Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:04:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Compression questions

Started by BIGSHOW, September 02, 2012, 10:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

Had some minor PM done on motor since I have no time. I had them check the compression on my mercury 115 efi 2005. It came back at 165 psi. in all cylinders. The mechanic was gone so I couldnt ask. But I know its good to have all the same but what is a high/low reading? Motor has 137 hrs on it. Is this average?

fish hound

I don't hink that can be right.  I think about the max to safely run on pump gas (even 93 octane) is 145ish.  It seems you would have some seriuos detonation problems at that PSI.  And rarely do all holes match exactly, ask them to do the comp test again.  Also, go to the merc boards on BBC and ask Don Weed.

Matt

Waterfoul

I'd question the validity of the test.  Seems fairly high to me.  As was said... 145 or so would be more normal, and with that many hours no way would they all match.  My bet is they would be all within 10% of each other but never the same.  Take it somewhere else.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

BIGSHOW

Mercury website says acceptable psi over 150-160. The motor only has 137 hrs on it. I know people who put more on in a year. I dont see why a practicly new well cared for motor can't be within that range. Reguardless,next time I take it in I will try another place and see what they say. As for know it runs fine.

BIGSHOW

@ fish hound. Where are the mercury boards you mentioned on bbc? What is bbc? Thanks

Redbone

Quote from: BIGSHOW on September 06, 2012, 08:27:51 AM
@ fish hound. Where are the mercury boards you mentioned on bbc? What is bbc? Thanks

www.Bassboatcentral.com

If your not on it, you should be. BBC and GLB are my two favorite fishing/boating sites. ;D

Waterfoul

Agreed.  BBC is a great site.

Still seems hokey to me that they were all the same.  Never seen that in all my years.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

BIGSHOW

That site is cool. I talked with Don Weed and he said it sounds right to him.

fish hound

OK, so I was wrong, I'm man enough to admit it.  That just sounds awful high for comp #'s, but I'm usually looking at the Hi-Perf  3L boards and that's probably where I saw a max @ 140 ish.  Those guys on BBC know there stuff, and if Don said you're good, you're good.  

Matt

Edit:  After further review, it was indeed a discussion about 3L motors.  http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-liter-high-performance/285786-300x-plays-golf-got-hole-one.html

I checked on the 2.5L page and the smaller displacement engines can and do run at much higher comp #'s.  My mistake, hope I didn't cause any undo worry.

BIGSHOW

It got me wondering. I did find that the 2 stroke and Hi-perf like you said tend to be lower. I do like the BBC site. Alot of useful info. That guy Don seems like he knows his stuff. He had like 35,000+ reply/posts.

fish hound

Don is like a 10th degree blackbelt in Mercs.  He owns a marina in S.C., I believe, and is a paying board sponsor, but the amount of his own time he spends on there giving free advice to guys is amazing.  If he was closer, he'd do all work on my boat.

Matt

BIGSHOW

Maybe I can find a slightly used ranger reata on there to. Been having trouble finding one.

Redbone

Don is great on that site.

He almost always answers all the questions daily at 5am.  He has given me some really good information.

BIGSHOW

Isn't the internet great, what did we do without it. Or cell phones..lol