Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:51:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What a difference a hook can make

Started by Waterfoul, June 16, 2012, 12:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Fished a tournament on White Lake Thursday night.  Things started a bit slow... no fish in the boat after the first 45-50 minutes.  Changed locations and just started chucking senkos to get a limit in the boat.  I have been trying out a new whacky senko hook this season... an Owner 2/0 circle wacky hook, and have had decent success with it though I have lost a few fish I didn't think I should have (who loses senko fish???).  Thursday night I lost the first 5 fish I had on while Marc Dehollander is in the back of the boat throwing our old stand by EWG hook and landing every fish.  After a nice ~3 pounder spits the hook at me Marc MAKES me change hooks to an EWG.  What a difference.  I landed every fish that bit after I switched.  Marc and I went on to boat a nice 14.85 lb limit and grab a first place check.

I know you are not supposed to "set" the hook when fishing a circle hook... just apply pressure and reel.  BUNK!!  Wasn't working for me at all.  I think I'll just stick to my tried and true EWG, swing the rod like I'm hitting fast balls at Comerica Park, and call it good.

So the next time you are losing fish you don't think you should be losing... try switching up your hooks.  You never know... it could get you in the money!

(Thanks for making me change hooks Marc!!)
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

It is hard not to set the hook with circle hooks when you're used to setting the hooks. I have tested them off and on, and there are times their hookup ratio is low. They do not work as well on bass that don't move or bass that swim at you. You are way more likely to pull the hook out in those cases.

I have found with a number of whacky style hooks that setting the hook hard loses more fish while setting slow and steady with a very sharp hook works better.

If you're prone to getting excited, then stick to hooks that you can swing away on is my advise. Most finesse and whacky style hooks are not designed to swing away with.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

I fished with a guy last year that used EWG hooks for drop shotting.....I had 2 fish come unbuttoned on Gamakatsu 1/0 dropshot hooks and he was at 100 percent....

I lost a few fish last weekend while Drop shotting in less than 5 feet of water with Gammies...it may be time for me to look at trying something new... ;)

It does help to run the drag very loose.....On both wacky rigs and shallow water dropshotting...

Waterfoul

Ask anyone who knows me... drop shotting is NOT an issue for me.   ;D  It's my bread and butter.  It's my bag.  I enjoy it juuuuuuust a little bit.   ;)

I think the circle whacky hook has a place... on those days when the fish are not moving at all... when they are just mouthing the bait.  Thursday was not one of those days... most of the fish were running with it in one direction or another.  Switching hooks at Marc's "suggestion" saved our night for sure.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

Normally, circle hooks work best when a fish is swimming or turning away from you.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MSURoss

Waterfoul

I'm also done with circle hooks losing way too many fish. EWG for life.

djkimmel

Circle hooks are good for catch and release, and live bait methods. Mixed reviews for other types of fishing and for tournament anglers who are used to swinging for the fence. I keep messing around with them because I like to do that.

Dan

Have had the same experience. Only time I see them working a bit better is when I senko fish in an area with a lot of weeds.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Lightningboy

The success of any hook is dependent on the way the fish moves that day.

guys are right that some days the fish tun on the bait and move with it; circle hooks are great at hooking those fish since they depend on the hook finding it's way to the corner of the mouth.  Usually works great on smallies since they are very competitive.

But other days the fish just take the bait in their mouths and face you.  Or worse yet, drift with you while you increase tension.  Feels like you hooked a wet dish rag.  Only thing I've found to help is to have an open point hook, (not a circle) reel fast and drill 'em.

Those are also the days to make sure you hit your bait with scent.  Anything that make the fish hold onto the bait a second longer gives you an advantage.  I think this is the one place scents (I think flavors) make a difference.

I try to be aware of how the fish bite each day.  It's my job to adjust.  That's why some days a big worm is the bait, and others it might be a  racing trap.

The first fish tells you a story; the second one tells you if the first was lying.  The third tells you which to believe... ;)

thedude

gammie finnesse wide gap. 1/0 or 2/0. nuff said.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Skulley

I've always tried to stay away from circle hooks except when using live bait for ice fishing. The Gamakatsu wide gap finesse are good. I liken them to Velcro. I also like the Gamakatsu treble hooks for my crank baits. I like using them on lures that have low percentage hook up ratios like rattle traps.

BD.                     ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

detroit1

Cool! One thing i DON'T have to try. (circle hooks) Size 1 ewg, nose and weedless when needed for my d/s...
WAVE THERAPY

Skulley

Sometimes adding a rattle will help the fish find the bait better and sometimes a rattle isn't needed.

BD.                     ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Firefighter Jeff

I've used and been happy with the EWG drop shot hooks, especially with 5 inch finesse worms.  Bob Allen (Tritontr20 I think on here ) told me about the VMC Spinshot Dropshot hooks. I'm really starting to like them.  No line twist.  :)

fasttrack

I'm just glad you listened to me for once (LOL)!
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: fasttrack on June 25, 2012, 11:56:23 AM
I'm just glad you listened to me for once (LOL)!

lolololol   Marc  !!!!  You tell him  !!!!    :)