Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:43:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

ABA takes over the running of the Bassmaster Weekend Series

Started by djkimmel, November 14, 2006, 10:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I'd heard rumors about this for a short while, but I'd kind of forgotten about it. The one part that is kind of odd - anglers who fish the Bassmaster weekend series have to belong to both BASS and ABA.

From BassFan.com:
Breaking News
ABA To License, Run BASS's Weekend Series

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A rumor had been circulating that American Bass Anglers (ABA) was in talks with BASS to assume some or all control of the ESPN Outdoors Bassmaster Series. Until today, news of the talks could not be confirmed, but BASS just announced that ABA will in fact "license" the Weekend Series beginning in 2007. More...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Anthony Adams

There are still some minor things in the works but this is huge for the ABA.

Those who have never fished the ABA need to take a closer look. The ABA is quickly becoming the elite organization for the weekend angler. We have by far more to offer the weekend Angler then any other tournament trail.

Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

Skip Johnson

Im still waiting for the B.A.S.S. schedule to post!
I called B.A.S.S. 2 weeks ago and they said they knew the schedule and would post it soon and they could not tell me, I wonder if ABA is who will post it?

It does not affect me becouse I belong to both organisations but I think having to be an ABA member to fish the B.A.S.S. tournaments is wrong!
Go Big or Go Home!

Cheetam

What effect will this have on payouts?  If ABA gets a piece and BASS gets a piece, what is left for the anglers?
Jeff

McCarter

A years subscription to Bass Club Digest!!!!!!!!!!

PB himself :-\'

Cheetam

Jeff

Eric

Don't be knockin the BCD.  Not only is it my favorite mag, but no one has amassed (OK stolen) the number of issues that I have.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

HellaBass

I would have to disagree, the ABA does not allow a weekend angler any shot at the Classic or FLW Championship the way BFL or Weekend Series does  :-\'

Quote from: ABA on November 14, 2006, 11:05:30 PM
Those who have never fished the ABA need to take a closer look. The ABA is quickly becoming the elite organization for the weekend angler. We have by far more to offer the weekend Angler then any other tournament trail.

bshaner

Quote from: HellaBass on November 15, 2006, 01:41:46 PM
I would have to disagree, the ABA does not allow a weekend angler any shot at the Classic or FLW Championship the way BFL or Weekend Series does? :-\'

Quote from: ABA on November 14, 2006, 11:05:30 PM

Ya, that is a gross over statement to be sure.

Just to stay in the good graces of DK I will leave this discussion alone.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

McCarter

What ABA is refering to is the prizes.  For example, big bass at the National tournament pays over $5000 each day.  Plus, 3 fully rigged Triton Tr21X boats are given away.  And there are a ton of other huge prizes such as Lowrance electronics, Airrus fishing rods, bait packages.

Obviously, you arent going to make it to the Bassmaster Classic or FLW Championship directly by fishing in the ABA, but it is set up for weekend anglers.  So you are not fishing against the 'pros' to compete for these huge prizes.

On a side note, the past 3 winners of ABA national tournaments have all went on to sign big contract deals with sponsors and have all jumped into some rank of pro fishing.

So they do offer a ton to the 'weekend angler'.  Anyone one of us could win the national tournament, or a regional event for that matter and walk away with a boat packaged valued at nearly $50,000.

MBell

I seems like a good move from my view.  Hopefully they can work some things out, all of the fees/membership stuff is a joke. 
-Matt

MBell

Also read that they canceld Bassmaster University for 2007.
-Matt

Duke

QuoteI would have to disagree, the ABA does not allow a weekend angler any shot at the Classic or FLW Championship the way BFL or Weekend Series does 

Correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but won't these participants next year have a chance to fish the BASSmaster Classic through qualifications and union between them and BASS? I think that classic whips up the BFL classic pretty fierce. Am I wrong about that though?

Duke
Duke

McCarter

A one year membership for the ABA is $25.  thats not a lot of money.  But they shouldnt force people to pay for a membership to an organization that they have no interest in participating in just to fish with another.  They should just make all BASS weekend series guys ABA members for free.  That would probably raise the turnouts to alot of the ABA tournaments.  Since guys are already members for free, they would probably be more willing to fish in the tournaments.  Would this cause problems among paying ABA members?  dont know, but who cares.  Im a paying member and no one ever cares how i feel, so whats the use.  Ok, so ABA would lose money on membership fees but they would gain money in tournament profits.  And doing it this way keeps everyone happy, except people like me whos opinions dont matter anyway ;D  Just kidding, i dont give a rats asprin either way.  Let em in for free.  If my boat works next year i will sign up for both just for the heck of it.  I wonder if existing ABA members will get priority entries into the weekend series, i hear there is a long waiting list to fish them.  No wait, thats not right.  I heard they only get 30 boats a tournament.  too many cheifs and not enough indians to fish everything.what can you do?!?

dartag

sounds like everyone is in the business of selling memberships.  to fish BASS you need to join ABA.  to fish TBF you need to join FLW.    guess at 25-40 up front a head that is good business.  all this to try and fish a regional 600 miles away. 

going to be a long winter

djkimmel

I'm just proud ABA knows a word like 'elite' !!! Way to go big fella!!

