Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:39:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lowrance.net stuff

Started by Revtro, January 10, 2006, 10:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

Anyone have any experience with Lowrance.net products?  I have an LMS-480 and an x-72 that I'd like to see if I can network to use the same transducer.  My bow mount (x-17) doesn't have temp and speed.  So if I can network it to use the same transducer as the dash mount, that would be cool.  Anyone know if that's how it works?  Or is it only for GPS features?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djmaclf

I do know that is limited in what can be done.  I did ask Lowrance about sharing info (mapping data) between front and dash.  Theu said it would not work.  Do not know about the Transducer data though.  Anyone here any more info on Lowrance's new IGPS?

djkimmel

If the devices are NMEA 2000 (Adobe pdf link) they can be networked with the connectors and cable, and share sensors like temperature. They can't share transducers - too much bandwidth required to draw the maps for the network backbone as you'll see if you look at the pdf link above. I admit I'm behind on the LowranceNET stuff, but I'll be doing more research at the Lowrance site.

Some of the pluses are that you can get additional sensors, such as battery power, gasoline consumption, gas tank meter, output from your outboard's computer on some newer models (Yamaha Command Link) and view the information on your Sonar/GPS units.

Eventually, you'll be able to monitor just about anything in your boat this way - how about livewell water temperature (hey - already available) and oxygen levels? That would be cool.

It will be cool to share GPS waypoints from one GPS antennae module. I hope to be much more up on the topic by the end of the winter.

I have quite a bit on the Yamaha Command Link already and wrote a short article on it for the federation Bass Lines.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

blakstr1

I was a bit intimidated by the LowrnaceNET stuff at first, but then more I read the easier this stuff seems.  Its the reason I'm seriuosly considering a new console unit.  Hopefully they will keep adding optional sensors.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Savage

I've been checking into it so I can add the temp sensor to my older dash unit.  Not sure if I want to share a tranducer though, as my console is glassed into the bottom of the boat in the back, and my bow mount is 20 feet away on the trolling motor.  I like knowing what is RIGHT under me on the bow.

Shouldn't be too many more years until everything is sharing info on our boats, with a touch-screen interface to monitor it all.  I personally want a livewell cam! :D  Maybe a through-hull camera in the bottom of the boat to see what's below as I idle over it? ::)
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Revtro

Thanks for all the input.? I was at the fishing show on Saturday and talked to the Lowrance guy.? All it did was add more confusion because he said you could share transducers.? I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about.? He didn't seem to sure of himself, but I questioned him again about the transducers and he was adamant that you could share them.? He suggested calling the Lowrance tech line.? I'll do that and if I get a definitive answer, I'll post it here.? My guess is that Dan is right though and it's too much bandwith to share a transducer.? I did find out that my bow unit is probably not NMEA 200 compliant, which means that if I want to do any networking at all, I'll have to buy a new unit.? :(
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

blakstr1

SAVAGE - the LowranceNET stuff is only compatible to the NMEA 2000 products..i know both my LMS-240 and Globalmapp 2400 are NMEA 0183 rated...not sure when they made the switch.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Savage

Pretty sure my GlobalMap 2000 can accept that, I just want to add sensors to the console unit, like temp and maybe atmospheric pressure.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

blakstr1

just checked the Lowrance website, your 2000 won't support it either...i'm thinking the change has only been within the last year or so...what unit did you put up front??  your GM 2000 is 0183 compatible, you can link (2) 0183 units together but you won't be able to get the newly offered temp sensors (for example the Livewell temp..)
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Savage

Crap. >:(

The one up front is an X-75, and I just added the GPS unit last season, can't even remember what model it was.....

Crap. >:(

Back to the drawing board! :'(
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

Revtro

That's what I have up front as well.  Grrr.  My LMS-480 might be NMEA 2000 compliant.  I was told by the Lowrance rep at the show that the latter 480's are.  I don't know how to find out if mine is.  I'm hoping the manual will tell me. Nothing I can do about the x-75 though.  My hope is to buy a new dash unit soon (a color unit) and move the 480 to the front.  If I could then link the GPS to share one receiver, that would be awesome.  We'll have to see.  Until I get the cash to buy a new unit, it's a moot point. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

blakstr1

i'm really trying to find out when the "switch" occurred..i was just on the Lowrance website and saw that the LMS-480M & 480DF were both NMEA 0183, but it states the units are upgradeable to NMEA 2000...that might be an option for you Revtro..
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

djkimmel

Lowrance has been pretty good in the past up having upgradeable firmware on many of their units. I guess we need to track down a real knowledgeable expert resource.

The transducer bandwidth problem made sense to me. I'm wondering if the person you talked to Rev was only thinking of part of the issue. The documentation DOES say you can get digital depth returns from one transducer to multiple units, but that is it.

I imagine we would all want the actual picture, not just a digital depth number. So he may have been referring to that without either being clear on the limitation or not explaining it fully.

OR, as things do in this computer age, maybe the documentation is outdated already...?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Revtro

According to the website the LMS-480M can be updated to add NMEA 2000 support.  Here's the link to download the latest softare for it:
http://www.lowrance.com/Software/Upgrades/LMS/LMS-480_180/Default.asp
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

MBell

You can sharre a transducer, they have a spliter.  I don't know where, I think I've seen them on ebay they had the black connectors.
-Matt

Revtro

That would be cool.? So basically this means that you share the transducer, but not in a network fashion?? If that's true, then I could get a temp reading to my front unit which is something I really want to accomplish.? The transducer for the bow unit is located in the rear of the boat anyway, so why not share the outer one that has temp and speed.? ?I have no idea why they located the bow's transducer in the rear.? Someday I'll have to change that.? Thanks Matt.

----

Just went to the Lei Extras site and found switch boxes to allow two units to use the same transducer.  It looks like you can switch between units with one transducer, but I couldn't find any kind of y cable to allow them both to use one transducer at the same time. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]