Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:16:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Dan - Problems with the site at all?

Started by bshaner, September 27, 2006, 07:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bshaner

I'm set to stay logged in forever.  Started the day pulling up the site as a guest somehow.  Went to login and it's hanging on the login2 page.  Browser shows as done with a blank browser screen.  Have to go to the main page URL and start over to get a login.  Logged in with the box checked for forever.  Went to make a post and was flagged as a guest and required to login again.  login2 hung again same symptoms as above.

Just FYI.

Checked on my end and I'm status quo.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

Langer

Im guessing Operator error.......  Drink a 2nd cup of coffee and then try. hahah
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

bshaner

I wish I drank coffee just for the excuses I could use alone!!!

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

djkimmel

Something in the way this forum is programmed to redraw by the owners of the code causes that blank page sometimes. Hit the refress button and the page should come up.

I have had a few people have trouble staying logged in forever depending on the browser and the operating system of your PC.

I have something on this in the support and questions board below. Let me review it to refresh my memory.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

The redraw problem is normally worse in Internet Explorer than in Mozilla Firefox because of the way each browser renders a page.

Try logging in again if you are using Internet Explorer and hitting the refresh button if you get a blank to see if that shows you logged in. Otherwise, I may have to talk to you this evening if possible to help. For IE, you can also try logging in using the LOGIN button instead of using the form in the USER INFO box and see if that gets your cookie fixed.

If you are using Firefox - a newer version, there are some issues with settings that can block functions, like my settings don't allow me to use the logout button. Anyway, go to Tools, Options...

Go to the Privacy tab and then Cookies under that. If you don't have a lot of web pages you log into and don't mind relogging in to them later, press the Clear Cookies Now button.

Close Firefox and then come back in and login again. This should clear a cookie problem.

IF you don't want to clear all your Firefox Cookies, click the View Cookies button instead. Click on the GreatLakesBass.com cookies to highlight it. Then click the Remove Cookie(s) button to remove just greatlakesbass.com. Then close Firefox and try to login again. If this doesn't work, I will probably need to talk to you about your settings on the phone tonight.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bshaner

I checked all the mentioned possibilities prior to posting.  I am a Network Admin after all :)  That was where I said I checked everything on my end :)

It's got me really stumped so now I'm breaking down all of the GPO's.  It sounds like an Internet security zone setting, however, I am the one who administers the GPO's and I didnt change anything! 

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

djkimmel

They've blocked quite a bit of the Internet at my work too. Many things no longer work or are accessible. I did not know you where a network admin. If you told me, I forgot. No surprise there :) They use Websense where I work.

I haven't changed anything on my end that I control as far as coding. I installed a new version of the underlying forum software, but that was a couple weeks ago or so. Minor changes, but you should have noticed before this.

I don't believe my host has changed anything, but I would think I'd be getting more requests for help if that was the case.

I always look for the simplest solution first (Achem's razor... or Occam's razor or Ockham's razor) - sounds like you deleted the cookies already and tried to recreate them. Otherwise, I would suspect a security block if most other's are using the forum without a bunch of problems. I guess I'm not much help to you...?

Of course to test that theory yourself, you could do dial-up just to test and/or logon from another location. If you can, than something is going on at your location... but you already know to do that. I'll check back this evening to see how you are doing and/or if I think of something.

bshaner

Found it.  One of my minions was playing in GPO's.  If you know anything about GPO's you know you dont want a minion playing with an already linked GPO.  After beating him senseless I restored the internet security zone settings to where they needed to be,  then I printed the GP result out and taped it to his forehead for review when he regains consciousness.

What finally tipped me off was that I wasnt getting smilies or pop down menus.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

djkimmel

WHEW! I still don't have a broad enough grasp of all this stuff to quickly respond to everyone's problems. I've been pretty lucky so far, but I have learned a ton of things since last winter when I first installed this forum... and I learn more all day. I can say I am not a GPO expert (although I have learned a few tricks... that's all I will say out loud ;D).

I LOVE minions!!! They always do stuff like that. I ran an EDI claim process on my job one day and it failed after doing some things it shouldn't do. I started backtracking and found that someone had changed a simple, but key setting in an abstract. I was the only one normally working with these abstracts so I never expected a change.

The only other person(s) who had access are the kind of people who don't do this kind of work normally (and that's all I'll say about that too), but one of them, for some reason I will never understand, 'decided' it might be interesting the go into the settings and do stuff (with no mention to me, the one person who was actually using them day-to-day).

I never expected it because it was an abnormal occurrence. Of course, the answer to me was I should have been ready for and expected such an occurrence...

Anyone out there... anyone? Should you change system settings on a live system during the business day without knowing exactly what will happen and without notifying the end users of said change??

I think all of us computer guys know the answer... but we also suffer the reality of how other people just sometimes do this stuff because they apparently just get the urge... I like the taped to the forehead thing, but that would have been insubordination in my case... (darn)

Glad everything is (temporarily ;D) back to normal for you bshaner. You don't want to lose access to the important things in life :) Hope you and your better half had fun last weekend.

bshaner

We had a great time!!  She loves to be on the water and for some unknown reason likes to hang out with me.  I'm one of a members only select group of guys who has a woman that fully supports his fishing and will even go camp for weekends while he fishes tournaments. Knows not to expect me home from the lake any time early.  Dinner waiting in the fridge after dark and such.  I dont know how I scored like that because I certainly dont deserve it (just ask any of my ex's).  It's going to be a wonderful source of support as I try to make that trek towards the angler's dream.  If nothing else she'll be there to pick me up if I fail in the quest.

So ya, my minion has recovered from his coma and promised never to do it again.

Everything is all back to normal.  I can use smilies again!!!   ::) 8) :o ;D

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

djkimmel