Red Roof Inn near St. Clair, you would see a bunch of extension cords hanging from the second floor railing into the parking lot.

motocross269

With 100ft of chord you need to be running at least 12guage wire to keep from smoking your charger.

Genie

I just take 12 christmas light cords ... that works.
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

mikesmiph

Knowing you Frank, I'm surprised you havent cobbled something to plug into your cigarette lighter yet. LOL

Dan

Talk to Danny at Stealth Charging Systems. Best unit on the market. It's what KVD uses. http://www.stealth1charging.com/
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

VinceR

Quote from: motocross269 on October 05, 2012, 12:03:51 PM
With 100ft of chord you need to be running at least 12guage wire to keep from smoking your charger.

In my case it's 2-50' 12/3 heavy-duty, contractor grade worksite cords. I also try not to have to lay them across the driveway area so they don't get run over.

Waterfoul

Quote from: Dan on October 05, 2012, 12:33:19 PM
Talk to Danny at Stealth Charging Systems. Best unit on the market. It's what KVD uses. http://www.stealth1charging.com/

It helps to have a newer vehicle for their systems.  My 98 Tahoe would require a lot of new wiring to make it work, which is why I'm going with the inverter.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Dan

On my basscat I had a Stay-n-charge system installed because it was like the Stealth but cheaper. It had charge on the go. It had a two main wire pigtail that plugged in. As I went down the road it charged up the batteries. It worked rather well. In an hours drive my batteries came up a lot. They never did get what I felt was peak though. Their "switching" system for charging the boat batteries off a charger didn't work well for me at all. One day I had a friend help me get the boat ready to put in the lake and he didn't unplug the back of the boat where the truck charger plugged in and I broke the plug off. It took me months to get another one and I did finally get it but I bet it took 6 months of nagging. I saved up some money and finally did what I should have done in the first place and bought the Stealth 1. I have a 99 Chevy and I had no problems charging from the truck.
The Stealth charge while you're running on the water system charged my fishing partner's batteries well enough on a weekend of dawn to dusk fishing on St. Clair to where we wouldn't even have to plug in at night. I was really impressed and that's why when I finally could afford one, I went that way. Their customer service is bar none top notch. No, I'm not sponsored by Stealth.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

BIGSHOW

I have thought about hanging a cord out my truck window. There is a plug in there also