Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:28:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Why should you join The Bass Federation of Michigan?

Started by djkimmel, November 16, 2006, 02:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I hope many anglers recognize the need to be members of an organized front are more important than just tournaments and personal benefits. We are not riding a wave of support in the general public, particularly with some of our government agencies.

If you truly value the opportunity to fish bass tournaments and want to continue to have the privilege (not a right that can't be denied) it is imperative that you stand and be counted. Now more than ever. There are things going on right on our doorstep that can and will affect our involvement in the sport of bass tournaments and bass fishing that we love.

The state of Wisconsin is looking at blocking all catch-and-release tournaments for the months of July and August. They are having public hearings right now based on minimal study and basically knee-jerk reactions. Minnesota took away the statewide opportunity to bring in smallmouths to weigh in after early September a couple years ago, again based on minimal study mostly surrounding a couple rivers. Indiana is making it increasingly difficult and expensive for bass tournaments to be held on public lakes/public access ? to the point where they may not be able to hold respectable tournaments on some of their biggest lakes ? they don?t have many as it is ? check out: http://www.bassfederation.com/main.asp?page=185.

I often hear from anglers, ?nothing will happen; things don?t change; I?ll let other anglers worry about that, I don?t have time.? I continue to be amazed when I see challenges ALREADY happening all around us! We recently had to fight tooth and nail in Michigan to keep from losing 3 to 4 more weeks of our already short tournament season. I wonder if everyone truly realizes how close we came to losing and how much work it took to keep that from happening. There are continuing and new pressures and movements right here in Michigan that will bring us under the spotlight again soon? more than once. I can promise you.

Example, on a more global front, there are individuals who would love to stop us from fishing at all. They recently poured almost $2,000,000 into Michigan to defeat the dove hunting ballot proposal. These same groups have public policies to stop all fishing, and specifically mention tournament fishing as the easy first target in their sites. I have talked before about PETA bringing in successful experts from Pisces to help them develop a campaign to target competitive fishing. Salvos have already been fired, even in Michigan. We are an obvious target with the water we have and the significance the outdoors is to our economy.

Please. Please look at more than just what?s in it for me. We all need to stand up and be counted even if it only means to be a member so we can add one more to the count we mention when we talk to public officials about what is important to the bass anglers of Michigan. If we can?t be organized amongst ourselves and reach compromises and agreements, what chance do we have the next time a limit is proposed on us?

It is coming and sooner than you think. I do not make and never will make this stuff up. I just happen to be in the position to hear about some of these issues earlier, and to do my job of Conservation Director truly well, I have to be looking forward and try to determine where events and issues are taking us, and what might be the result so we are not always blindsided by something we should be preparing for already. I don?t always succeed, but it is not for the lack of trying.

I need you to recognize the importance of being a part of the solution and join the federation that has individuals in it with proven track records working towards protecting and enhancing the sport we all love. I?m not asking you to write letters, or call someone? just join! Please. The other personal benefits are just the gravy.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skip Johnson

Ok Dan you got my attention I just joined through your Bass Boys site, we need to show a united front through organized membership!
Thats what is in it for us, $30 for me to be counted as a united front is nothing, peta and others are spending alot more than $30 per person to try to take our priviliges away the dove ban proves that.

Skip
Go Big or Go Home!

djkimmel

Thanks so much Skip. I will do my best to make you glad you signed up.

There will be other great benefits also. And we'll keep seeking more. As we grow, opportunities will increase.

I'll get back with you soon on your other email question. I have to check on something tomorrow to make sure I give out accurate information.

Of course, the stuff I wrote above is my personal opinion (and hope and desire for the future). The TBF and all our partners are working hard to come up with and provide great benefits to all members. Along the way, they expect some great youth and conservation work will also get done too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.