When Anthony is on a roll, I don't try to stop him (besides he is our new TBF state youth director along with co-director Yukonjack2).

America is the land of choices. We all want things a little or a lot different than each other, so it's nice to have some choices that can meet the different desires, goals, expense accounts and time frames.

I agree the membership's are getting numerous, but partnerships seem to be the wave of the future and do sometimes provide valuable benefits. Of course, anglers will speak with the support or lack of - the final determiner.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Anthony Adams

Lots of questions and remarks I will try to address if I can...

QuoteI think having to be an ABA member to fish the B.A.S.S. tournaments is wrong!

There are several reasons this must be done. This is nothing different then Fishing TBF (FLW) - BASS Federation (BASS). Except in these organizations you may also have a club membership as well.

As already stated an ABA membership is only $25.00 and you get to fish any ABA event Nationwide as well as our Magazine.

QuoteIm still waiting for the B.A.S.S. schedule to post!

This is coming soon - I also appologize that I have not put out my schedule either - I am still waiting on a few answers to things... Expect them both soon.

QuoteWhat effect will this have on payouts?
?
I expect that this will have a positive increase in payouts due to the increase in sponsorships gained.

Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

Anthony Adams

QuoteI would have to disagree, the ABA does not allow a weekend angler any shot at the Classic or FLW Championship the way BFL or Weekend Series does

QuoteObviously, you aren?t going to make it to the Bassmaster Classic or FLW Championship directly by fishing in the ABA

Yet! .... I'll leave it at that for now.

However now that the weekend series is ran by the ABA - Technically it does.

Name me one other trail that in 2007 that will give-a-way more than 7 Triton Bass Boats... 80% payback, Over 500,000 in Cash and Prizes an entry free National championship, $5000+ per day for big bass... We also have 4 dream packages anyone can win - where 4 lucky ABA members will get a fully rig (wrapped TR-21) loaded boat and all their entry fees paid for one full year.. Counting all that?s a total of 11 Bass boats that members have a shot at winning. We have tons of sponsor programs, close to home tournaments all at a low price to the weekend angler.

You maybe surprised - take a closer look at what the ABA has to offer.

QuoteCorrect me if I'm reading this wrong, but won't these participants next year have a chance to fish the BASSmaster Classic through qualifications and union between them and BASS?

You?re correct

QuoteOn a side note, the past 3 winners of ABA national tournaments have all went on to sign big contract deals with sponsors and have all jumped into some rank of pro fishing.

Most of the ABA's biggest sponsors are also Bass Masters biggest sponsors. The ABA is not as big here in Michigan (Yet) but they are the top weekend trail across the country and they currently have over 30,000 active members... Winning the ABA national championship is a big deal and anglers who do win it all get a ton of recognition for it.

QuoteI?m a paying member and no one ever cares how i feel, so whats the use

I care - please explain - I know I call you all the time and ask you your opinion... feel free to call me anytime and voice your opinions. Keep in mind all tournament organizations and directors get a ton of feedback from various anglers and not everyone can get their way. But everyone gets there say and the organizations and directors must make a choice based on what?s best. I know you want Belleville lake on the schedule (in fact I think you want just Belleville and Kent lake on the schedule) and all tournaments to start at 8:30 am so you can sleep in.... Just kidding with ya poorboy.

QuoteWhen Anthony is on a roll, I don't try to stop him (besides he is our new TBF state youth director along with co-director Yukonjack2).

That's Mr. Unstoppable to you ... Dan

I feel so conflicted ... I am proud to be associated with the Michigan TBF? I care a great deal about the future of our sport and I am excited about the TBF youth programs. I hope to provide valuable leadership to the youth movement and I think the TBF of Michigan is headed in the right direction.

QuoteI agree the memberships are getting numerous, but partnerships seem to be the wave of the future and do sometimes provide valuable benefits.

I think we as bass anglers will see more and more partnerships coming. As a result memberships to various organizations will become more and more common. - I think the partnerships will give us Bass anglers more opportunity then we?ve ever had. FLW and BASS are competing for the market and the Bass Anglers will only benefit from a healthy competition. One thing is for sure ... we will all have numerous options available to us in 2007 and this is a good thing.

Anthony Adams

Quoteall this to try and fish a regional 600 miles away. 

With the new ABA regional format a regional is getting closer to home everyday. I expect one to be very close very soon.

Also the TBF regional is close this year and Next year Michigan will host the regional ...... at least that is my understanding.

djkimmel

Holey Smokes - who wrote all that for you?? Eloquently said. And thanks for reminding me about the 2008 Regional!! I can't believe I've forgotten to post that yet.

As far as being conflicted, we will still like you and talk to you regardless of who you associate with in your spare time... unless you start talking positively about the ohio buckeyes...

Seriously, I hope BASS doesn't come out and say you have to choose. I don't see how they could since you work for ABA not them.