Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 03:11:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bass Books and a little bit about me.....

Started by Bulletproof, January 09, 2006, 10:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

Gearing up for a big tourney here in a week, which means i am reading like crazy.  Its nice to have good books that you can refer to when you need to wake up a few sleepy demons.  It really helps to get the wheels turning with some new ideas again.

I just finished Iaconellis book, Fishing on the Edge.  It was really good, as Rev said monthes ago.  I highly recommend it.  Gives a lot of great info, and a lot of dirt on BASS and FLW, as well as a few well known anglers.

On a side note, has anyone seen Ikes DVD?  I almost bought it a month ago, so i would have something new to watch this winter, but after shipping it came $31 and change.  Thats a bit steep for a video that is less than an hour long.  But who knows, maybe it is worth the money.

PB himself :-\'

djkimmel

Don't forget to watch Amazon.com to see if used copies are put up. Sometimes you can save a bunch that way. I have not seen it, but I heard it was pretty good also and informative once you get past how you feel one way or the other about Ike.

I'll have to check out his book and dvd one of these days, maybe this winter... I'm curious. Not enough to run out, but I also wonder behind his tv 'persona' what type of angler he is - I've always heard he is methodical and relentless in his approach to tournaments. I've heard some less flattering things too, but have no firsthand knowledge.

There's another new book coming out - Amazon is taking orders on it for shipping soon - by Ken Schultz, called Bass Madness. It looks interesting, but I don't know at what angle the author approaches the subject of the Classic and the anglers. Hopefully, someone here will read it and give a 'review.'

You can check out these books' summaries (and maybe a deal on the Ike dvd if they have any used copies in) at the *new* GreatLakesBass.com Amazon store - the Bass Madness book is a featured product on the first page.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

matt

I'm really intrested in that st.Clair book in the store.Is this useful for somebody who doesn't have a boat as well?Definely would like to pick something up on St.clair,i will be looking to fish that lake in the early spring.

djkimmel

The 'No Secrets' St. Clair books are most useful to someone who has a boat OR can go out fishing in a boat with someone else. GPS waypoints make both books worth every penny and then some (I've been using them for a long time).

The books also cover strategy and techniques that can help any angler on St. Clair catch more bass, although again some of the specifics are easier from a boat. The books may help you consider which shore locations to fish from at which times of the year some because they do talk about seasonal movements and behavior of bass. There are techniques in the books too that should make a shore angler a better angler - more efficient by fishing the best techniques for the locations.

I'm the kind of person who buys all the maps and all the books on a body of water I'm going to fish. I always seem to learn something worthwhile from each source.

Also, I would suggest you keep active on this forum and hopefully, you'll make new friends who have boats!! :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

matt

Still seems to be worth it if it talks about the seasonal movements...something i could use.I been going to the DNR MI lake sites,just to get a look at what and how some of the lakes are structured.I alway hear good things about St.clair on this board,so i figured why not read and know a few things about it before i go.

djkimmel

Wayne's books pack years of knowledge and fishing spots into a few short hours of reading. Then you have all the GPS waypoints to the some of the best spots too.

By years, I mean it would take most anglers years of fishing St. Clair to learn some of the stuff you can learn much faster in the books. You still have to go there and fish to make it work for you individually, but it is a faster learning curve when you have already limited your learning to targeted areas, known seasonal patterns and productive techniques.

matt