Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:14:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Contest Open Now - Open now through Saturday Nov 26, 2006

Started by djkimmel, November 18, 2006, 03:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Time for another contest ? this time for a new product from the GreatLakesBass.com official apparel store on Cafepress.com. Winner of this contest gets a free copy of the 2007 GreatLakesBass.com monthly wall calendar featuring outdoor photos of Michigan and Great Lakes fishing/scenes. This is a heavy glossy paper 12-month wall calendar measuring 11" by 17" hanging on the wall.

--

Contest open through Saturday, November 26, 2006. If no one gets the the complete answer right, there will be a drawing to pick the winner.

Here is the contest--

What is the heaviest documented/generally accepted fish caught on a rod and reel? Provide the following:

--

1.   The weight of the fish in pounds.
2.   The species of fish ? common name, not scientific.
3.   The name of the angler who caught the fish (held the rod and reel).
4.   The month and year the fish was caught.
5.   The general location or water the fish was caught from ? This will be the first tiebreaker ? the closer you get the higher your finish.

If there are multiple members who get all answers right, a drawing will be held from all correct answers by one of the lovely GreatLakesBass.com models (my wife Angie) to choose the winner.

DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWERS if you don?t want others to get help from your answers. PM or email your answers too me. I?ll post the responses after Saturday. The calendar will be shipped to the winner right after the contest winner is announced. Good luck!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Only 6 or 7 entries so far... :(

This is a nice, glossy heavy paper wall calendar that will be a lot better than looking at the bare cube wall at work.

Hint, I'd get a guess in right now no matter what before Saturday... If no one gets all the answers right, I'll still have my prize model here at Casa de Kimmel draw a winner from all the entrants.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

And the winner is... yukonjack2!!!! Congratulations!!!

I guess I made it too hard and/or calendars aren't real popular here. Only had 8 entries and no one got the answer right, so my official GreatLakesBass.com model - Angie 'Vanna' Kimmel pulled a name by random and Jack is the winner. I already have his number so I can send out the calendar soon. I hope you like it Jack!

I have to come up with a consolation prize for team houston for the closest and funniest answer. He had the fish species right, the location right and said around 1999 it was caught by PoorBoy.

Here's the correct answer:
1.   Provide the weight in pounds.
   3,427 lbs.

2.   Provide the species of fish ? common name, not scientific.
   Great White Shark

3.   The name of the angler who caught the fish (held the rod and reel).
   Donnie Braddick on a boat captained by Frank Mundus

4.   The month and year the fish was caught.
   August 1986

5.   The general location or water the fish was caught from ? This will be the first tiebreaker ? the closer you get the higher your finish.
   off Montauk New York

The name - Frank Mundus may sound familiar. He is the irascible real-life captain Peter Benchley based his crude and gritty character Quint on in the book and movie Jaws.

Captain Mundus does not seem too impressed with the movie though saying it was the funniest and stupidest movie he's ever seen. Check out more here if you're interested: http://www.fmundus.com/frank_mundus_frequently_asked_qu.htm

This huge fish is well documented and reported by many sources. An attempt was made to have the IGFA consider this catch a world record, but IGFA had recently made a new rule that sharks could not be caught on mammal bait, which this and several other very large Great Whites where caught on (whale meat) so it could not technically become the official record.

The official world record Great White was guessed by several forum members:
1. Weight=2,664 lbs.
2. Species=Great Weight Shark
3. Name of Angler=Alf Dean
4. April 21, 1959
5. Location=Near Ceduna, South Australia

Interesting enough, this shark was also reportedly caught on mammal meat, but is allowed to stand because it was caught before the IGFA rule change. It has been surpassed several times by documented catches, but never replaced because of technicalities or most often because the other larger Great Whites, including pretty much all of the few caught by rod and reel over 3,000 pounds, were caught using mammal meat as bait. Captain Mundus claims to have caught a 4,500 pound Great White, using a harpoon, as his largest ever.

Team houston

What is my consolation prize?  Last years calender... HA Ha

Cheetam

I don't believe the Mundus fish was caught on Mammal meat.  It was actively feeding on a whale carcass when it was caught, and Mundus and his crew had actually moored his boat to the whale while trying to catch the shark.  I believe the fish was disqualified as a IGFA world record because of how close they were to the whale, or by the fact that they were, at one point, moored to it.  This is purely based on my twisted memory of this while watching Shark week a couple years ago...
Jeff

yukonjack2

A big thanx to Angie for drawing my name - I'll display it proudly here at Casa Cahn.  I thought you were messing with the question, cause a shark is technically not a fish - anyhow, thanx for the calander.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

bshaner

Congrats Yukon and yes I thought the same thing.  I did not think a shark was a fish.  I passed right over DK's correct answer on the net and told myself it wouldnt be a shark.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

djkimmel

Quote from: Team houston on November 27, 2006, 10:30:29 AM
What is my consolation prize?  Last years calender... HA Ha

Hey... you just gave me an idea - thanks! ;D

djkimmel

Quote from: jcheetam on November 27, 2006, 10:40:47 AM
I don't believe the Mundus fish was caught on Mammal meat.  It was actively feeding on a whale carcass when it was caught, and Mundus and his crew had actually moored his boat to the whale while trying to catch the shark.  I believe the fish was disqualified as a IGFA world record because of how close they were to the whale, or by the fact that they were, at one point, moored to it.  This is purely based on my twisted memory of this while watching Shark week a couple years ago...

Sounds like you knew enough to win yourself a calendar?

I read one or two reports that blamed the mammal meat (that sounds kind of funny, doesn't it?), but I also read one report that seemed credible that the Mundus catch was dq'd because they used 150 pound-test line and the maximum allowable is 100 pound-test. I figured I'd check this out a little more in my 'spare' time. I had heard there was a maximum, but don't know what it is or if there is a max pound test limit.

I wish there was a better picture of the 4,500 pound shark he harpooned!

I just noticed the mindless eternal computer word police got me with the harpun (mispelling on purpose to fool the policeman) word above ;D - guess I better check into the secret inner workings to see if anything can be done... or will we never adequately be able to talk about the joys of harpooning??

djkimmel

Quote from: yukonjack2 on November 27, 2006, 01:09:25 PM
A big thanx to Angie for drawing my name - I'll display it proudly here at Casa Cahn.  I thought you were messing with the question, cause a shark is technically not a fish - anyhow, thanx for the calander.

Jack

I'll let Angie know, but I think you and bshaner flunked ichthyology class - check this out - it might help: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/sharks/

Here's another shark 101: http://www.sdnhm.org/kids/sharks/faq.html#large

We are fishermen (and women) here. We're supposed to know our fish! ;D

I will have to be more careful and not do 'trick' questions in the future. Maybe I should form a committee?

yukonjack2

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

bshaner

It wasnt a trick question, D.  I wasnt complaining.  My opinion of a shark is different than the correct opinion of a shark  :P  Ergo, I missed the answer  :'(

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844